Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:41:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best  (Read 140701 times)

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 200430: Ruins WIP
« Reply #765 on: May 02, 2020, 07:02:28 PM »
It is 4mm cork, sold in 150x150mm squares.

I hav loads of the material myself.  Good to see how it can look all put together and painted up.  Thanks.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 200430: Ruins WIP
« Reply #766 on: May 03, 2020, 02:43:08 PM »
When the kids wake you up 05.30, one can sometimes park them in front of the TV and combine being their personal servant (parent) and some hobby work, like putting down a sloppy basecoat!

Ruins in the morning by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Ruins WIP by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 200503: More ruins WIP
« Reply #767 on: May 04, 2020, 11:16:07 AM »
Looking good, Ock! Hope to see the final result soon.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #768 on: May 05, 2020, 12:02:14 AM »
I prefer the storability of 15mm.  I知 not a great miniature painter though, so sometimes I get sad by the lumpy bits of detail I can get out of 15mm faces.  I am looking forward to your ruins Ockman.  Would anyone like to buy the last of my 28mm cowboy miniatures and terrain? lol

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
« Reply #769 on: May 05, 2020, 08:05:46 AM »
I prefer the storability of 15mm.  I知 not a great miniature painter though, so sometimes I get sad by the lumpy bits of detail I can get out of 15mm faces.  I am looking forward to your ruins Ockman.  Would anyone like to buy the last of my 28mm cowboy miniatures and terrain? lol

The secon best thing about 15mm is that you can buy whole miniature lines by selling some of your 28mm stuff. :D

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #770 on: May 05, 2020, 12:38:05 PM »
Ock,

Do you ever get warping in your cork? Some 28mm cork buildings I made ended up with bent/warped walls. I did end up gluing pieces to the outside of one side, and texture pasting some/most of the inside, so I am not sure what caused the warping. I could, gently, bend it back into shape a little, but not all the way. I believe the cork used for that project was 5mm? Never had it happen at 15mm scale, thought all my 15mm builds were 4-walls and not 2-3 wall ruins, so I wondered if some of the stability was missing. Easy enough to redesign for future builds, I suppose. Just curious if you have had this happen.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #771 on: May 05, 2020, 05:44:21 PM »
Andrew

I had something similar happen to me a while back and it turned out to be from relatively minute warpage in the MDF base itself, which looked worse the higher you went up (further away from the source from the problem).

It痴 one of the reasons I知 switching to EPVC For terrain bases.

Dan
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 05:47:11 PM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #772 on: May 06, 2020, 07:08:33 AM »
Looking good, Ock! Hope to see the final result soon.

Thanks, Skully!

I've drybrushed them to a nice finish, but still have to add some greenery/greeblies and take some pictures.

Hey, I've seen your work - those faces are looking good!

I'm also a huge fan of the storability - 15mm takes up 1/8 of the space compared to 28mm. Which is the reason I now have a large city board, a wilderness/wasteland board, a spaceport board, forest terrain, jungle terrain, city terrain and buildings, colony buildings and now a set of ruins.

Still want a desert board, a winter board and some coastal terrain, though. And more city stuff. And interior stuff, like caves, starships and bases.

The secon best thing about 15mm is that you can buy whole miniature lines by selling some of your 28mm stuff. :D

It's amazing, especially when you are playing semi-RPGs.

"Oh, I need a new faction to step in. That will be... 」9. Perhaps 」15 with vehicles."

Ock,

Do you ever get warping in your cork? Some 28mm cork buildings I made ended up with bent/warped walls. I did end up gluing pieces to the outside of one side, and texture pasting some/most of the inside, so I am not sure what caused the warping. I could, gently, bend it back into shape a little, but not all the way. I believe the cork used for that project was 5mm? Never had it happen at 15mm scale, thought all my 15mm builds were 4-walls and not 2-3 wall ruins, so I wondered if some of the stability was missing. Easy enough to redesign for future builds, I suppose. Just curious if you have had this happen.

I haven't had much problems with bendy cork in 15mm, but my pieces are pretty small on the other hand (height 80mm (at the most), width 150mm (at the most)) and I try to steer away from putting texture paste on one side only (that sounds like your culprit).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 07:16:59 AM by Ockman »

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 200507: Overgrown ruins finished!
« Reply #773 on: May 07, 2020, 08:55:45 AM »
I worked at home earlier this week and used my coffee and lunch break to drybrush the ruins I've built last week.

Bleak ruins by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Bleak ruins by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

I found them a bit bleak and monochrome, so I decided to add some green growth on them.

My first impression, halfway through the first ruin was "This is a huge mistake, why did I have to destroy my beautiful ruins!"

Fortunately I decided to continue, and when the glue dried, I was very happy with the outcome!

Overgrown ruins by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #774 on: May 07, 2020, 02:11:53 PM »
Wow! Those look absolutely Great!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #775 on: May 07, 2020, 06:42:03 PM »
I think some color, any color, really helps with the look of basic ruins. Growth, graffiti tags, blood splatter, posters, rust streaks... all of the above. These look long abandoned. Almost serene if I didn't suspect something vicious lurking among the rubble. Really nice additions to the world!

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
« Reply #776 on: May 07, 2020, 06:55:26 PM »
Nicely done. The ruins look great, I知 looking forward to seeing them integrated into one of your landscapes, complete with story!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #777 on: May 07, 2020, 08:21:42 PM »
Wow! Those look absolutely Great!

Thanks, Doug!

I think some color, any color, really helps with the look of basic ruins. Growth, graffiti tags, blood splatter, posters, rust streaks... all of the above. These look long abandoned. Almost serene if I didn't suspect something vicious lurking among the rubble. Really nice additions to the world!

Thanks, Andrew!

It really needs something to break up the bleak colours, I like your suggestions! Might go back and add some old sci-fi greeblies, like a hatch on the ground or a control panel.

Looks serene, doesn't it? Who knows what the ruins hide...

Nicely done. The ruins look great, I知 looking forward to seeing them integrated into one of your landscapes, complete with story!

Thanks, Grumbledook!

It makes me really happy that you want to have a story to the terrain! I promise that I'll write something (but I don't know when)...

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #778 on: May 08, 2020, 06:35:35 AM »
I have to come back and look at this over and over again and feel compelled to build a set myself  :-*

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #779 on: May 08, 2020, 10:18:07 AM »
I have to come back and look at this over and over again and feel compelled to build a set myself  :-*

Do it! It's quick work!

Each floor is 40mm, each window is 20x10mm. I try to put the first window about 15mm from the edge, have 25-30mm between each window and add a 10mm support beam between each window. I always make whole walls which I cut/break in two!

Gouge some holes in the cork with tweezers, floor is either broken up cork or foamcard squares. Rubble is coarse sand + ground up cork.

These are undercoated black, basecoated in a dark grey and burnt umber. I drybrush the concrete with a medium grey, then I drybrush everything with burnt sienna (although the ground a bit more than the concrete) and then everything is drybrushed with grey umber (khaki/bleached bone). Finally I add light green clump foliage.

Plans! by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

We talked about storability before. My terrain collection with city, wilderness, jungle, colony and spaceport terrain can be seen in this picture. It's one shelf in our closet (the large box is half full, the one in the upper left corner isn't used for terrain storage). These ruins are 80mm high and can be stored on an A4 paper sized space, if I don't stack them, and will probably go in the big box later on...

Terrain shelf by Oscar Falk, on Flickr