Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:02:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best  (Read 140772 times)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Five Parsecs from Home - Update 27/4, Skulltaker
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 02:27:12 PM »
IMG_0634 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

A female voice reverberated through the entire ship, carried by the newly hacked PA system: "You have been boarded by the Crimson Reavers!"
A brief pause followed, then a second announcement: "You can choose to fight. If so, most of you will die. We will spare one of you, to warn other crews about what happens when you choose to fight the Crimson Reavers."
Another pause, then the last announcement: "Or you can surrender. We will take your cargo, we will take your ship. But we will spare your lives. Because Captain Britney spares!"
Silence permeated the ship. Then, one crew member stepped out behind a bulkhead, put his weapon on the decking and lifted his hands above his head and said "Captain Britney spares." One by one, the other crew members followed, their voices echoing through the ship "Captain Britney spares! Britney spares!"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 08:46:22 AM by Ockman »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
She better watch out, the local spice girls cartel will not like her stealing their shipments.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
Nice paint job, terrible pun  lol
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
She better watch out, the local spice girls cartel will not like her stealing their shipments.

"Oops, I did it again!", Captain Britney exclaimed after claiming yet another shipment belonging to the Spice Girls cartel. What she didn't know was that the cargo held a hidden homing beacon and that she had walked into a trap set by the cartel. Soon, the Crimson Reavers would be hunted by the dreaded, cybernetically enhanced bounty hunter X-Tina Eaglesnest...

Nice paint job, terrible pun  lol

Thanks! I do enjoy writing stupid little stories about my miniatures and when I decided to paint a red bodysuit, well... I couldn't pass the chance!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Lovely mini and funny too - what's not to like?! 5 Parsecs is great ins't it? I've been using Pulp Alley and Void Pirates more recently but I still love 5 Parsecs for simple, human-to-human skirmishes.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Lovely mini and funny too - what's not to like?! 5 Parsecs is great ins't it? I've been using Pulp Alley and Void Pirates more recently but I still love 5 Parsecs for simple, human-to-human skirmishes.

Thanks, Jagannath!

Ever since I read Spacejacker's review of Five Parsecs from Home, I've been a huge fan. Though I've got to say that I've mainly used the character creation and campaign system, since I don't have anyone to play with (although I've played a couple of solo games).
Pulp Alley was my go to system before FPfH, I do like that it is plot point driven, rather than all out shooting. Haven't tried Void Pirates, is it any good?

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Yeah I like it - the goalsystem mechanic is really good, nice and simple (not unlike the 1s and 6s of FiveCore) so easy to play with and chop and change. I agree though - I still use all the 5 Parsecs tables, even character creation - I just bodge the results into different game systems.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Yeah I like it - the goalsystem mechanic is really good, nice and simple (not unlike the 1s and 6s of FiveCore) so easy to play with and chop and change. I agree though - I still use all the 5 Parsecs tables, even character creation - I just bodge the results into different game systems.

If you ever come up with simple instructions, guidelines, whatever for HOW you do that, wouldn't mind a look.

Thanks!

Oh, and don't encourage him. I can't stand the pun-ishment.

Doug

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
If you ever come up with simple instructions, guidelines, whatever for HOW you do that, wouldn't mind a look.

Thanks!

Oh, and don't encourage him. I can't stand the pun-ishment.

Doug

It's all a bodge basically - most of my Sci Fi adventure gaming is solo, which means I don't need to worry about balance. So whatever I roll in 5 Parsecs I try and mimic with either Pulp Alley or Void Pirates rules. I'm not sure it would lead to 'fair' games for opponents!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Fair enough, though some of the folks I play with don't mind. I've been the leader of many a forlorn hope, and not JUST from my strategy and die-rolling...  lol

Thanks!

Doug

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Fair enough, though some of the folks I play with don't mind. I've been the leader of many a forlorn hope, and not JUST from my strategy and die-rolling...  lol

Thanks!

Doug

Basically I have a no frills trooper started up in the back of my mind. I then tweak any stats I need to represent my character from there - I've long since given up on the 'rules' of character creation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! Anyway, sorry to derail - let's see more 15s Ockman!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
This might be the first time, since I've started with 15 mm, that I've started a terrain project using only ideas I've come up with on my own.

Trying to copy Spacejacker's jungle terrain , I got some soap holders from TGR (http://tinysolitarysoldiers.blogspot.se/2015/03/jungle-terrain.html)

I realized that the bowl left after removing the plants would look great as a building if you added some doors and other shapes. Better yet, if I didn't base the buildings, I could use them on different terrain boards.

Now, the big question is: what colour scheme should I use? It should look good on a city board, a forest/jungle/badlands board and (perhaps in the future) a winter board. Grey? Green? White? I don't know! Although, the more I look at it, the more I think it looks like buildings from some 90's RTS game...

Starting material: Soap dish, plasticard, greeblies from GZG.

IMG_20170517_210406_886 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Plasticard cut to strips, dish disassembled.

Cut some more, add some glue and you have something that looks like a communications centre.

DSC_0281 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Add some paint, and it looks even better!

DSC_0284 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Perhaps this will be the motor pool?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 08:51:49 AM by Ockman »

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
great clean lines.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
great clean lines.

Thanks, Oldben1! All it takes is a steel ruler, a sharp blade and a steady hand.

I must say that your work is an inspiration to me, I looked at your Flickr account and was very impressed!

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Beautiful! Those buildings looked great even before you put paint on them.