Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:47:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best  (Read 140746 times)

Online Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 190322: Arkham Horror-inspired encounters
« Reply #360 on: March 24, 2019, 02:07:56 AM »
That sounds interesting.
The Nordic Weasel games have so many tables there is always a lovely t of background for the characters.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #361 on: March 24, 2019, 09:35:05 PM »
That sounds interesting.
The Nordic Weasel games have so many tables there is always a lovely t of background for the characters.

I like the idea of assigning activities to characters between games, like they do in Five Parsecs from Home.

I also like the encounter step from Arkham Horror (Third Edition), where one can kind of anticipate what might happen in the encounter step at each location (at Saint Mary's Hospital you will likely be able to gain health by spending money, while at the Arkham Advertiser (a newspaper) you can exchange stories/evidence(remnants) for cash).

Since whatever I'll be playing won't have a Mythos phase, I want the encounters to have a chance of not always being advantageous to the player.

I like to use the encounter system as story hooks in an RPG fashion.

Golgotha General Encounter 2

"I've seen you here before, haven't I? The life you and your crewmates live can be quite dangerous, I presume?" asks Colonial Doctor Jorah Goodfellow.

"Take this", he says and hands you a small kit. "It's an experimental treatment I'm working on. If anyone in your crew gets mortally injured, inject them with the syringe in this kit and rush them here. Just remember that it's only to be used on mortally wounded individuals..."

Gain Goodfellow's Serum. If a crewmember dies due to a gruesome injury or a failed injury roll, you may use the serum.

Roll 1D6.
6 = It's a miracle! Full recovery.
4-5 = It seems to be working! Full recovery. Note on character sheet that the character has used Goodfellow's Serum.
2-3 = It's still not finished... The character remains dead.
1 = Sometimes dead is better... Something went horribly wrong. GM decides what.

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
« Reply #362 on: March 26, 2019, 09:00:11 PM »
one of the good things about being away from a forum is that there is so much wonderful stuff to read when you get back! As always your world continues to grow and the development is great, along with the miniature set pieces.

Starport Scum does look rather great, never played it but it’s in my extensive unplaced rules collection!

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #363 on: March 26, 2019, 09:47:00 PM »
Wow.  This thread has an absolute wealth of great ideas!

Dan
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 06:52:43 AM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #364 on: March 27, 2019, 06:48:41 PM »
one of the good things about being away from a forum is that there is so much wonderful stuff to read when you get back! As always your world continues to grow and the development is great, along with the miniature set pieces.

Starport Scum does look rather great, never played it but it’s in my extensive unplaced rules collection!

Hey, thanks! It's nice to see you back with your projects as well, 3mm looks really cool!

I think Starport Scum gives a lot more freedom than Five Parsecs from Home, something that has become more important to me lately.

Wow.  This thread has an absolute wealth of great ideas!

Dan

Thanks, Dan! The best thing about our hobby is getting inspired by others and inspiring others!

Here's another encounter:

Criminal Cantina Encounter 1

The place is jam-packed tonight, there's a band playing jaunty tunes and in the bar, an inebriated duo of inept criminals are trying to impress or intimidate whoever they come across.

A teenage farmboy, standing at the bar, catches the duo's interest. They try to pick a fight with him. The farmboy's companion, an older fellow dressed in robes of an old religious order, steps in and tries to de-escalate the situation, but it ends with one of the criminals drawing a weapon.

In a flash, the gun-drawing criminal's arm is lying sliced-off at the floor. The cantina turns silent as everyone looks at the companion, now wielding a cermonious energy blade. The silence stretches for a few seconds, until the companion deactivates the blade, and everyone goes back to whatever they were doing.

It's just another night at the cantina. Nothing happens.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 190402:A shot from the hobby closet!
« Reply #365 on: April 02, 2019, 02:46:02 PM »
A shot from the hobby closet by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Haven't had much hobby time lately, but got inspired when I looked in the hobby closet. Perhaps I will paint sometime soon, or perhaps I'll try to play a game of Starport Scum. I've got enough models now for a small skirmish, I think...

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #366 on: April 02, 2019, 03:23:49 PM »
Sweet!

I like your latest posts - the table ideas are cool, I find tables like that really useful because it’s not a strength of mine just making them up!

What d’you think you might paint next?

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #367 on: April 02, 2019, 03:51:05 PM »
That's a great group shot of the "cast" of your scenarios. 

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #368 on: April 02, 2019, 08:58:32 PM »
That's a great group shot of the "cast" of your scenarios.

Thanks, someday I'll have to take a "collection shot" of every painted mini and terrain!

Sweet!

I like your latest posts - the table ideas are cool, I find tables like that really useful because it’s not a strength of mine just making them up!

What d’you think you might paint next?

Hey, thanks Rory! Oh, I actually got some painting time tonight. I've washed and prepared a Skylark Patrol Flyer from the Ion Age, I've undercoated a civilian hovertruck (and its cargo), a five-man crew of future (armed) delivery people/postal workers and started block painting my last two members of Steiner & Krüger Sicherheit. I'm thinking whether I'm going to prep and clean two other Ion Age vehicles (Green Adder combat car and Red Adder hover Craft) or try to get a bit more done on the S&KS (or block paint the delivery crew).

I'm so glad that you enjoy my encounters! I wrote one just for you:

Criminal Cantina Encounter 2

It's a rowdy night in the cantina, the patrons are unruly, the mood is tense and fights are flaring up left and right. You ask the bartender what's going on.

"Haven't you heard? Apparently a couple of the larger gangs were planning a heist. Something was supposed to go down at the starport tonight, but somehow the authorities caught wind. Last night they caught the gang leaders at the final planning meeting, leaving these sorry bastards leaderless and low on credits..."

If you want to recruit some fresh blood, now there is an excellent opportunity. You may fight the meanest bastard around, showing everyone who's boss (unarmed fight vs. Brawling 3/Defense 1).
If you win, everybody wants to join your crew - make 4 recruitment rolls, keeping as many (or few) as you want.
If you lose, you must recuperate; the character misses the next game.

If you don't want to fight, you can spread some wealth around to show how successful your crew is. You may make as many recruitment rolls as you want, keeping as many (or few) as you want. The first roll costs one fistful of credits, while each successive roll costs one more than the last (e.g. the second roll costs two fistfuls of credits, the third roll three fistfuls of credits, and so on).

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #369 on: April 03, 2019, 11:37:55 AM »
Love it! I'll scribble it down for an encounter soon!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #370 on: April 03, 2019, 11:50:55 AM »
IMG_20190403_090646 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

So I've started painting the delivery crew, but can't decide on which colours to use: orange/black or pistachio/black. What do you think?

IMG_20190403_090819 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

(imagine the right mini having black details instead of green)

Online Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
I like the orange and black better.  What about blue and orange?

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
I prefer the pistachio and black.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
Orange and Black gets my vote
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
I think that the orange and black would work better than pistachio and black, though I actually like the pistachio and green more.
How will black work close to brown skin?
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.