Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2018, 08:11:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Project log - modern era 20mm European theatre skirmish game  (Read 696 times)

Offline Mr Kissyfur

• assistant
Project log - modern era 20mm European theatre skirmish game
« on: April 19, 2017, 09:41:15 AM »
Hi there

So, after a bit of model stasis (I started painting up the Imperial Assault figures a few months ago, and stalled – got heartily sick of painting Stormtroopers) I decided to embark on a project this year. The kids have very much got into tanks recently (thank you World of Tanks and Bovington Tank Museum) so I decided to put together a small 20mm game for them. The premise is modern-ish, Russian vs US. Rivet counters need not apply – I am very much mixing eras of equipment in the interests of getting on with it. 

So, to start with, here are some Russian soldiers, painted and in need of basing. These are the first 20mm figures I’ve painted, and they’re fiddly little blighters. So they look a little rougher in the close up than they do to my eyes in real life, but hey ho, the camera never lies 

US soldiers on the go:

I have to say, Elhiem figures are superb.

Some armour put together and awaiting painting:

Iv’e got a few more vehicles to do, plus an A-10 and Mig-23 and an AH-64:

Started some flight bases – tried to get a bit of weight on the bottom with a big flat washer:

Buildings are primarily Faller type HO stuff, to get that West German look. I’ve got two more buildings to do, and the ones below need painting (obviously) and a couple still need their guttering.   You’ll also see my first attempt at scratch building a building – it was a garage type thing, but think it’s now more of a barn given the size! I was building it using the 20mm soldiers as a guide, but obviously that makes it look oversized compared to the HO buildings… doh. The cladding is made from coffee stirrers, which were cut in half lengthways to make them a bit more scale appropriate as planks. By gum that was time consuming. Roof is Wills sheet stuff.

The intention will be to have 4 2ftx2ft tiles, largely landscaped with fixed contours (no separate removable hills for me) and the buildings will be separately based – haven’t decided if they’ll fit into recesses in the base board (a la Captain Blood’s Quite a Big Terrain Project) or sit on top of flat areas.

Further updates as things progress…

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• scatterbrained genius
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Project log - modern era 20mm European theatre skirmish game
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 07:11:20 PM »
Nice figures, at first I thought they were 28mm ^__^.

Offline shrubs

• student
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 10:29:34 PM »
Very nice paint on the Russians! I have some Elheim 80's Soviets, lovely models. Test painted one, absolute pleasure to paint. A nice compromise between fiddly 15mm and the sheer amount of detail in 28mm, wish I would have started in 20mm sooner. Looking forward to more!

Offline jambo1

• mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:15:37 AM »
Looking very good so far, very impressive! :)

Offline Mr Kissyfur

• assistant
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 05:42:48 AM »
Goodness me, this has been dormant a while. In fairness, relocating to Singapore meant I didn’t get much further with it!

Despite the move, I managed to get a wriggle on with some stuff before shipping out in December, and have been painting away since...

I have some terrain boards that have been landscaped and glooped (6 square boards about 18 inches to a side, IIRC), and just need painting and tittivating. I’ll bang up some photos of those soon.

The miniatures all need properly basing still, and I’ll stick in a self-defence disclaimer that the sunlight was a bit bright so it doesn’t really show them off to their best advantage… I’ll try to work out a better way of photographing them… (and the US ones in particular could do with being a little closer...)

The US forces:

The Russkis:

Some (completely inappropriately painted) airsupport:

The panel “lining” doesn’t look quite so stark in real life, honest. There is an A-10, Flogger, Apache and Hind waiting to be done…

Some buildings I’ve put together – these are mostly Faller I think. They all need the grounds doing, obviously! I was planning on doing these at the same time as the terrain boards.

An overview of the main house:

Some other angles of the grounds:

Some other buildings:
The pathway needs drybrushing to finish off on this one, as well as the grounds being painted/vegetated:

Smaller house:

There’s another one that’s mostly built and primed I need to get on with as well, but no photos of that at the moment.  I’ve also got a couple more unbuilt but these four will take up enough space on the board for now.

Some vehicles:

Some random scatter terrain that needs basing:

That’s it so far – some AFVs to follow at some point…

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• scatterbrained genius
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 08:13:23 AM »
Nice job.

Offline number1section1

• assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 08:43:49 AM »
Very good start, you have enough to game with already! Keep it up!

Offline mikedemana

• mastermind
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 04:44:16 AM »
Great stuff! And I love Singapore - my favorite city in Asia to visit (and my first choice if I had to relocate, as well...).

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline racm32

• scientist
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 02:02:45 PM »
I'm also working on a modern eastern European project and did not know about that line of HO buildings until I saw your post. Most of mine have been home made. You have done a beautiful job with them so far. Are the roofs removable or would it be difficult to make them so? I like being able to use the interiors of my buildings.