Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:43:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best  (Read 140060 times)

Online Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 181202: Thoughts about GZG
« Reply #315 on: December 03, 2018, 05:41:34 PM »
Also - get a razor saw and some paperclips for pinning: loads of the poses can be 'reposed' by changing where the head is facing. Little tidy up with greenstuff and you're away!

That's a great idea! I don't own a razor saw, I'll put it on my wishlist (together with a pin vise and better brushes).

If you can remember my Star Trek miniatures, there are really only 2 poses.  I think if you paint them differently they will look fine.  You can even change the bases or add little greebles the base for added effect.  Science officer, demolitions expert etc.

I'm thinking about painting the second set of poses in a cohesive colour scheme, like Dr. Death did with his GZG colonists.

But then I would have to decide upon a colour scheme, which I always find hard to do. Many have done not-Fallout paintjobs in blue, but I like yellow and grey (but that's what I'm going to paint my not-Tallarn in)...

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #316 on: December 03, 2018, 08:39:58 PM »
Try using colored pencils on paper first. 

I would love to do a red and white paint scheme.  I like the Doctor's paint scheme very much!

Online Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #317 on: December 04, 2018, 06:08:01 PM »
Try using colored pencils on paper first. 

I would love to do a red and white paint scheme.  I like the Doctor's paint scheme very much!

White suits with red details or the other way around? I've been eyeing Spacejacker's GZG colonists-turned-zombies, which got that science team look, white suits with beige/btown details.
But I'm still not sure...

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #318 on: December 04, 2018, 09:00:13 PM »
White and beige has the that great, 70s sci-fi mod vibe. Sometimes 15mm needs that contrast/pop though - what about white with some (a little) orange?

Online Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 181213: Seiko Ætherburner, pilot
« Reply #319 on: December 13, 2018, 11:50:47 AM »
Seiko Ætherburner, morning light by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Running a galaxy-spanning unified government is not easy. Even with ansibles and skip-drones, intergalactic communication is messy and often time-consuming. Each sector has a capital system, which has close and regular contact with the United Government. Other systems in the sector tries to have a close contact with the capital system, but the farther away from the capital system you get, the less control can be exerted. As a consequence, change of government through coups, rebellion, civil wars or revolution is not that uncommon on the fringes of sectors. As long as the taxes get paid (at least every now and then), a defensive capacity is kept and the local government doesn't enslave citizens or perpetuate genocide, the United Government will leave them alone.

The Vacarian Civil War broke out after the ruling Merchant Barons of Vacara once again increased the price on food, in an attempt to force the workers to an even harder travail. Widespread protests were met with violence from hired security forces, and in a matter of weeks the Merchant Barons were facing a full scale armed rebellion.

Starship pilot Seiko Ætherburner participated in the first rebel attack of the civil war. Using haulers, originally constructed for towing mineral-rich asteroids to refineries, the rebel pilots propelled asteroids at the paradise moon Cavana, home of the most prominent Merchant Barons, causing widespread destruction.
After the liberation of Vacara Shipyards, the rebels gained access to superior starfighters. Ætherburner and her wingmate Skyez Lectrix flew combat missions against the Merchant Barons' security forces and recently hired mercenaries, gaining ace status (and becoming heroes) in no time.

When the United Government finally responded, they sent a fleet large enough to pacify the entire system (the UG tend to notice when deliveries of important military materiel fail to arrive). Neither Merchant Barons nor rebels would control the system henceforth, the United Government would appoint a new system governor, who would follow UG code rigorously. The fleet sent the combatants and the instigators on both sides of the conflict an offer: leave the system forever, or stay and stand trial.

Seiko Ætherburner chose to leave Vacara together with her wingmate Skyez Lectrix. They left with a modified cargo hauler, making a living by ferrying commodities and contraband between systems.
After a retaliatory attack by mercenaries (hired by exiled Merchant Barons), the pair got stuck on Golgotha Prime with their cargo hauler in great need of repair. To fund the repairs, Ætherburner is moonlighting as a pilot-for-hire...

Ætherburner by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

So I tried to repeat the skin tone from the doctor, but it didn't turn out well. I have repainted her face twice, but now I'm calling it done. These first pictures are taken before my repaints. But I'm happy with her flight suit.

Ætherburner, original by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Ætherburner, first rework by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Ætherburner, second rework by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #320 on: December 13, 2018, 12:04:39 PM »
A wonderful addition to the project!
 :-*

And I still like those buildings, gotta build some of my own soon (in 28mm, though!) and shall be back to steal all of your ideas.
 :D

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #321 on: December 13, 2018, 03:17:46 PM »
She's a keeper!  I like the color choices!  I especially like the skin tones.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #322 on: December 13, 2018, 04:28:38 PM »
Lovely job - flight suit is particularly nice

Online Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #323 on: December 13, 2018, 06:37:01 PM »
Thanks, friends!

It's always pleasant to post here, since one always gets nice feedback!

A wonderful addition to the project!
 :-*

And I still like those buildings, gotta build some of my own soon (in 28mm, though!) and shall be back to steal all of your ideas.
 :D

Yes, just steal away! I love it when I can inspire others. It's one of the best things with the hobby.

Steal and get stolen from (or get inspired and inspire others).

She's a keeper!  I like the color choices!  I especially like the skin tones.

I've done two or three attempts to get the skin tone right, and it didn't help that my brushes' points had degraded and I didn't thin my paint enough.

So it makes me extra happy that you liked it!

Lovely job - flight suit is particularly nice

Thanks, I'm quite pleased with the flight suit myself. I was inspired by the original...

Luke_Skywalker_pilot by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #324 on: December 13, 2018, 08:54:18 PM »
orange and white is always sci fi to me!

Online Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 181214: Skyez Lectrix, former rebel pilot
« Reply #325 on: December 14, 2018, 08:00:01 PM »
Skyez Lectrix by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

There's an old saying that goes "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger". Of course that's not true. What doesn't kill you might cripple you, or more likely leave a psychological trauma. Luckily, there's been effective treatments for psychological trauma since the twenty-first century, but it requires work and acceptance that you will have to live with a certain degree of pain. Not everybody is prepared to do that, though, even if the alternatives are suboptimal.

Memory suppression through brainwave modulation has been used to forget traumatic events. Unfortunately, the method is unprecise, often leaving the patient with too much memory (or even skill) loss. There's also the risk of memory resurgence, which is extremely unpleasant, making the trauma even worse.
Emotional cut-out implants might take away negative emotions, but they also affect personality and motivation negatively, leaving the user detached and indifferent. The implant has been outlawed in most systems, since misusage among criminals has led to surges in crime (both in frequence and severity).

Former rebel pilot Skyez Lectrix' entire family was eradicated in retaliatory killings after the asteroid bombing of Cavana. As long as the war went on, she could handle it, but it's become worse after she's been grounded on Golgotha Prime. To keep the trauma at bay, Lectrix has resorted to humanity's oldest remedy: alcohol.
To fund her habit, she takes on occasional work as a mechanic. Lately, she has found another source of income: information brokering. If one listens, there's a lot to be learned in cantinas and taverns. And Lectrix certainly is listening...

Skyez Lectrix, in a back alley by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

I tried a new way of painting hair. Usually I just drybrush the hair, but I'm not always happy with how it turns out (especially if I've been a bit ...heavy with the primer).
So instead, I just painted the hair, really exaggerated, with no consideration about how the hair actually is sculpted.
I think it turned out fine (except that the tips of my brushes were not in tip top shape)!

Skyez Lectrix, hair from behind by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Skyez Lectrix, hair by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #326 on: December 15, 2018, 03:18:12 AM »
She looks like bad news to me!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #327 on: December 15, 2018, 11:55:27 AM »
Nice work, mate.
Lovely highlighting on the hair.
 8) 8)

Online Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #328 on: December 15, 2018, 07:54:06 PM »
She looks like bad news to me!

Are you in any way affiliated with the Merchant Barons? Unless you or the organization employing you are connected to the Merchant Barons, she's no harm.

But if you're blabbing your mouth about some great treasure you've found (or plans about an eventual heist), of course. Then she might be bad news...

Nice work, mate.
Lovely highlighting on the hair.
 8) 8)

Thanks, Mason!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #329 on: December 16, 2018, 09:56:49 PM »
Am quite enjoying your thread.  Only recently discovered it.