Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:54:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689806
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sigur goes South - The American Civil War  (Read 28359 times)

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
Re: Sigur goes South - The American Civil War
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2017, 05:54:38 PM »
Inspiring. Wonderful minis, great box and rules review.
Thanks for the effort you put into that.

I'll keep watching.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2017, 01:09:22 AM »
@Larry R: Yah, tell me about it. :D Last time I experimented was on the last mini in the world one should experiment on (resin master for an unreleased mini for a collector :D ). It worked out really well though. Phew.

@Treebeard: Thanks very much! Glad you like the stuff I do.

Here's the cavalry with the two more bases added. Or rather three bases as I cheekily decided to cut the second base in half. Just in case I want to do something with casualty removal.

Hope you like them!

Next on the list: get 4 dismounted cavalry dudes done and then I want to bump up another infantry regiment to 10 bases.

...and with this we're up to date on how far I am on my ACW things in 28mm. :)

Offline Oldgamer

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2017, 08:23:56 AM »
Your output is amazing, how do you paint so many figures to such a high standard in such a short time?
Have you cloned yourself?

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2017, 04:28:58 PM »
@Oldgamer: Thanks very much. Well, I do make full use of my third nipple, but apart from that I'm just a lowly paintmonkey. ;) Nah, as I said, this is the abridged version of the project which so far has run for over three years. The latest pictures of units just show the same regiments I posted before, just with some bases addded. So it's all smoke and mirrors really. I got loads of really cool feedback when I posted the 3rd Louisiana (in its 10 Bases form) online, which I hadn't gotten in a while as lately I've been painting 15mm 17th century stuff which I'll all base in one big go in the end so it's not quite pretty yet, 25mm Minifigs from the early 1980s (in a very 1980s style) which is an acquired old-school taste not everybody's into and unreleased/resin masters/3up models for a collector, most of which I'm not allowed to show online. :D  So that feedback got me all motivated to get the other ACW dudes painted fast. So yeah, I really appreciate feedback. Apart from that I really got to appreciate those old Perrys ACW plastics again. The infantry is just fun to paint and put together. The newer kits (whilst having their advantages) really are more of a bother to work with. But yeah, that's multi-part plastics for ya.

So here are the plans for the most immediate future: Get another game of Longstreet on the way, do a Sharp Practice 2 day at the local club, possibly with multiple tables, get a third infantry regiment up to 10 bases (probably the Tiger Zouaves. Doesn't make much sense, but it's the least work.), get the civilians and some deployment points done. Above all: don't get distracted. :D

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2017, 11:36:26 PM »
Bit of an update - did a bit more work on the cilivians:

These four are finished now. Still left to do: a fancy lady and the priest.

Also - I got the Zouaves models now to bump up the Tiger Rifles to 10 bases.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2017, 11:07:52 AM »
Haven't read the words in this thread - because I'm too distracted by the pretty pictures. Keep up the good work.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2017, 12:44:48 PM »
@von Lucky: :D Fair enough. But the words are BRILLIANCE. I have the best words. Look at this: protuberance! Woo!

Update!

Got to workin' on the 11 Zouaves I need to bump up my Louisiana Tigers to 10 bases. :)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2017, 12:48:05 PM »
protuberance!

Not sure what that means, I guess with the Zouaves it means acting like a real professional potato, right?  :D

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2017, 11:41:09 PM »
@von Lucky: Hey, I know know words, not what they mean! :D

The Zouaves are finished!

Most of these minis (Perry plastics, some converted to wear hats, metal officer by the Perrys) I painted back in 2014. I just added three more bases to bring them up to 10 bases required for playing the Longstreet campaign game.

And here's a little extra thing - WIP shot of the last two civilians (Redoubt Enterprises):

The chap in the right is finished really - just requires basing. I can also use him as a Holy Man in Sharp Practice 2. The lady in the left is more WIP. I'm really glad I could save the face though. Either she'd fallen on her face or there was a casting mistake. Either way, her nose was a big old mess. So much so that I had to take a knife to her face. I'm really pleased with the mischievous look she ended up with though. I guess I'll paint the umbrella light blue. What do you think?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:07:11 AM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2017, 05:51:20 AM »
Awsome Zouaves!  :-* Excellent work!

...So much so that I had to take a knife to her face...
It is true that a good modeller has to have the qualities of a plastic surgeon  :)
at least the subject doesn't need anaesthesia  lol

How do you think about an umbrella in red wine color
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2017, 09:02:52 AM »
Looking good. I think the blue will work. Reminds me of Cora from Last of the Mohicans.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2017, 12:51:51 AM »
@DintheDin: Thanks muchly, Sir. :) I'm not sure about the wine red. Would that work with the pastel-like colours on the rest of her dress? Probably. Not sure which colour I'll go with in the end, but I'm leaning towards light blue. Seems to be the safe bet.

@von Lucky: Cheers! :)

Right, of course I didn't proceed with anything: :D But! We played Longstreet last Friday. It was an introductionary play for Frank Shandy, who is an ACW afficinado. Not so much a 28mm gamer or gamer of battles, but we were rather sure that this set of rules would win him over. Virago and I also hadn't played in 2 years, so we had to re-learn the rules anyway.

This is what the table looked like. We didn't faff about much and just set up 4 infantry regiments on each sides and each of us got a battery of 2 cannons (Napoleons). The additional stuff I (playing the Confederates) put on the table - horse-drawn limber, commander base, etc. - was all just for show. In Longstreet you don't need commander models to be present, but of course it looks nice.

http://sigur.tabletopgeeks.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/18/gallery/games/overview2.jpg

The Federal army set up in line, one regiment in column, ready to march into the town. I had 2 regiments with the same plan. My other two regiments were sitting on the right flank and in between I had my artillery battery on a hill. The year the battle would take place was chosen to be 1863.

I started by rushing my two columns into the town.

http://sigur.tabletopgeeks.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/18/gallery/games/earlycolumns.jpg

Of course this was of great symbolic value, but the actual result was that I had wedged two columns in a tight spot, in front of me the same number of Northeners, the buildings giving cover but reducing my regimental volley fire to much less effective skirmish fire, so no real use in sitting in the houses. Crap. So my regiments were put in reverse and clumsily retired back behind the church and made their way to the centre of the battlefield.

The civilian population is overwhelmed by the showcase of perfect drill.

The Union army - other than my chaps - elected a different tactic than hare-brained advances and since my cannons couldn't see a thing (and because I had painted the bloody limber thing!) they limbered up to move to the right flank where enemy artillery bombarded my dudes.

http://sigur.tabletopgeeks.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/18/gallery/games/limbering-up.jpg

After having set up on the right flank my cannons fired maybe two times during the course of the rest of the game, because bad things kept happening (bad fuses, bad powder, bad weather, what ever else).

http://sigur.tabletopgeeks.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/18/gallery/games/rightflank_1.jpg

Above: The right flank. In the background: Firing Union artillery. Even this flank was a bit of a shambles because I lacked the conviction (and the support) to attack due to "Operation Senseless Town Liberation" at the left flank.

... and I was still busy maneuvering my two regiments through the middle of the table. The central Union regiment advanced and a firefight emerged.

http://sigur.tabletopgeeks.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/18/gallery/games/unionfiringline.jpg

In the back you can see column of northern Agressioneers who in rank and file butcher and loot their way through the poor town.

This resulted in this nasty situation:

http://sigur.tabletopgeeks.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/18/gallery/games/end-ouch.jpg

Here's an overview of the end:

http://sigur.tabletopgeeks.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/18/gallery/games/endoverview_1.jpg

My cannons had been destroyed, same with one regiment, the two regiments in the centre were being reduced badly and especially the one in the left was looking at grim prospects.

...and that's it! Frank Shandy seems to like the set of rules; same with me. It's got everything you look for in an ACW game. Of course it's abstracted. Sam Mustafa (the author) tends to do that quite a lot, but he still finds ways to work out a very quick, fun and efficient game and still have all these aspects in there. For example there is no morale as such. In theory it's horrible. In practice: 1.) enemy fire also includes morale deterioration, not just physically incapacitated soldiers. The number of bases lost through such casualties though fire or combat may be reduced by dropping hand cards (each player has a hand of 6 cards which may be played for this purpose, for a special effect or to initiate movement/fire/charges). But of course if you want to do that your options for your own turn are reduced drastically. Your officers are busy keeping the units together and in commandable shape. The harsher things get the harder it will be to get your units to do what you want. Once units get in small arms range the cards tend to just melt away and it gets rather hard doing fancy extra stuff.

It reminds me of similar things happening in other games I like a lot (Chain of Command, Sharp Practice). So yeah, it's all there: morale, friction, command&control. The big three things that make rules sets good and interesting.

Clever rules, that Longstreet, and the cards throw in heaps of 'period flavor'.

Hope you enjoyed my little battle report!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2017, 10:37:39 AM »
You fit right in with the rest of the generals of the time. Lovely looking table.

Offline diflin

• Lurker
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2017, 12:46:27 PM »
Such excellent work just one small detail I see some Union units are carrying their national flag on wrong  side: the national flag is always to the right, similar to when Austrian regiments carried the Leibfahne on the right. Also the eagle was normally on top of the national flags staff only, I found a manufacturer who makes separate eagles to put on. I never use the plastic ones or the soft metal ones that are supplied with the metal Perry colour packs. This period is one of my favourites, I have also re-enacted it, hence my pickiness. Years ago I wargamed it in 20mm using Airfix, but have returned to do in 28mm basing my troops on the 2nd Corps, using Perry Miniatures, they are the best and have a great period 'feel', for the American Civil War.   

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2017, 11:24:00 PM »
I still dont like cowboys but your stuff looks so good on the table. Excellent report.