Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 07:13:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 02 Hundred Hours, opinions?  (Read 872 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
02 Hundred Hours, opinions?
« on: May 01, 2024, 11:58:26 PM »
I’ve got SAS and DAK all painted and based.  I’ve been using Fistful of Lead and Pulp Alley. Looked into 02 Hundred and watch a couple play through videos.  Interesting, but the chits in the bag and special dice make it seem a bit fiddly.  What do folks think of these rules?

Offline Mark

• Librarian
Re: 02 Hundred Hours, opinions?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 12:07:07 AM »
Played once, the Butcher and Bolt scenario with French Maquis against Germans. I really enjoyed it, and the chits weren't too intrusive.

May have been just my opponents dice, but I think it can be quite frustrating for the defender.

Offline anton ryzbak

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 04:24:16 AM »
I have played it many times, I do find playing the defender a bit constrictive in the way that it limits your response. But, let's face it these are low-quality rear-area troops that are bored out of their minds guarding the same facility that they have been at for months, why would tonight be different? They are probably poorly-trained, less motivated and just watching the clock until their shift is over. The game limits the defender's responses because they have no reason to respond. The attacker are highly motivated superbly trained warriors in the very best of physical condition. The running clock means that the attacker is not rewarded by playing a patient game, they must strike hard and swiftly using stealth to cover their approach and cunning to mislead the defenders. The chits are not terribly distracting as a figure only acquires one after he acts (we place them on the figures data card so they don't appear on the table) and the random movement sequence reflects that even the best laid plans go awry. Try to get in a game or two at a convention if you can, or watch the videos. I have played Fistful of Lead and Pulp Alley and to my mind this better reflects the problems of small elite forces executing nighttime raids.

Offline Vanth

• Librarian
    • Warcolours Miniature Painting Studio
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 09:51:03 AM »
Love the game: I find it even better when you play the same scenario twice, switching sides
Vanth
"...there are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..:"

http://www.warcolours.net
https://www.facebook.com/warcolours
https://www.etsy.com/shop/WarcoloursMiniatures
https://www.instagram.com/warcoloursminiatures/

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 12:42:33 PM »
Would it work solo?

Offline anton ryzbak

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2024, 02:35:35 PM »
I am pretty sure that the system would run on solo rather well. The defender is on autopilot for the first half (or so) of the game and, even after the alarm is raised, has important restrictions. I have run games that were one-sided in that I ran the defenders and the players were all acting as a team, almost an RPG

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 05:22:30 AM »
I've only played it a few times so my view are not as informed as many.  I found the German/defender role quite frustrating. As an earlier post has said this may be realistic but does that make for a "fun" game for both players?  That said the British player did concentrate on killing Germans which did add to my "frustration" as they are so much better rather than completing his mission.   

Offline Vanth

• Librarian
    • Warcolours Miniature Painting Studio
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 07:46:13 AM »
Would it work solo?

There is a free pdf for solo rules downloadable from their store, so yes, most definitely

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2024, 08:46:24 PM »
I've played a few games solo and demo'ed the game.  I enjoy the cinematic story of a game.  The Defender doesn't have an easy time of it, but that doesn't mean they can't win.  It's a fun game and as long as you play it that way rather than "I need to win at all costs", you'll have fun with it.