Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:16:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689729
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What's Next for Congo?  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Infman

• Bookworm
What's Next for Congo?
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
Are there any expansions for Congo on the horizon?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion regarding Congo on the Studio Tomahawk website. I thought there was a campaign book being planned.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Re: What's Next for Congo?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 11:22:11 AM »
A campaign book has been planned, confirmed to me by a foundry employee.

New reinforcement packs have been advertised, although they should have been out by now according to the date tomahawk set.

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 11:40:18 AM »
The reinforcement boxes are available to buy on the Foundry website as of yesterday, I believe.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 12:06:43 PM »
The reinforcement boxes are available to buy on the Foundry website as of yesterday, I believe.

Correct, and this is what Foundry say about it: "These new Reinforcement boxes contain all the other characters and groups from the rulebook that are not included in the original starter box sets for each column."

To me it looks actually like they composed sets of previously/currently available miniatures from other ranges and added them to the Starter boxes to cover complete columns from the Congo rule book. Nothing new or unfamiliar to spot there. I believe that if campaigns will be released, these figures do not yet belong to them particularly - OR campaigns will simply rely on existing column compositions and will probably only introduce some new NPCs/animals instead of another faction or additional characters/auxiliaries for the existing four factions.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 06:52:45 PM »
Campaign book and/or scenario pack would be the obvious choices.  I think it will all depend on how well the game has done commercially.  Clearly it's been a shot in the arm for Foundry's  old Darkest Africa range, but I wonder if sales of the rulebook itself will support a lot of new supplements?  I don't have a strong sense of how well the game has done in terms of profitability and sustained growth.

If you're looking for an interesting sidetrack, there was a very good article in wargames illustrated about playing Congo in South America either with Conquistadores vs Aztecs or Pulp style in the 1920s a la Lost City of Z.  Highly recommended.

Ax

Offline Infman

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 07:44:17 AM »
Yes, it was good to see Foundry release some new packs even though there are no new sculpts.

I'll pick up the WI Amazon edition and the Tarzan one as well. Fingers crossed for some more support from Studio Tomahawk!

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 09:55:11 AM »
It seems that the second book will contain additional rules for animal encounters (e.g. hippos) as well as a narrative campaign, presumably in the form of linked scenarios.  I was hoping for something map based and more open ended myself (expedition has to get from A to Z with a system for randomised encounters and supply considerations), but I am probably in the minority and will have to try to do it myself  :'(

Offline Calumma

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 08:29:39 AM »
Looking forward to any new supplement for this game. Congo really lends itself to campaign play, so will be very interested to see what they come up with. It would be good to have different potential encounters for the wild animal when a token is drawn and new columns of course.

The release of new figure packs suggests things are selling at least ok - although I'd prefer it if they sold figures in individual packs rather than all together.

Offline Infman

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 09:53:47 AM »
I know what you mean. I've got a large collection of Foundry DA but don't have a witchdoctor. I don't really want to but a whole pack when I'll only use one. It would be good to be able to buy character figures as individuals.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 11:16:59 AM »
I have the same problem, ive bought the reinforcement pack but dont want to shel out £12 a pop when I only need a couple of minis from each pack.

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 02:56:54 AM »
I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I have been trying to find the Studio Tomahawk Website to order extra card decks for multi-player games. Can anyone help?

Offline gorillacrab

• Librarian
  • Horse and Musket buff
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 03:27:27 AM »
I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I have been trying to find the Studio Tomahawk Website to order extra card decks for multi-player games. Can anyone help?

For multiplayer games, I made my own homemade version of the 7 Order Cards (primitive though the are) and then took both Random Card packs and shuffled them together into one large pack that can be dealt to 3 or 4 players at the start of each new turn. There are more than enough random bonus cards for this.
Prof Challenger, I presume?