Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2024, 01:08:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694987
  • Total Topics: 118646
  • Online Today: 576
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New aeronef project - help needed  (Read 6066 times)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
New aeronef project - help needed
« on: April 01, 2010, 05:23:16 PM »
I want to build one or two small(ish) aeronef-type flyers for a VSF concept I'm working on, but I need some suggestions to help with sources of parts. The flyers are for (secret) race of human types and must not look like any aeronef models currently available, either for Earth nations or Parroom Station/Space 1889 Martians. Scale is 28mm.

The hull concept that I'm working on at the moment is a flyer looking much like an ancient galley or similar style  fighting boat - ideally  with a raised stern deck for the steersman and an ornate bow (possibly with a ram or fightig platform on which I can mount some artillery). I will probably give the miodel wings. Scale is heroic 28mm and the model must have space to hold at least a few figures on 2p coins or round slotta bases.

To save having to do too much work (or at least to have a robust base to build on and add detailing) I was thinking of using an existing resin or plastic model as a basis for this work. Can anyone suggest suitable candidate models for this project?
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: New aeronef project - help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 05:30:11 PM »
I want to build one or two small(ish) aeronef-type flyers for a VSF concept I'm working on, but I need some suggestions to help with sources of parts. The flyers are for (secret) race of human types and must not look like any aeronef models currently available, either for Earth nations or Parroom Station/Space 1889 Martians. Scale is 28mm.

The hull concept that I'm working on at the moment is a flyer looking much like an ancient galley or similar style  fighting boat - ideally  with a raised stern deck for the steersman and an ornate bow (possibly with a ram or fightig platform on which I can mount some artillery). I will probably give the miodel wings. Scale is heroic 28mm and the model must have space to hold at least a few figures on 2p coins or round slotta bases.

To save having to do too much work (or at least to have a robust base to build on and add detailing) I was thinking of using an existing resin or plastic model as a basis for this work. Can anyone suggest suitable candidate models for this project?

I seem to recall that the old Sky Galleons had that "ancient galley" thing going already. Would you consider using a Viking Longboat as a base? Revell (re-?)issued one in 1/50th scale, and you could easily add wings to that, to make it look like some of the concept sketches for Jabba's skimmers in RotJ - unfortunately, my TAoRotJ book is in Germany right now, but I'll try to goole something.

I think that the curved shapes of a Viking boat/ship will work nicely if you manage to properly curve the wings. Additionally, the clinker planking would serve to distinguish it from other ships as well.

EDIT:

THis is not the image I immediately had in mind, but the "Hangglider" look could be adapted as well:

http://pinlac.com/images/JabbaSailBarge.jpg

Found the one I had in mind:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081201034310/starwars/images/thumb/4/48/Sail_barge_Sketchbook.jpg/728px-Sail_barge_Sketchbook.jpg

The upper left one in particular would work nicely with a Viking hull, methinks.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 05:33:21 PM by Westfalia Chris »

former user

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 05:42:11 PM »
I can offer an Idea I was toying with:
there are many ship models available in different scales, not expensive

so I thought cutting the model in half at the widest spot, closing the gap with flat wood plank sheets and inserting a narrower "bridge" in between that can take up broadside batteries

masts are pointing downwards so that it helps with the flying base and You gat an unobstructed flat deck.

I intended to do this with my two old chinese junk models for my Lizardmen army (next year)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 05:50:28 PM »
The problem with Viking ship hulls is that they are a little too basic. I was thinking of something with more features - raised fighting deck , etc - much like an ancient or renaissance galley. Another possible style could be something Far-Eastern, which has the advantage that the 'donor' model wouldn't be immediately recognisable.

@ Westfalia Chris - I like the sketches - any of the ones in the second set would work (possibly the bottom one if I go for a galley concept.

@ former user - nice idea. I toyed with using a junk as the base for the model, but really wanted something a bit more sleek (to run rings around other player's 'nefs  ;)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 05:50:41 PM »
I can offer an Idea I was toying with:
there are many ship models available in different scales, not expensive

so I thought cutting the model in half at the widest spot, closing the gap with flat wood plank sheets and inserting a narrower "bridge" in between that can take up broadside batteries

masts are pointing downwards so that it helps with the flying base and You gat an unobstructed flat deck.

I intended to do this with my two old chinese junk models for my Lizardmen army (next year)

So you mean stretching the hull length? I think that might negatively impact the hull lines. The masts beneath are a nice idea, although watching the sails and, ultimately landing will be quite a challenge! lol

The problem with Viking ship hulls is that they are a little too basic. I was thinking of something with more features - raised fighting deck , etc - much like an ancient or renaissance galley. Another possible style could be something Far-Eastern, which has the advantage that the 'donor' model wouldn't be immediately recognisable.

I see what you mean. Maybe a Xebec, in that case?

http://www.gianhien.net/retail/all/ima_pro/xebec7.jpg

Those would work nice with wings to give a sleek, birdlike impression. I once built such an airship for Flintloque games, but unfortunately never took any pics...  :(

Xebecs, though, are more difficult to find outside of the "classical ship modellers' community".
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 05:54:53 PM by Westfalia Chris »

former user

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »
well, here is a rough digital sketch, of a model I found on the internet.
Breaking up the ship line was exactly what I intended.
And landing? well, one can roll out the rope ladder
there is a chebeque model in 1:60 from Heller, but it is gigantic and expensive.

otherwise, there is also a golden hind model and there was a gigantic galleon model from Revell.
I have them all at home  ;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:03:05 PM by bedwyr »

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 06:04:37 PM »
Any of these any good?
The larger type of flyer (Dreadhull Airship) is not out yet from what I can see

http://www.squidoo.com/arsenale_shipworks_catalog

Mors
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:06:39 PM by Mors »

former user

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 06:08:04 PM »
the models are nice, but they would be too simple for me

Offline Patron Zero

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 09:46:21 PM »
As is typical with me, allow me to dash off 180 degrees from the thread's consensus, that said.....

Have you considered something of a more 'organic' design rather than technological ?  I ask because if you are familiar with TSR/WOTC's AD&D setting, Spelljammer, many of the vessels depicted represent grown-nurtured than conventional construction.

To put that to a 'workable' miniatures application, have you browsed any pet shops or retailers that have aquarium decorations ?

A lot of great starting points found on various aquatic creatures that could achieve that very different style of aeronef conveyance.

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 10:21:35 PM »
What about the actual Jabba Skiff. You can find them on Ebay. There was a repro of the original done in the late 80's that can be had for much less than the originals.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POTF2-Tatooine-Skiff-with-Luke-figure-Mint-Never-open_W0QQitemZ320509505408QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN?hash=item4a9fdaef80

It was used for several of the original Salute ships

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 10:59:46 PM »
What beauties they are!

I'm half tempted to make some and make some moulds of them...  :)

Make some from scratch that is, not using the star wars things.

Offline Whiskyrat

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 12:43:12 AM »
What about the actual Jabba Skiff. You can find them on Ebay. There was a repro of the original done in the late 80's that can be had for much less than the originals.

I have 2 of 'em - bought for this very reason.

I need to practice on something "less worthy" first though.  :-X

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 08:27:07 AM »
Here's an idea Dave  :D

How about using models of whales/fish and modelling howdaa's on the top and sides. There used to be a magazine called 'Dragon' and one of the front covers had a 'Star-whale' on. A very large beastie, plying the space lanes with a massive bridge/quarters on it's back.

Something like this http://www.armadillotoys.co.uk/index.php?product_id=803871&category_id=8706&option=Prod_detail&image_id=385411

With wooden decking, sails etc. Obviously you'd have to get a big one, but there's a lot of potential there  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Whiskyrat

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 01:52:59 PM »
How about something like this or this?

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 02:41:52 PM »
Thanks for the inspiration guys - lots of great ideas.

@ former user - your concept for the junk is actually very similar to the hullcutters in the Warlords' Cloudships of Mars game.

@ Whiskyrat - nice pics - I particularly like the squidship and nautilis - and lucky you for having TWO Jabba skiffs to play with (something like one of those would be an ideal choice for working up a solution.