Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:33:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best  (Read 140761 times)

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 171221: GZG shopping list
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2017, 06:07:49 PM »
I just discovered combat zone scenery earlier this month.  Some of their 28mm stuff looks nice too.  Reasonably priced.  Here is what I'm after:

http://combatzone-scenery.co.uk/epages/e25b18fb-c32b-422a-8493-a8baeb0f1a17.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/e25b18fb-c32b-422a-8493-a8baeb0f1a17/Products/AC005

Hard to find on their site.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 171221: GZG shopping list
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2017, 06:17:36 PM »
Oh, those accessories look great, Oldben1!

I've spent too much money already, and I'm waiting for Antenocitis to re-release their 15mm terrain line. But I'll keep this in mind!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 180101: Older city board
« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2018, 10:34:48 PM »
I have shown my badlands/wilderness board, but only pieces of my city board. I'm working on more detailed, scratchbuilt buildings, but I already have a full board of mdf buildings.

The board consists of four 30x30 cm tiles (inspired by Spacejacker's work: LINK and LINK, although the best pics are found on his instagram account, @spacejacker).
I've based my buildings on differently sized bases (mainly 98x98mm, 198x98mm, 148x98mm or 48x98mm) to be able to create a modular city.

Behold: Golgotha Prime!
(name of the planet and it's largest settlement/city)

DSC_0132 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

DSC_0133 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

The last picture shows the aftermath of a targeted bombing. Private detective/assassin bot SU-Z13 is investigating the bomb site in search of leads.

Evidence suggests merchant house heir/freedom fighter/alleged terrorist Lorelei Lander, but SU-Z13 finds this a bit too convenient, since NeoDyne Security shortly before the bombing emptied the buildings, due to "upcoming renovations"...

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2018, 02:19:47 AM »
Wow, now that’s a board.

I really like all the details( chalk outline) and especially the sidewalks.

Where are the buildings from?

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2018, 05:37:46 AM »
Awesome! That looks simply great. Even more as it looks like you can actually play very well on the board!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2018, 07:38:54 AM »
Wow, now that’s a board.

I really like all the details( chalk outline) and especially the sidewalks.

Where are the buildings from?

Thanks, Michael!

The buildings are from Mad Mecha Guy, he has the worst webshop I've ever seen, but the buildings are cheap. It cost me £6.50 for the 90x60mm apartments, £7 for the two stories high shops, £8 for the 100x50mm shops with green roof and that’s everything shown here (well, the bar came with a three story building, that cost me £6.50).
I've even got a couple of more buildings not built/painted yet (one two story shop and two shops with green roof).

Awesome! That looks simply great. Even more as it looks like you can actually play very well on the board!

Thanks, DivisMal (Florian?)!

I've got to aquire some street clutter and vehicles to restrict the line of fire, but otherwise I concur!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2018, 10:30:16 AM »
Nice board.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2018, 01:34:51 PM »

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2018, 09:59:15 PM »
That's a really clever system.  The green splashes of foliage really help make it feel like a "lived in" space and not just a random collection of junk plonked down on the table.  Those planter boxes are great - simple and effective like all the best terrain pieces.  I'm going to have to try my hand at whipping up a few for my own table. 

I can highly recommend 15mm vehicles from Khurasan and Alternative Armies.  They mix well together.  The latter are a little beefier than the former, but that makes for a better mix of makes and models on the table.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2018, 10:24:30 PM »
Nice work.
I love the modular nature of it.
Options are always good.
 8) 8)

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2018, 08:15:19 PM »
Nice work.
Options are always good.

Yeah, there's an art to planning out decent modular boards like this that I haven't quite mastered yet.  There's always some little hang-up that makes it impossible to rotate them into alignment or that makes the games on the boards feel too cramped or too open or just not look right.  I really should just copy verbatim what other people do...

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2018, 11:15:34 PM »
Nice work.
Options are always good.
 8) 8)

Thanks, Mason!

That's a really clever system.  The green splashes of foliage really help make it feel like a "lived in" space and not just a random collection of junk plonked down on the table.  Those planter boxes are great - simple and effective like all the best terrain pieces.  I'm going to have to try my hand at whipping up a few for my own table. 

I can highly recommend 15mm vehicles from Khurasan and Alternative Armies.  They mix well together.  The latter are a little beefier than the former, but that makes for a better mix of makes and models on the table.

Yeah, there's an art to planning out decent modular boards like this that I haven't quite mastered yet.  There's always some little hang-up that makes it impossible to rotate them into alignment or that makes the games on the boards feel too cramped or too open or just not look right.  I really should just copy verbatim what other people do...

Thanks for the kind words!

I've got two of Khurasan's hovercars and a Hazlewurm and Collabretta from the Ion Age, enough to put one vehicle in each quadrant at least.

When it comes to planning, these are my ground rules:
- Sketch first. Sketch multiple buildings, rotate them and look for problems with eventual setup before you start building.
- Always include pavement/empty space on each tile, large enough to at least accomodate a miniature's base (in my case 20mm). This will make it possible to create alleys and passages where minis can move. On my latest tiles I usually put a L-shaped pavement 20mm wide on the building base.
- Put doors adjacent to pavement, so that they should be able to open.
- If one wants a row of buildings, don't put protuding details on the edge of the base. One could use recessed doors, though.
- Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to be creative!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 180101: GZG freebies!
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2018, 09:49:34 AM »
Christmas chaos and holidays delayed my GZG order - it took two weeks for it to arrive from UK to Sweden, instead of arriving before I've even sent my order as it usually does ;)

If anyone is interested in what I ordered, my order is on page 8. These are the freebies I got:

SG15-IF24 Islamic Federation Command and Comms pack - in Shemagh
This is a great pack to bolster my skirmish force, a pack I was thinking about ordering anyway! I am very fond of the pistol wielding mini with a communicator.

SG15-M08 Mercs with assorted rifles (Female troops) in helmets
Adds some possible variation to my all female Merc warband.

SG15-E41 ESU Regular Army Rifles pack A (with free SAW gunner)
Something new that I hadn't seen before. I will surely find a use for them!

V15-120G Light airportable jeep with Generic crew
This was really cool, and the crew looks a lot like the colonists I've already bought in an earlier shipment, so it will be of great use for the colonists!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 180201: Inspiration
« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2018, 12:32:50 PM »
Okay, so I haven't had any time for my hobby since November, only posting new photos of old stuff.

But I've had some time to surf around, thinking about other hobbyists who have inspired me and I wanted to make a tribute to them. Here, I have collected photos, links and other stuff that has inspired me since I started with 15mm. The photos aren't mine and if you want me to delete them, just tell me.

IMG_3682 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

photo (4) by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

layout by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Resc by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

When I first started with 15mm miniatures, I learned everything from Spacejacker: how to paint, how to build terrain, how to base, where to buy miniatures, which systems to play ...the list goes on. Even though he hasn't updated his blog in two years, I return, time and time again to http://tinysolitarysoldiers.blogspot.se/ and @Spacejacker on instagram.

PPP-patrol-ps by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Another miniaturist I've followed for a long time is Painting Agency http://paintingagency.blogspot.se/ (or @paintingagency on instagram). He makes these wonderful vignettes, sometimes with paper terrain, sometimes with photoshop. Any which way, they are amazing.

Mos Eisley cantina by oldben1, on Flickr

Our own Oldben1 is a huge source of inspiration, his projects bring me much joy, from the interesting terrain ideas to the wonderfully painted minis to his many tiny boards. He can be found on instagram as @winnipegmichael or on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/26861900@N00/albums

DSC03528 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

DSC03529 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

DSC05630 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

DSC05666 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Tales from Farpoint http://talesfromfarpoint.blogspot.se/ makes me very happy, anxious and angry. Happy because he has so many great projects and his 15mm sci-fi is superb. Anxious because he shifts focus a lot, which means that a project that has excited me might be put on the backburner for a long time. Angry because he sometimes when he shifts focus decides to sell of his minis - and I still haven't bought any!

IMG_0940_zpsv7fllsuy by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0353_zpsylcaajgk by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Mason has been a huge inspiration when it comes to terrain. His Upsheet Creek has been lurking in the back of my mind for a long time and I love his sci-fi:ing up of his wild west buildings (as well as his M.O.O.S.E. project - wonderful) http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=60011.0 http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=39808.0

img_0246-1-e1493989235951 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Our own Jagannath has done a lot of great work, he has a very nice instagram: @bladesandblastersminis and a great blog https://bladesandblasters.com/. Very inspiring to see minis being able to both be used in fantasy as well as sci-fi settings.

---

I have most certainly forgotten some (many) of my other sources of inspiration (Hello andym!), but I just want to say thank you for everything. Check out #15milminis on instagram, it's a great hashtag filled with great photos.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 180201: Inspiration
« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2018, 03:34:37 PM »
Aw dude, cheers - glad you've picked that pic too, it's a good'un! Glad you've included Mason too, I agree - his terrain is super inspirational, I love what he does with small boards.