Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:52:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Wargames Atlantic medieval range  (Read 5953 times)

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
New Wargames Atlantic medieval range
« on: April 01, 2024, 11:01:26 AM »
This looks very interesting, especially for those who play Barons War.

First set is foot Knights which are up for preorder now with sets for Sergeants, Levy and Cavalry to follow apparently.

Full details are available on the website.

Steve

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: New Wargames Atlantic medieval range
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 11:06:10 AM »
I saw these earlier and if there's a manner in which they could be used as men at arms with spears (largely missing from the market and probable minor conversions with the plastics?) then I would probably give them a try.

I suppose it all depends on the angle of that arm and hand as to whether they would be suitable.

Just my tuppence.

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 11:47:05 AM »
I think I read a comment on Facebook earlier that parts are designed so that you can swap them between box sets for more options. If so, I would hope swapping bits between this and the Sergeants would allow something like that.

Steve

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 12:04:46 PM »
Assume this is to some degree aimed at the SAGA Age of Chivalry release later this year.

WA got rather beaten to the draw by Victrix on Late Romans. They did two sets Late Roman Hamata and Goths. They even announced a Late Roman Unarmoured box set but never actually delivered. Seemed to get swept away by the 7(!) Late Roman sets Victrix launched. Seems now that WA is trying to preempt Victrix (who have Medieval Cavalry in the pipeline). Not my era but great to see some competition in plastic ranges.   

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 12:22:31 PM »
I don't think they are too bothered by what others release. They announced a ton of sets years ago, but then pandemic and moving their production from China to the US delayed a lot of production. I think a lot of people are reading more into that then it was. Sets are starting to be released and they're being a bit more deliberate about announcing things which is probably a good idea.

These look pretty good. Not a fan of the raised arm and how it ends up looking with the shoulder, which is a drawback of having whole arms. The rest of the sculpts are some of the best work I've seen from WGA, and if I end up doing a 13th century force I may be tempted to pick some up with the intention of kitbashing with Victrix upcoming.

Offline TheDilfy

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 12:39:16 PM »
Assume this is to some degree aimed at the SAGA Age of Chivalry release later this year.

WA got rather beaten to the draw by Victrix on Late Romans. They did two sets Late Roman Hamata and Goths. They even announced a Late Roman Unarmoured box set but never actually delivered. Seemed to get swept away by the 7(!) Late Roman sets Victrix launched. Seems now that WA is trying to preempt Victrix (who have Medieval Cavalry in the pipeline). Not my era but great to see some competition in plastic ranges.

I think more choice the better for the hobbyist, IMHO.
Climber, Motorbiking, Board gaming and Wargaming

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2024, 01:52:12 PM »
I think more choice the better for the hobbyist, IMHO.
Agreed. I think the variation in ranges and manufacturers is one of the things that makes historicals gaming so much fun when compared to, say, Warhammer.

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2024, 02:08:22 PM »
It seems they have been working with Andy Hobday and Paul Hicks to create a range of box sets suitable for the Barons War game. The plastics have been scaled to fit in with the existing metal range which is cool.

Steve

Offline FriendlyNeighbourhoodNerd

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2024, 02:44:15 PM »
These look rather nice, even though I haven't heard the best things about Wargames Atlantic.
Look better than Fireforge I think (from whom I bought a set of cavalry and was not very satisfied) and since they're collaborating with Paul Hicks as RedRowan said, it should be a guarantee of decent quality, no?

All in all I might pick up a box, maybe with some Footsore metals (which I've been wanting to get for a while now) as well.

Offline David Cowper

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 03:03:01 PM »
The more the merrier as far as I’m concerned. I’d like some without surcoats for the  mid to late 12th century.

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2024, 04:12:54 PM »
I think 1320 is pushing it! :?

Most of these lads would be looking very dated even into the later 1200s... Still, I suppose there's probably options on the sprue for equipping all with later helmets, and what's on the box is likely just to display an assortment of what you get within...
Proudly not painting Wars of The Roses since... ever

Offline FinnN

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2024, 05:11:15 PM »
There’s pictures of the sprue on the WA website ( https://wargamesatlantic.com/products/foot-knights-1150-1320

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2024, 06:16:27 PM »
I think I read a comment on Facebook earlier that parts are designed so that you can swap them between box sets for more options. If so, I would hope swapping bits between this and the Sergeants would allow something like that.

Steve

They're doing Serjeants as well?  8)

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2024, 06:22:04 PM »
They look quite good!

Offline NTM

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2024, 07:54:22 PM »
They're doing Serjeants as well?  8)