Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 12:21:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691664
  • Total Topics: 118415
  • Online Today: 639
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Netflix rebel moon  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Netflix rebel moon
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2024, 10:05:02 AM »
I got as far as the scene ripped off from that unfortunate section in Mary Gentle's Grunts.

Ooh; I'm a big fan of Grunts!; highly underrated piece of humorous fantasy, that :D

Now I'm going to have to sit through the movie just to get the reference.

I had been intending to anyway, but have not come around to it yet. I can't say I'm hyped to see it, but I like pretty visuals, so wooden acting and cruddy story lines will (probably) not bother me too much ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2024, 01:13:27 PM »
I'm kind of amused that people watch a Zack Snyder film and expect anything other than a two hour video game cut scene.

I want to stick up for video game cut scenes here; they're better written, directed, and acted  - on a much smaller budget.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2024, 01:23:29 PM »
"The evil Empire has done many bad things, but offering to pay above market price for this tiny space-viking village's excess grain is a step too far. We make our stand here! Gather the totally random band of people who have no reason to care and off we go!"

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2024, 07:54:50 AM »
"The evil Empire has done many bad things, but offering to pay above market price for this tiny space-viking village's excess grain is a step too far. We make our stand here! Gather the totally random band of people who have no reason to care and off we go!"
and why that piddly little village? they clearly state all the grain they sell goes to the space port, why not occupy there where you get all the grain from the entire planet in one spot...

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2024, 10:28:50 AM »
and why that piddly little village? they clearly state all the grain they sell goes to the space port, why not occupy there where you get all the grain from the entire planet in one spot...

Budget, I mean really then they would have to CGI the entire planetary/moonetary ? population uprising and being defended by the random 7

I mean really and lets face it, its only one planet killer space ship... probably worried that many farmers, they might find all the exhaust ports..

I want to stick up for video game cut scenes here; they're better written, directed, and acted  - on a much smaller budget.

thats a good point.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2024, 10:36:41 AM »
but that would avoid any uprising completely.

the space port grain is sold to presumably merchants who would be willing to sell the grain to the Empire, seeing as it's their whole purpose to sell grain. you don't have to force anyone to give up grain they are keeping for their own needs. the whole thing is stupid and contrived.

I'm actually getting more annoyed the more I think about it...

Don't get me started on the DC Murderverse.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2024, 11:55:04 AM »
....... the whole thing is stupid and contrived.....

lol

Snyder's 2 favourite movies as a kid were obviously "Star Wars" and "The Magnificent 7"  so he set out to rip off both but couldn't decide which one first. In the end he just kind of mashed them together.
But he fundamentally lacks the skill and ability of George Lucas or John Sturges to tell a story and develop characters within the time constraint of a movie.
Several reviews around the web link Rebel Moon to the Kurosawa classic "7 Samurai", but if that was the case it makes it Snyder's effort an even bigger failure as his story barely reaches the level of "The Magnificent 7 Ride!"

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2024, 10:11:18 PM »
I found it very 40K ish whilst watching it. Preferred it to The Creator though - which had some nice visuals, but (for me at least) as predictable and pretty lame ending.

Offline precinctomega

• Librarian
  • Roll dice. Change the world.
    • Precinct Omega Publishing at Wargame Vault
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2024, 11:33:45 AM »
Although, overall, I agree that it wasn't a particularly good offering from Snyder, there were elements of greatness alongside the dross.

The opening visuals, ploughing the soil against the backdrop of the ringed gas giant... *chef's kiss* It certainly set me up to think it was going to be amazing. Sadly it let me down.

The design of the technology, especially Jimmy the robot. Just like SWIV gave us a real sense of a "lived in" universe, this did the same thing but in a different way. Instead of things been worn and rundown and workaday, we got a sense of technology that was almost medieval in the way it was treated by its artisans. This was the most 40k-but-not-40k element of the setting, space-Nazis aside.

Some of the aliens in the bar. Sure, this was just Mos Eisley Remixed, but the parasite was absolutely awesome and briefly gave me hope that the movie would do aliens better than SW and ST (in which budgets mean that they are all basically rubber mask humans).

The visuals for the mining planet where they picked up Nemesis were stunning.

The scene where Bad Guy communicates with Belasarius in some kind of technological spirit world was so gloriously and consciously bizarre and baroque that it really nearly saved the movie for me. The whole scene with them connecting him up and then putting him back together was fantastic tonal counter-point to the opening scene with the plough.

Pretty much everything else was either mediocre or poor. The set-up from the opening shots was quickly lost in incongruities in scale and technology. The bar fight and the barn fight lacked consistency. The traitor was obvious from the moment he opened his mouth. Having shown us "awesome parasite alien" they then gave us "just a griffon, like, yknow, a griffon as seen in Harry Potter" as well as inconceivably buff slave-Prince, wtf?

The mining world looked amazing but we've turned up just in time to see someone reluctantly slaughter the last native with... swords, for some reason? And, again, the last native is just... a Drider. Like, from the D&D movie. Did they run out of money and have to borrow digital assets from other movies or something? How is "spider centaur" supposed to be a convincing alien? Get me the parasite back!!

A whole planet is destroyed by a ship that it's previously been established needs supplies from... one medieval village. And the rebellion is made up of Mad Max: Fury Road rejects called... "Bloodaxe". Are you 9 years old, Snyder? "Bloodaxe"? Ffs.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2024, 09:39:22 AM »
I saw it this weekend, after the rest of the family went to bed. And I lamented not having done the same...

It had some nice visuals here and there, but overall, it felt flat and derived. To be honest; having previously read this thread, I was going in a tad biased, but I felt that most of the remarks were quite deserved.

The biggest let down was the story. It just wasn't really good felt uninspired and predictable. Also, for lack of a better word, it had scaling issues. A Stardestroyer scaled ship with many hangar bays and capable of razing a planet is all of a sudden so small that it descends into atmosphere, almost docks with a hovering jetty and is then apparently controlled and steered by a gunner in a gun-sponson? (and basically destroyed by a spear??)

This pulled me out of the illusion, just like the silly characterization and out of place fantasy elements (such as the griffon and spider queen).

5/10 Would not watch again...

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2024, 12:28:37 PM »
that was a different ship at the docking jetty, but I too was a little confused by that at first.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2024, 09:17:55 AM »
and to no ones suprise, the reviews for part 2 are poop

https://www.gamesradar.com/rebel-moon-part-two-review-netflix/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 09:20:28 AM by anevilgiraffe »

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2024, 05:18:39 PM »
Coal powered spaceship

Coal

In space

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2024, 04:57:26 PM »
Well .... it ain't The Expanse.  But it was mildly entertaining and had some good visuals.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2024, 06:11:14 AM »
Coal powered spaceship

Coal

In space

That could work.
As long as you have water to boil as well. Steam nozzles could propel the vessel then slowly, but steadily…

That‘s how the Victorians went to the moon. Or with a cannon… ::)