Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:19:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686653
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Modiphius Fallout Game  (Read 22764 times)

Offline Popi

• Schoolboy
Re: Modiphius Fallout Game
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2018, 11:51:25 AM »
Has anyone tried the game? Do you like it?

Are the resin miniatures worth it, or is the quality quite similar to the PVC models?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 06:26:48 AM by Popi »

Offline Anpu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Life in the vault is about to change...
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2018, 02:42:52 PM »
The Resin minis are definately worth it. The rules look great but have not had the opportunity to try them yet,

Offline Arcturus

• Scientist
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2018, 12:33:14 PM »
I tried a few games in Battle Mode and the rules have a good flow. I thougth they were complex at first but it comes all together nicely. I think the game works best with about 10 models per side. Otherwise there would be too much markers and things to remember.

The Resin minis are suberb. The variety of Fallout-y details on the scenic bases is gorgeous (Bottle caps, Nuka cola bottles, mini-nukes, Stim Packs awesome!).

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2018, 11:25:39 PM »
I came across this game today in my local model shop and thought I'd check it out. Been a while (heh, half of you guys probably don't even remember my name here ;) ).

First thought, they missed a trick with the Bottle Caps. Having made my own years ago I can see that they've bought new caps and then painted them as is. Rather than sticking them on a pin and contorting the cap so that it looks like its had gasses pressing against it. A little thing, but for the cost I'd be expecting that sort of extra effort (otherwise I'd just buy them off of Ebay from a third party).

And leading on from that, I get what's been said here by some users before. The cost of Bethesda licences must be high. The cost of these sets for what they are is pretty high (the Corvega is just silly pricing), and I imagine the majority of that's gone towards the licensing.

For what the figures, and what I've bought, they seem all right. Clearly just pulls of the in game models then printing out. But I have to wonder if people with their own printers couldn't be doing this sort of stuff at home (and I haven't followed this particular sub board in ages to follow that scene...). However, I find the poses on some of the human figures in the starter set uninspired, and detail lacking in some places at a level you wouldn't see with traditional sculpting (the hair and faces).

So far I'm reposing some of the figures, probably cannibalising bits from the others, but luckily I have enough models of my own to not be too concerned about losing one or two over quality issues. Though going through my collection and bringing them up to an acceptable standard may be a task.

I've yet to even look at the rules. I'm wondering how they'll shape up against This is Not a Test, but they may be completely different systems.

Edit: oh and screw PVC as a material. I remember reading complaints about the choice ages ago. The set I picked up came with PVC rather than resin figures, and yeah, I'll be replacing the weapons with plasticard ones, and cutting the limbs then re-gluing them to give them some rigidity. Presumably the choice was to bring down the cost of the starter set for new people, who may well find the material acceptable, but its just too poor for my own tastes.

I'm reposing Nora anyway to look like she was in the promotional material, though with how bendy some of the limbs are they're just asking for tears with handling (especially around the calves on the human figures, which are a bit spindly). Her rifle's too large compared to the art for it, which is kind of weird, so just cut the thing in half and rebuilt the front end. As did they just use the generic in game model for a Vault Suit plus level 1 leather armour chest. Whereas in the art she has a holster. I guess they were limited creatively on what they could do to just the in game models, instead of being allowed to edit them (probably a licensing thing).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 12:35:02 AM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2018, 11:21:05 PM »
I'm reading through the rules, and right away something's bugging me. The icons. The icon for a pistol is a Glock, not a 10mm pistol. The rifle is an AK-74, not one of the ARs which appear in the newer games. The armour icon is a Stalhelm, not a Combat Armour helmet. And the computer doesn't resemble the ones from the games. And so on...

Just a little thing like that which is kind of annoying. I'll likely never fix it myself unless custom cards are required in future, but its not like the developers couldn't have made better icons instead of using these generic ones. It doesn't really reflect on the quality of the product, though its something which I would have expected (similarly that the actual figure icons on the cards are just grey 3D models, instead of say green V.A.T.S. outlines is also a simple thing which they could have done, but didn't). :/

Offline 3ishop

• Lurker
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2018, 03:06:54 PM »
I'm reading through the rules, and right away something's bugging me. The icons. The icon for a pistol is a Glock, not a 10mm pistol. The rifle is an AK-74, not one of the ARs which appear in the newer games. The armour icon is a Stalhelm, not a Combat Armour helmet. And the computer doesn't resemble the ones from the games. And so on...

Just a little thing like that which is kind of annoying. I'll likely never fix it myself unless custom cards are required in future, but its not like the developers couldn't have made better icons instead of using these generic ones. It doesn't really reflect on the quality of the product, though its something which I would have expected (similarly that the actual figure icons on the cards are just grey 3D models, instead of say green V.A.T.S. outlines is also a simple thing which they could have done, but didn't). :/
In fairness the 10mm pistol has changed in shape over time so not fussed with them going with a more generic pistol. The AK system is again reconcilable and basic design crosses the most games and is in FO4 from Nuka world. Helmet seems based off the Army Helmet, this is shaped off the stalhelm and is in more of the games. Computers are had to do a 3D object in a simple 2D format and a range of designs across the games.

They went with the image of the actual model...I don't see a problem with that. Makes it easy for you to tell which model it is on the table top.

Offline Noctuary

• Librarian
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2018, 05:07:25 PM »
Been a while (heh, half of you guys probably don't even remember my name here ;) ).

Hopefully that means you'll be working on some PA stuff soon then :) Good to see you back in this corner of the internet.

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2018, 06:49:22 PM »

For what the figures, and what I've bought, they seem all right. Clearly just pulls of the in game models then printing out. But I have to wonder if people with their own printers couldn't be doing this sort of stuff at home (and I haven't followed this particular sub board in ages to follow that scene...). However, I find the poses on some of the human figures in the starter set uninspired, and detail lacking in some places at a level you wouldn't see with traditional sculpting (the hair and faces).

At the risk of getting side tracked, Modiphius didn't just pull the models from the game engine, and print them out.  Model's extracted from game engines tend to be crap when it comes to producing a physical mini.  They meshes aren't water tight, they lack a lot of modeled detail (which often comes from the texture overlayed on the mesh) and they need to have proportions beefed up so they don't look like stick figures when reduced to 1/50 scale.  Extracted models are a good place to start to get a sense of scale and proportionality, but I'd wager that Modiphius had to re sculpt all of them before printing masters for mold making.  I think what your'e seeing is the loss of detail from the resin masters to PVC molds.  Having gotten the starter which included the PVC figures and the add on resin replacement starter figures, quality is night and day.  Not sure it was worth the price, but they sure are pretty.  Having gotten the starter which included the PVC figures and the add on resin replacement starter figures, quality is night and day.  Not sure it was worth the price, but they sure are pretty. 

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2018, 03:37:29 PM »
I am really surprised that I have not seen much in the way of reviews for this game. I bought the two player starter set. I have read the rules. I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I am hoping to get to play a few games later on today.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2018, 07:50:10 AM »
I have to agree with spect_spidey about the dearth of reviews.

As my only previous exposure to Fallout was the series of television sponsorship adverts (the boy, his dog and perhaps power armour, it was a while ago) I have no automatic interest and what I have read has not grabbed my attention, let alone my wallet.

The reviews do seem to contrast the quality of the PVC and resin figures.

I do look forward to seeing what people are doing with the figures.

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2018, 07:39:44 PM »
I finally got the chance to play the game with a friend this past weekend.  We got through the first two scenarios in the tutorial campaign.

Generally, my after-play impressions are the same as my reading impressions - there's a lot of moving parts and some fiddlyness, but it's more of the "lots of spots to hang the neat stuff on" complex rather than the "clunky due to poor game design" sort of complex.  When explaining things to my friend - who'd only glanced over the rules - there was a LOT of, "Oh...so that works an awful lot like Fallout, then..."

The two scenarios we played felt a little weighted in favor of the Survivors to me, but that's alright - they're specifically learning games.  My strongest impression is that the system complexity will make building your own narrative scenarios/campaigns a lot easier, as I already have a lot of ideas for small, solo campaign missions!

So, my shorter summary:  The icons and fiddly bits in the rules give it a longer learning curve, but when it clicks you've got it.  It's got plenty of moving parts to hang neat effects on, and that should make for a great narrative-driven game.

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2019, 03:07:26 PM »
Finally got my hand on the Sole Survivor boxset.
I'm impressed. Great miniatures. The survivor and Dogmeat look fantastic and I still need to put Codsworth together.
I'm very tempted to get more figures from the series. Until then, the Survivor might find Zombicide town on his path...

Offline Onimusha

• Librarian
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2019, 09:45:38 AM »
I am also very impressed about the unique gameplay, but unfortunately everything is out of stock right now  :'(