Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:28:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best  (Read 140879 times)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 180731: NeoDyne Security
« Reply #240 on: August 08, 2018, 04:00:19 PM »
Wow! some really great stuff on this thread. Inspiring me to build a city board and a colony outpost as well.

Thanks, War Monkey!

The beauty of 15mm is that it's possible to not only have one terrain setup, but multiple! I have one city board, 60x60 cm big (2x2', consisting of 4 30x30 cm tiles (1x1')) and one wilderness board 60x90 cm big (2x3').

Everything takes up 1/3 of a double closet, which is way less than what one 28mm setup would occupy.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #241 on: August 09, 2018, 05:05:49 AM »
I'm wanting to expand on the city boards to cover a 4x4 or 4x6 foot area, I also want to mount them on 1 inch pink board which would be mounted on either hardboard of thin MDF, they then would be elevated so I could make river boards for bridges. Might even make a seaport, I'm totally going to run with this and share my work.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #242 on: August 09, 2018, 02:19:34 PM »
I'm wanting to expand on the city boards to cover a 4x4 or 4x6 foot area, I also want to mount them on 1 inch pink board which would be mounted on either hardboard of thin MDF, they then would be elevated so I could make river boards for bridges. Might even make a seaport, I'm totally going to run with this and share my work.

Wow, this sounds like a great idea! Will you go with static or modular terrain? Either way, a great way to get going is getting some MDF terrain, it's often affordable and builds quick. I started with Mad Mecha Guy stuff, but I don't think he's selling any more. Sarissa Precision sells pretty cool industrial MDF kits.

Anyway, tell me when you start. I'm interested in your project!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #243 on: August 09, 2018, 09:16:15 PM »
Officer down! by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

They found him in an alley, on his back and unresponsive. Both his partner and his weapon were nowhere to be found, but those circumstances, together with a badly cauterized wound on the officer's neck, told part of the story.

Two officers had gone out on patrol. One was dead, one was gone. Perhaps there had been a third party involved, someone who had kidnapped the missing officer. The investigators were pretty sure there weren't. This happened fairly often with NeoDyne Security employees.

Perhaps the corporation was doubting the dead man's loyalty and had decided to act before he'd betray them. Perhaps the dead man had been ordered to eliminate the suspected betrayer, only to be taken out himself.

Either way, the investigators probably wouldn't find the killer. If it was NeoDyne Security sanctioning it, the killer would be promoted and transfered far away from any investigation. If it wasn't, the killer would disappeared off system. With a new ID and a new face, the killer might stay off NeoDyne's radar, but they would never stop looking...

Chalk outline by Oscar Falk, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:37:57 AM by Ockman »

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 180809: NeoDyne Security
« Reply #244 on: August 09, 2018, 10:46:52 PM »
Wow, this sounds like a great idea! Will you go with static or modular terrain? Either way, a great way to get going is getting some MDF terrain, it's often affordable and builds quick. I started with Mad Mecha Guy stuff, but I don't think he's selling any more. Sarissa Precision sells pretty cool industrial MDF kits.

No I will do modular so I can have different set-ups, I sent an e-mail to Ma Mecha Guy and waiting to here back His site is still up, it's just saying not taking any orders.  ???

Really like the Chalk outline! I have several "Down" modern military from "Peter Pig" and some other that I'm using for civilians from him as well that I will be using in my games also found some 1/87 scale military zombies on Shapeways.com I know they might be a little big but seems nobody else makes any sets in 15mm range.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #245 on: August 10, 2018, 12:07:31 AM »
That chalk outline is so cool.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #246 on: August 10, 2018, 01:54:59 PM »
That chalk outline is so cool.

Thanks, Michael! It's one of my favorite terrain features!

Really like the Chalk outline! I have several "Down" modern military from "Peter Pig" and some other that I'm using for civilians from him as well that I will be using in my games also found some 1/87 scale military zombies on Shapeways.com I know they might be a little big but seems nobody else makes any sets in 15mm range.

Hey, thanks! A little scalecreep hasn't hurt anyone ;)

I've heard that Mad Mecha Guy has had some personal issues lately, there's a lot of people wanting his stuff, though.

My experience is that it's better to get lots of buildings together, even if they are undetailed. You can always add details later, but it's a lot more fun to have high terrain density. Get some cork, corrugated cardboard and some greeblies and start building warehouses.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #247 on: August 11, 2018, 02:55:28 AM »
Oh. I'm going to grab a lot of things, but I will have to wait till next month when the budget will allow. My Shopping list is growing long! Been checking out a lot of Manufactures that make 15MM scale buildings.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 180814: Mega post - Old crew
« Reply #248 on: August 14, 2018, 06:19:45 PM »
After Florian (DivisMal) and I talked about getting diverted with your projects, I came to think about my first finished Five Parsecs from Home crew.

The crew was rolled up and painted in the aftermath of my huge wedding (which had consumed all hobby time for months - planning, fixing and building Wes Anderson themed table decorations). I was really happy with the crew, but my paintjobs were not that great (I've learned some since).

I had a campaign planned, it would revolve around a planet with higher than usual rate of psionics occuring. An anti-psionic fascist government group would dispose of the elected government, starting a reign of terror. A Unity agent would be sent to the planet, with orders to work against the fascists, rally the population and start an uprising.

Characters:

Agent by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Unity agent codename "Omega Angel" (I was not happy with that name, it was just a placeholder) is a lot older than she looks. She's been sent by the United Worlds' Government to dispose of the fascist government and reinstate the former, elected one.

She's armed with an experimental weapon which can use either standard ammo (works like an auto-rifle) or very rare nano-bot ammo. With the latter, the weapon can change firing mode on the fly, working one second as a sniper rifle, the next as a flechette carbine and then as a rocket launcher (like the weapons from John Scalzi's Old man's war).

Rez Torah by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Omega Angel's final training mission was to infiltrate a world inhabited by ORANGE-class aliens, and retrieve one alien egg. Unlike her comrades, Omega Angel took care of the egg until it hatched and raised the infant alien herself, naming him Rez Torah.

Rez Torah is Omega Angel's right hand man. Although he's huge, imposing and (to many) terrifying, he's a thoughtful and analytic individual. Not many know this, since it's far more effective to let others think you solve every problem with excessive violence (although Rez is fond of solving hard-to-crack problems with high explosives).

Heiress of House Lander by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

House Lander grew to prominence in the early days of the third expansion, as they offered to use their cargo haulers to test the newly developed FTL-drive. They were the first traders to have FTL capabilities, they were able to establish new trade routes across the galaxy, and their motto was (and is) "Always a fair deal".

House Lander is known for being fair, for using large amounts of freelancers and for standing up for the oppressed and disenfranchised. They are also known for supplying oppressed workers and indigenous people with weapons, advisors and sometimes troops to fight the more ruthless corporations.

This support created a schism that in turn started the First Pan-galactic Corporate War. The war between corporations was destroying both trade and much of the industrial base, prompting the United Worlds' Government to step in with overwhelming force to end the war.

In the aftermath, House Lander had to sign an agreement that forbade them to actively engage in conflicts with corporations. An agreement that they keep - nominally at least. Instead of engaging themselves, House Lander use their extensive network of freelancers to keep up the fight for the oppressed and disenfranchised.

The Heiress of House Lander has, as her forebearers, gone undercover to explore the universe as an ordinary person. She has welded hulls in zero-G at the shipyards of Kirill, sold soba out of a market stall on Anea III and negotiated fair overtime compensation for herself and her fellow workers in the Zelotium mines on Terrera. She has also been running guns to uprising labourers on Tybar II, freed slaves on Epyx IV, sabotaged WarBot production on a secret asteroid base in the Endea Cluster and has fought for countless causes on countless worlds.

When the campaign starts, the Heiress is imprisoned in a NeoDyne Security internment camp after a resource gathering raid went south. NeoDyne camp executives don't know the Heiress true identity, they don't even know which of the ones they nabbed are important, but they do know they got someone special...

Alien Bodyguard by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

After her clan had been freed from slavery on Epyx IV, Kark Bispo swore eternal loyalty to the Heiress of House Lander. Ever since, she has been the Heiress' personal bodyguard, saving her life on numerous occations.

Kark got separated from the Heiress during the failed raid and managed to escape NeoDyne's grasp. She can't forgive herself for not being able to protect the Heiress, but has sworn to do everything to get her back.

Kark Bispo has latent psionic powers, which would manifest themselves during the campaign.

WarBot by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Specialized in electronic warfare, as well as ordinary warfare, WarBot H31-NZ has been hired by Omega Angel to give the crew an edge in stealthy intrusion and, if that fails, combat.

But can the WarBot be trusted? Or will it turn on the crew at the worst time?

"I said not one step closer!" by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

My first mission would have the team working together to free the Heiress. It would be played on two boards, one where Rez Torah and Kark Bispo would create a distraction by blowing up a power generator supplying the prison camp with juice, and another where H31-NZ and Omega Angel would infiltrate a communications center, to disrupt NeoDyne Security communications and radar network, enabling a House Lander freelancer to land his cargo hauler inside the prison camp, freeing the Heiress...

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #249 on: August 15, 2018, 06:07:11 AM »
Very nice background story, really like that paint work you did on those Khurasan figures, really like the robot's paint job!

I will have to check out the rules of "Five Parsecs from Home" from Nordic Weasel if I recall correctly.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:11:19 AM by War Monkey »

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #250 on: August 15, 2018, 03:24:10 PM »
Very nice background story, really like that paint work you did on those Khurasan figures, really like the robot's paint job!

I will have to check out the rules of "Five Parsecs from Home" from Nordic Weasel if I recall correctly.

Thanks, War Monkey!

I think that the WarBot is the first 15mm sci-fi mini that I painted. It was a labour of love, but took unreasonable long time to paint.

I can't really vouch for Five Parsecs from Home, since I've only played two games. The thing is, the first edition rulebook was a really, really exciting read and I love (LOVE ) the character generation system and the campaign system. I'm also fond of the setting, at least as an inspiration for my own setting. The rules for combat, I haven't got enough experience to say anything about.

To me, the first edition was great. It reminded me of the fluffy rulebooks of my youth. That’s why I was so disappointed with the second edition, it stripped out all fluff, which was the main thing for me. I don't think Ivan sells the first edition anymore, unfortunately.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #251 on: August 18, 2018, 05:28:04 AM »
Ockman, Still admiring your work, I have a really large shopping list.  lol

@Oldben1 just where did you get this robot in the picture you posted?

https://flic.kr/p/A4FwnN
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:34:37 AM by War Monkey »

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #252 on: August 18, 2018, 02:08:04 PM »
Wow. I missed a few important posts, it seems. The terrain is super awesome shiny...the chalk line - brilliant idea! Love how you mix Cyperpunk, Space Opera and Frontier world elements.

Great!

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #253 on: August 18, 2018, 02:12:31 PM »
More great posts!  This has become one of my favourite threads.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #254 on: August 18, 2018, 06:57:03 PM »
Ockman, Still admiring your work, I have a really large shopping list.  lol

@Oldben1 just where did you get this robot in the picture you posted?

https://flic.kr/p/A4FwnN

Thanks a bunch! It's nice to inspire others! Is it something special that you want to buy after reading this thread?

Wow. I missed a few important posts, it seems. The terrain is super awesome shiny...the chalk line - brilliant idea! Love how you mix Cyperpunk, Space Opera and Frontier world elements.

Great!

Thanks, Florian! The best thing with using your own (well, somewhat) setting is that you can add whatever you want.

More great posts!  This has become one of my favourite threads.

Thanks, Michael! I'm really happy that you enjoy my thread!