Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 04:41:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691908
  • Total Topics: 118427
  • Online Today: 748
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Here's the Ruckus  (Read 4638 times)

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
    • The Miniature World of Wilgut Spleens
Re: Here's the Ruckus
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2024, 07:20:55 AM »
Brilliant! You really dont need to know anything about WotR to enjoy Ruckus, you dont even need to use historical figures if you dont have them. Ruckus is based in WotR because it kind of follow Billhooks and because it was easiest as I had the figures, you can make it what you like!
I have a bad case of prescient nostalgia. The future's not what it used to be.

https://wilgut.blogspot.com/

Offline Muddlingthrough

• Assistant
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2024, 12:44:21 PM »
Brilliant! You really dont need to know anything about WotR to enjoy Ruckus, you dont even need to use historical figures if you dont have them. Ruckus is based in WotR because it kind of follow Billhooks and because it was easiest as I had the figures, you can make it what you like!

Well the good news is that, of my two friends I've just recruited, one has his PhD and is employed as a military historian. Like, for the actual military. The other has his Masters in military history and has a shelf full of books on the War of the Roses, which is one of his favourite periods. So I"m sure they'll be able to give me a few pointers.

And 12 miniatures a side is a very low barrier to entry. My military historian friend has never wargamed before and is onboard.

I'm just getting back into the hobby after a long absence and am gonna have to get to work making some suitable terrain: hedgerows and muck and whatnot.

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2024, 01:13:36 PM »
Excellent! I hope you enjoy it! If you do Facebook come and join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/227891339822507

Offline Muddlingthrough

• Assistant
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2024, 01:58:40 PM »
Excellent! I hope you enjoy it! If you do Facebook come and join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/227891339822507

Already joined!

Offline Dice Roller

• Bookworm
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2024, 02:17:50 PM »
I'll definitely have to pick up a copy of this.
How specific is it to the WotR?
I'm more of an early 100YW gamer, so can it be used for the chainmail period?
I'm guessing it probably can. And fantasy too?

Offline Sleepy Snoozy Skeletons

• Assistant
  • Where's my coffee?
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2024, 02:31:26 PM »

And 12 miniatures a side is a very low barrier to entry. My military historian friend has never wargamed before and is onboard.

Oh yeah, both your mates and you could share a single Perry War of the Roses infantry box and still have 4 minis spare  ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 02:36:31 PM by Sleepy Snoozy Skeletons »
My WIP Thread

Instruments of destruction
Tools of foul play
It's a vile interruption
Existence drifts away

Offline Muddlingthrough

• Assistant
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2024, 03:08:45 PM »
Oh yeah, both your mates and you could share a single Perry War of the Roses infantry box and still have 4 minis spare  ;)

I was looking at this box. It'll make 36 troops, some combination of archers and billmen, and 4 armoured command. The rules call for 9 retainers and 3 heros per retinue. I'm thinking the WR1 infantry box along with the WR50 foot knights box would be the most economical. Enough spare troops to recruit a couple more players eventually too.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2024, 05:45:48 PM »
The postman brought my copy yesterday. Excellent stuff (that will in no way distract me from finishing painting my Burgundian mob for Billhooks...). Hearty congratulations on what looks like a fun and cleverly thought-out set of rules.

Just downloaded the cards, QRS, skills list &c from the WI website. There's a wealth of good things to explore.

I think, though, that the Divers Alarums card fronts have been posted twice, once under its own name, and a second time instead of the Cunning Plan card fronts. Also I can't find the list of Traits anywhere. Am I missing something obvious? Thought it was worth mentioning this.

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2024, 06:34:42 PM »
I think, though, that the Divers Alarums card fronts have been posted twice, once under its own name, and a second time instead of the Cunning Plan card fronts. Also I can't find the list of Traits anywhere. Am I missing something obvious? Thought it was worth mentioning this.

Thank you , excellent spot, I will let them know and it will probably be changed tomorrow!

Offline Sleepy Snoozy Skeletons

• Assistant
  • Where's my coffee?
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2024, 07:28:35 PM »
I was looking at this box. It'll make 36 troops, some combination of archers and billmen, and 4 armoured command. The rules call for 9 retainers and 3 heros per retinue. I'm thinking the WR1 infantry box along with the WR50 foot knights box would be the most economical. Enough spare troops to recruit a couple more players eventually too.

The two kits also kitbash really well together (I think the Perry bros have pics of this on their store page, too). I've built some minis from both kits and they are a joy to play around with. Big thumbs up from me for both  :)

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2024, 09:11:49 PM »
I'll definitely have to pick up a copy of this.
How specific is it to the WotR?
I'm more of an early 100YW gamer, so can it be used for the chainmail period?
I'm guessing it probably can. And fantasy too?
It can be used quite easily to play any medieval, period I think , with a little adjustment. I have written a HYW supplement complete with scenarios, special rules, new Retainer profiles, new mercenaries etc.We are playing a campaign with it now and it seems to work well, it will, no doubt be released at some time in the future.The future of Ruckus really does depend on how well it is recieved
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 06:35:43 AM by Wilgut Spleens »

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2024, 09:13:36 PM »
It can be used quite easily to play any medieval period I think , with a little adjustment. I have written a HYW supplement complete with scenarios, special rules, new Retainer profiles, new mercenaries etc.We atre playing a campain with it now and it seesm to work well, it will, no doubt be released at some time in the future.The future of Ruckus really does depend on how well it is recieved

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2024, 04:47:44 PM »
Just had chance for an in depth perusal, it's great! I reckon with a smidge of imagination you could go from the Age of Heroes, the Sons of Odin, right up to the Crusades, no problem.
 :-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2024, 07:26:19 PM »
Thank you! I think you are right, there are plans and quite a lot has been written...

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2024, 09:25:11 AM »
..its in the shops!