Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:28:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685055
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best  (Read 140054 times)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 191013: GZG cargo containers WIP
« Reply #540 on: October 13, 2019, 10:37:24 AM »
Trying to do something, anything, rather than complaining about not having time. Now I've tried to file and fix up a set of not perfectly cast GZG containers, undercoating them while the children were playing with puzzles.

Containers by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

These rather rough casts got some cheap acrylics on them, which might add a bit of texture. Hopefully, this will make the drybrushing look more interesting.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #541 on: October 13, 2019, 04:52:43 PM »
Little progress is a good thing, unfortunate we can't just do our hobbies all day everyday  :? Oh how I wish we could  :D

Thank You for the information on the Lizard  Swarm, checking out for some on Ebay. I want to use them in a jungle planet project with the "Five Parsecs from Home, Salvage Crew"

Looking forward  to your truck project!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 03:40:12 AM by War Monkey »
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #542 on: October 14, 2019, 01:25:35 PM »
I do find that sitting down and doing something daily is important for progress. Every so often I get big chunks of time to dedicate to my hobby, but most of the time it is just a bit while I wait for dinner to be ready, or a bit after my wife falls asleep watching football lol

Sadly, there is a TON of hobby time that isn't sexy finished products. Most of it falls into the "I gotta base this" or "undercoat that" category. But for every project that gets undercoated, it is one step closer to being final. I need reminded of that too. I'll sit and look for something to finish, when really I need to sit and look for figures to glue to bases, or things that haven't been undercoated.

Online zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #543 on: October 14, 2019, 08:52:48 PM »
Cook if it's any help , i undercoat & base coat minis in batches so that i find them ready when the muse to paint & the time is available. Unfortunately my work is in fits & starts :D

Like so http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/2019/07/zenithal-airbrush-to-quickly-paint.html

I have 4 spray can undercoats, grey, black,white & terracotta. Grey is the best one for a fine Matt finish & it takes inks superbly.
 I then give then an airbrush basecoat & store them until it is time to paint.
That way i don't have to wait. Oh & i base my minis on 1 or 2 euro cents.

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #544 on: October 16, 2019, 11:24:11 AM »
Assembly by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

I try to clean/base/undercoat in large batches, so that I can focus on painting when I have some hobby time.

Last night I finished undercoating the containers  :o

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #545 on: October 16, 2019, 01:49:36 PM »
Ock, do you spray undercoat?

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #546 on: October 16, 2019, 09:19:41 PM »
Ock, do you spray undercoat?

Mainly on terrain and (sometimes) on vehicles. I'm afraid that I will spray a too thick coat, obscuring details, so instead I'm undercoating minis by hand.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #547 on: October 17, 2019, 12:34:45 PM »
That is what I assumed, but it looked like your work surface had spray on it so I thought I would ask. Frankly, I've never found spraying primer to obscure details, but I don't do it mostly because I feel like the coverage is ultimately spotty as figures have a lot of small details that require spraying from a dozen different angles. I rarely spray terrain pieces because I feel like most of my building materials don't play well with spray paint. Foam, cardboard, etc. While it is fast, I find that the end result is not great so I brush prime everything.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #548 on: October 17, 2019, 01:07:40 PM »
Right, it's from when I was undercoating my Zombicide miniatures, I'm not as picky with soft plastic 28mm figures. The latest terrain I used spray to undercoat was my colony buildings made from soap trays and plasticard:

Steiner & Krüger Sicherheit by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Edit: Although they had to be brush undercoated too in the end. Not good enough coverage!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #549 on: October 18, 2019, 05:47:23 AM »
I will have to try the brushed on primer, I have been painting for some time and all ways heard everyone using spray, seeing what has been posted here, had me do some thinking and checked out paint on primer and I like the idea of it, winter here is rather long and I can use the paint on anytime really instead of waiting for better weather. I'm always leaning something new.

Thank You, Gents

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #550 on: October 18, 2019, 09:53:58 AM »
I will have to try the brushed on primer, I have been painting for some time and all ways heard everyone using spray, seeing what has been posted here, had me do some thinking and checked out paint on primer and I like the idea of it, winter here is rather long and I can use the paint on anytime really instead of waiting for better weather. I'm always leaning something new.

Thank You, Gents

Well, I'm not using a specific paint on primer, I'm usually using cheap acrylics (or my usual game colours). Sometimes I've used black gesso, but I think it often gives too much texture.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #551 on: October 21, 2019, 02:14:56 PM »
Containers WIP by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Basecoated, soon to be finished!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #552 on: October 21, 2019, 11:35:01 PM »
I figured I will have to prime a few of my figures over again  because the rattle can just doesn't get everywhere it needs too.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 191029: The Postal Service
« Reply #553 on: October 29, 2019, 07:28:53 PM »
The Postal Service by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

You can find them on every world, in every system. Some are government-owned, others private, but they all share a preference for one-coloured uniforms (often with a mandatory cap to wear).
Even in a galaxy where replicators, nano-assemblers and fabricators are pretty common, there's a need for someone to deliver things. The companies might have different names and uniforms, but to the broad public they are known as "The Postal Service".

On stable worlds, where law and order is properly upheld, postal workers are respected and revered, working alone to deliver post and packages.
In lawless territory, though, postal workers work together in armed bands. Due to earlier problems with lost or damaged post, the cargo is often carried in armoured and EM-shielded boxes and containers.
The statures of the Intergalactic Postal Union (IPU) states that armed confrontation is to be avoided as far as possible, but if the postal workers are in mortal danger, the Postmaster may authorize the use of lethal force.

For personal protection, the IPU recommends the PowerBroker J-19 Handheld Energy Pistol (power settings: Jostle, Stun, Hurt, and Kill).
For crowd control and serious defense, the IPU recommends shotguns with Showstopper ammo. Each Showstopper shell contains vials of chemicals and a miniature computer controlling the mixture. Originally designed for incapacitating mechs, the standard firing mode creates a rapid expanding, fast-setting foam that will hinder any movement. The standard lethal firing mode turns the weapon into an ordinary shotgun, as the chemical mixture hardens into a brittle resin that fractures into smaller pieces when fired.
Although unauthorized by the IPU, override signals may be used to modify the Showstopper shells' mixture, creating exotic rounds like explosive ammo, effective against armoured targets, or highly corrosive acid rounds, melting the flesh of whoever hit.
These mixtures aren't unauthorized due to their high lethality, but due to the increased risk to damage the carried post and packages...

The Postal Service by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 191029: The Postal Service
« Reply #554 on: October 29, 2019, 07:37:03 PM »
I wish my postman carried a fancy shotgun. Take care of dummies stealing packages off of porches.  >:(

Awesome job, and the various boxes in the background are awesome!

One other thing I noticed... what is the big power coil object? Looks a bit like a Tesla tower from the old Command & Conquer video games.