Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:22:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689604
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 588
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best  (Read 142842 times)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 180424: Need help, please!
« Reply #195 on: April 24, 2018, 09:42:27 PM »
I used graffiti to make mine more colorfull apart from rust and moss effects.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #196 on: April 25, 2018, 03:48:14 PM »
I would agree with the limited paint scheme, although your colorful buildings are really awesome!  A few accents here and there will help break up the grey.

I like orange doors, but a rusty yellow might look cool too.

You could use a rusty wash on the bottom to add some depth, or some posters too.  What about some lettering or numbers?

New domiciles. by oldben1, on Flickr

Nice buildings, inspiring! I think I will go with a yellow frame, grey door and yellow panels on the doors, but I'm still not sure...

I went the same way for my terrain. Mostly drybrush different layers of gray and small colorful accents. My experience: keep the color limited. You can use it for vents, windows, chimneys, in few cases where it seems easily paintable also a "frame" around the building.
Otherwise it gets too messy and unfocussed.

*Ion cannon charging*

I loved C&C!

I think that limited palette is the way to go, I think I will be pretty restricted in using colours. I don't think that I've seen your terrain, do you have a link, Florian?

I used graffiti to make mine more colorfull apart from rust and moss effects.

I think these will be a bit bland to make them usable in multiple settings. But otherwise, I'm totaly with you!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #197 on: April 25, 2018, 04:28:25 PM »
Nice buildings, inspiring! I think I will go with a yellow frame, grey door and yellow panels on the doors, but I'm still not sure...

I think that limited palette is the way to go, I think I will be pretty restricted in using colours. I don't think that I've seen your terrain, do you have a link, Florian?

I think these will be a bit bland to make them usable in multiple settings. But otherwise, I'm totaly with you!

I totally agree. Limit the palette for the terrain to make the minis shine!

No, I haven't posted pics of my terrain yet. I only have pretty bad ones taken with my phone available. Maybe I'll post them tonigt. My minis are mostly still packed after moving from Berlin to Hannover (for a new job) and I still haven't found the time to work properly on them.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #198 on: April 25, 2018, 09:40:33 PM »
Florian, I really liked your terrain pictures! Hope you'll soon get set at your new place. Moving is a pain.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #199 on: April 26, 2018, 05:42:23 AM »
Florian, I really liked your terrain pictures! Hope you'll soon get set at your new place. Moving is a pain.

Thanks! I’ve seen your comment. Moving is indeed a pest. And probably it’ll be another one soon:
I moved from Berlin into the flat of my wife (after several years with two jobs in different cities) and now this means that actually we need (and finally can afford) a bigger flat that includes a Mancave for me!

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #200 on: April 26, 2018, 08:59:11 AM »
Maybe just a stripe around the main building and some numbers in the same colour on the roof? You could paint the stripe or possibly use sticky labels or masking/ washi tape cut to shape.
Depending on how many buildings you'll be making you could use different colours for each block. That way you'd be adding more colour accents but everything still would be looking fairly coherent.
Hope you don't mind that I painted over your pic but that seemed the easiest way to explain.
sanity is for cowards

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #201 on: April 26, 2018, 09:15:50 AM »
All of the above advice seems very sound to me.

The answer seems to be to 'keep it as simple' which also helps to keep things generic and as useful as possible in different situations/settings.

I made the mistake of adding 'Mordheim flavoured' posters to some of my early scenery and now find myself having to go back and remove or cover them so that they are not so genre-specific.
You have been warned!
 ;) :D

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #202 on: April 26, 2018, 12:47:21 PM »
Thanks everyone for ideas!

Maybe just a stripe around the main building and some numbers in the same colour on the roof? You could paint the stripe or possibly use sticky labels or masking/ washi tape cut to shape.
Depending on how many buildings you'll be making you could use different colours for each block. That way you'd be adding more colour accents but everything still would be looking fairly coherent.
Hope you don't mind that I painted over your pic but that seemed the easiest way to explain.

Thanks for the picture, it looks pretty neat! I think I will start with less colour though.

All of the above advice seems very sound to me.

The answer seems to be to 'keep it as simple' which also helps to keep things generic and as useful as possible in different situations/settings.

I made the mistake of adding 'Mordheim flavoured' posters to some of my early scenery and now find myself having to go back and remove or cover them so that they are not so genre-specific.
You have been warned!
 ;) :D

I take that warning seriously, I will keep it simple!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 180426: Basement finds
« Reply #203 on: April 26, 2018, 12:57:57 PM »
After seeing this on instagram, i had to go dig in the cellar https://www.instagram.com/p/BhHi8yilwzK/

And look what I found:

DSC_0372 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #204 on: April 26, 2018, 01:15:43 PM »
After seeing this on instagram, i had to go dig in the cellar https://www.instagram.com/p/BhHi8yilwzK/

And look what I found:

DSC_0372 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Oh wow! These are awesome. Many small 28mm minis actually work really well with 15s.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2018, 04:03:07 PM »
Those stripes are perfect!

Just enough of a pop to make the buildings look more detailed.  Great work.

I wonder if these prefab structures actually have stripes and numbers.  They look good.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2018, 07:14:24 PM »
Oh wow! These are awesome. Many small 28mm minis actually work really well with 15s.

I'm looking for tyranid rippers and hormagaunts for some alien horror, necron scarabs and night schyte for droids and dropship. Kastelan robots or even an Imperial knight would be cool as well...

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 180523: Unsorted ideas
« Reply #207 on: May 23, 2018, 11:12:08 PM »
Okay, so work has been hell, I've planned and executed a naming party for my daughter in another city 300 km from here and now I'm on parental leave for the rest of the year (but do not think that I'm having more hobby time because taking care of a toddler and a baby is hard work). Still, when the kids are on the swing set or resting (hah!) one can think about what one would like to do hobbywise.

- Wouldn't it be wonderful to have custom made buildings/vehicles/spaceships for your gangs? A hideout or spaceship for the pirate crew, a secluded base and all terrain vehicle for the tech-archeologists, some kind of headquarters for the evil corporation and so on and so on?

- Perhaps I should roll up a gang (with Five Parsecs from Home, 1st ed), pick models and paint it with a cohesive colourscheme? I really enjoy my pirates, it would be nice with some good guys. Perhaps some space gangsters as well?

- I've got a lot of half-finished models and buildings. It might be pretty easy finishing them. That would be great!

- Or I could just build a huge city wall, so I either can wall of a piece of my city or I can integrate my badlands board with my city board. But the wall would have to be huge. And the bad guys should pay for it.

- Still, my city terrain needs more scratch built buildings, because now I've got some MDF and some scratchbuilt and they don't really mix that well, so if I want to use my new scratchbuilt terrain, I've got to build more (or accept different styles).

- I've actually got models painted, photographed and ready to publish. But. I have some problems finishing the story I want to post with them... Perhaps I could finish that...

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 180524: HK-series droids
« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2018, 09:44:57 PM »
The Resource War.
World War X.
The Apocalypse.

Known by many names, the brutal conflict is estimated to have killed 60-80% of Earth's population. The war ended with the creation of the United World Government (which, after the Colonization Act was passed, led humanity to its first galactic expansion).

In the aftermath of the war, great walls were erected around the forbidden zones in an attempt to keep looters and scavengers out, while keeping virtulent diseases and mutants in. The tracked warbots tasked with containing break-ins and outbreaks were soon found inadequate, since they could be defeated by jumpable gaps, small doorways and normal stairs.

The HK-series droids were the first mass-produced humanoid warbots, designed with both durability and mobility in mind. The HKs could run, jump, climb and crawl through the radiated ruins of megacities as well as the collapsed corridors of top-secret labs. Instead of going with built-in weaponry, the HKs got hands which could handle weapons, clear ammo jams, operate computers and machinery that required digits, but perhaps most importantly: gave them the ability to open doors.

Although dated, the HK-series are still in use across the galaxy, both on new colonies and older ones. Sometimes, when explorers rediscover failed or lost colonies, they will be met by HKs patrolling the remnants of the colony. More often than not, that meeting will be extremely hostile, since the default setting when orders aren't updated is to revert to defense mode, exterminating every single intruder...

IMG_0995 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0989 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 09:03:30 AM by Ockman »

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 180524: HK-series droids
« Reply #209 on: May 25, 2018, 04:38:52 AM »
Gold is a great color choice.!