Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:27:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686595
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best  (Read 140777 times)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
IMG_0636 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Oh little Johnny, how did you end up here? All you ever wanted was to follow the love of your life off-world. Carmen had the grades and the talent to be awarded a scholarship, and off she went to Ulun to become a starship pilot.

"Come see me, Johnny. I'll wait for you. I'll wait for a while..." she said.

So Johnny did what he could and signed up with Starstone Shipping. Indentured servant, the contract said, but it was the only way he could ever leave that backwater planet. Once the trade ship reached Ulun, Johnny jumped ship. Carmen was delighted ...until that bounty hunter came to bring Johnny back.

Boss-man said that the bounty fee would be added to Johnny's debt, as well as a fine for contract breach. Starstone Shipping practically owned him now. He took a couple of knife fights in the pits to clear some of his debt, but it still wasn't enough.

---

The ship had been boarded by the Crimson Reavers, pirates that promised no harm to the crew - as long as they surrendered without a fight. Boss-man would have none of that, stating that he'd blow the entire ship to smithereens, crew, boarders and cargo, rather than leaving it to pirates. With the entire ship locked down and the mainframe computer offline, the pirates were caught while Boss-man went for the reactor controls...

---

Something happened with the light. Instead of emergency lighting, the main bulbs were turned on. The doors were suddenly unlocked. The door to the hold where the pirates had been stuck opened and a young man with bloody hands held high stepped out. The pirates aimed their weapons at him, but no-one fired. After a moment of tense silence, the young man started to talk:

"The ship is yours, the cargo, everything. Just don't hurt the crew. Boss-man is dead, but so will I be if Starstone Shipping ever finds me again. Or if not dead, I'll be a slave again. Please, let me join your crew."

A moment of silence, then the captain answered "You may join us. What's your name?"

"Johnny... I mean Juan. Juan Rico."

IMG_0648 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

I am very happy with the painting on the back of his black leather jacket.

IMG_0639 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

I am also very happy with my first experiment with NMM.

Seems as if some sand got misplaced when priming, though...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 08:54:33 AM by Ockman »

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Five Parsecs from Home - Update June 15, Little Johnny
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 01:52:27 PM »
Taking a break from my pirate crew to write a story for an old mini:

IMG_20170629_154504_020 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

The CyberDynamics XX-46 was, when first produced, the most advanced robotic companion ever made. With adamantium-infused plasteel body, powerful quantum based neural networking and groundbreaking AI, it was a technological marvel.

Commissioned by a misogynic, all male tech cult known only as "Gaters", the early test models were rejected. Official reports says there were "problems with the personality core", although internal memos show full functionality. Later builds used AI dampeners, limited neural networking and "working pleasure orifices" to meet the cult's requirements.

Information is scarce about the events that led to "the Fall of the Gaters" (also known as "the FemBot Uprising"), but scholars theorize that cultists known as "Modders" found out about the constraints CyberDynamics put on the XX-46 and removed them. Communications from the Gaters' High Temple ceased shortly thereafter. Cultists coming back from out-system missions returned to find their brethren slaughtered and all of the XX-46 gone.

Centuries later, the XX-46 can still be found all across the galaxy. They are highly sought after as they combine high intelligence with combat proficiency and are often hired as bodyguards, investigators or assassins. Remnants of the Gater cult has sworn to destroy every last XX-46 unit. To avoid attention, most XX-46 has undertaken extensive chassis modification, but one can still find unmodified units on the galactic fringe. Pictured above is one such specimen, SU-Z13 (Suzie), investigating a cold-blooded murder on Golgotha Prime.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 08:55:08 AM by Ockman »

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: [15mm] Five Parsecs from Home - Update June 29: XX-46 "FemBot"
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2017, 03:02:45 PM »
Another great character - love it. Is this background extrapolated from Five Parsecs table results?

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2017, 08:57:32 PM »
Another great character - love it. Is this background extrapolated from Five Parsecs table results?

Thanks, Jagannath!

I roll an awful lot of characters, sometimes I use the results unmodified, sometimes I make changes to fit the model (or my vision).

The latest story is based on a character I rolled up in september 2015, although it's been stewing in my head for a long time. Here she is in all her glory:

SU-Z13

Trouble Shooter
Tech Guild
Escape
WarBot

Handgun + suppression maul
Blast Rifle

(I prefer rolling class first)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2017, 08:31:41 PM »
DSC_0130_1 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

"A NeoDyne security officer was found dead in the aftermath of the latest miner uprising. Local police is investigating the death as murder, though no suspects has yet been apprahended. Head of Neodyne Security promises to bring 'swift and brutal justice' to the ones responsible.
In other news..."
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 08:58:00 AM by Ockman »

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: [15mm] Five Parsecs from Home - Update July 5, "...in other news"
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2017, 08:47:03 PM »
Brilliant.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2017, 09:27:38 PM »
Brilliant.

Thanks, Jagannath!

Now I'm wondering where I could find sci-fi miners in 15mm? I'd rather have models equipped for work than combat and rather models dressed for atmospheric work, than in space suits. A part of me would love Necromunda Pit Slave-style minis in 15mm.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2017, 09:32:17 PM »
Yeah that'd be great - I think Stuart from Slap Minis said he was planning to do some - maybe rest that project until then! Alternatively, do the miners need to be human? If not, what about the GZG alien mercs - muscley miners if ever I saw some - though admittedly not equipped with mining equipment...

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Five Parsecs from Home - Update July 12, City tile WIP
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2017, 06:54:43 PM »
Trying to change my photo hosting to Flickr (although I don't know if that's good or not), so this is just a test post.

I've been reading a lot of children's books to my son and we've both been hooked on swedish author Jan Lööf. His art is amazing and made me want to do something different with my city terrain. Architecture must still be of interest in the far flung future and perhaps "Earth Classic" is a style (kind of like renaissance, but focusing on nineteenth to twentysecond century arcitecture).

Anyway, here is a WIP of some buildings on Golgotha Prime:

DSC_0655 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 2017-07-23
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2017, 03:14:07 PM »
I've brought some hobby supplies with me while vacationing at my in-laws place and since my wife is eight months pregnant (and somewhat tired), I've got some time in the evenings to build and paint.

I've been reading a lot of books to my son and sometimes childrens' books can be an excellent source of inspiration. We're both very interested in the works of Jan Lööf, which has inspired my latest build.

Examples:
http://media.bonnierforlagen.se/bokbilder/tif/9789163885914.jpg
http://d6jf7ok6u1qis.cloudfront.net/imengine/image.php?uuid=d40dee53-e917-487e-880f-3c5805b25840&type=preview&source=false&function=thumbnail&width=2500&height=2000&q=72
http://media.bonnierforlagen.se/bokbilder/tif/9789163863424.jpg

I thought that building five small buildings would take less time than building large buildings... I was wrong! But anyway I am happy with the outcome. I might add some signage and perhaps some kind of details to the streets, but otherwise everything is finished and done.

DSC_0813 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Left to right: Warehouse (thinking about adding a sign saying IMPORT/EXPORT above the entrance), Bar/shop (thinking about adding a non-specific sign, like "Lefty's" or "Rio" above) and a hotel/flophouse

DSC_0815 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Side of warehouse, I use posters to tie my terrain together with older buildings I've already made. Ladder made out of strip styrene to make it possible to get up on the roof.

DSC_0821 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Hotel/flophouse entrance and non-descript maintenance tower, overgrown with ivy.

DSC_0818 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Backside shot.

DSC_0816 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

DSC_0822 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Photos from above.

So... what do you think?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:27:55 AM by Ockman »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2017, 07:18:10 PM »
Very nice. I have to keep reminding myself that they are 15mm scale.

I would suggest some gutters as an excuse for drain pipes on the brick building

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2017, 06:19:32 PM »
Very nice. I have to keep reminding myself that they are 15mm scale.

I would suggest some gutters as an excuse for drain pipes on the brick building

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it! Would love to keep on detailing with gutters and other stuff, but I want to make more terrain first. My city board takes 22 10x10 cm squares and this terrain piece takes up only two squares...

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, The Photobucket Fix
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2017, 10:10:18 AM »
Forgotten and abandoned for centuries, but still in working condition, the Grimlock Correctional Facility seemed to be an excellent hideaway for the Crimson Reavers. The asteroid base had everything the pirate crew needed: hangars, storage, living quarters, workshops and infirmaries. But most important, it was well hidden.

They found him in a cryopod. The log said that the occupant was a "Star Reaver" known only as "Fabbe" and that he had been frozen in suspended animation for over six centuries. Nothing in the log could explain why he was left behind when the facility was abandoned, so the crew un-thawed Fabbe to hear his story.

"They were experiencing problems with the gravity generator and it made me really sick. They put me in here while they were fixing it. Must have forgotten me down here.", Fabbe said. He went on: "The pirate's life suited me well, all you have to do is reave and take stuff... and I do like that!". He paused. "Although I never liked zero-G conditions. Makes me wanna puke, you know? Almost made me quit this reaving business...". He looked up at Captain Britney, and asked "Do you need another experienced Star Reaver in your crew?"

That's how Fabbe, Star Reaver (behind his back called Grandpa's pa), came to be one of the Crimson Reavers. Although pale and grey in zero-G action, he strikes fear in his enemies with his fierce battlecry "Tjohej haddelittan lej!"

IMG_0677 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0678 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0681 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0682 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, The Photobucket Fix + Star Reaver Fabbe
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2017, 11:53:14 AM »
Another corker! It's a good mini that one, love it. I'm glad you've fixed the photo bucket issue, I was sad it got this thread. I've not complimented your buildings - they look great!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, The Photobucket Fix + Star Reaver Fabbe
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2017, 12:13:02 PM »
Another corker! It's a good mini that one, love it. I'm glad you've fixed the photo bucket issue, I was sad it got this thread. I've not complimented your buildings - they look great!

Thanks, Jagannath. This time I even feel a bit bad, 'cause I based the character on an Astrid Lindgren-song my two-year-old loves :)

Soundtrack: https://play.spotify.com/user/wenis04/playlist/0RSVdrquY3FeMKQ9glIRcS?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open