Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 11:07:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691995
  • Total Topics: 118430
  • Online Today: 696
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Medieval Convent and Monastery in 15 mm???  (Read 764 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Medieval Convent and Monastery in 15 mm???
« on: April 24, 2024, 06:40:01 AM »
Looking to add a monastery and a convent to my Robin Hood setup so looking for ideas for buildings in 15 mm.  Greatly prefer in resin (not 3D prints).  So any ideas what is out there that will work?  Thing in terms of something quite small and rural - not something grandiose.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 06:46:15 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Dice Roller

• Bookworm
Re: Medieval Convent and Monastery in 15 mm???
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 08:03:36 AM »
Something small and rural would not look too dissimilar to a manor house.
In all probability that's because it may have been previously just that, and was gifted to the order by the local baron, etc.
So maybe just look for a suitable manor house model?
Then a wall or fence around it with some out buildings and a chapel.
That'll do you for what most 'ordinary' monasteries and nunneries would look like.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 03:21:36 PM »
Dice Roller, thanks for the input.

Another element I hope to include - and a bit truncated - is cloister for both the convent and the monastery.  Love to hear if anyone makes such a thing in 15 mm.

If not, I may have to do some scratch building - or some 'kitbashing' if I can make that work.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 03:42:51 PM »
From what I know of medieval monasteries most would have a church and then some stone or wood buildings housing the refectory, chapter house and living accomodation. I don't know anyone who currently produces a 15mm resin medieval church. Sarissa produce one in Mdf ( listed in their ECW range) and Empires at War produce a Normandy one in their WW2 range.   

Offline Dice Roller

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 03:49:57 PM »
You'll only get a cloister and chapter House on a larger and more elaborate monastery.

Offline Dice Roller

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 04:19:49 PM »
Here you go. Here's some images to help you.

Here's what a poorer (by comparison!), rural, monastery would have looked like:

Whereas something with a cloister, separate infirmary, and all the other bits one associates with a monastery, which would have probably been a significant site for the order and probably formed the order's regional headquarters would look like this:

If 'small and rural' is what you are after then you should be looking to model the former. But if you want cloisters etc then that's NOT 'small and rural', but is probably more how we imagine a medieval monastic building to look. Your choice what to go for!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2024, 05:05:25 PM »
Thanks for the input.  Here is a definition:

cloister /kloi′stər/
noun
1. A covered walk with an open colonnade on one side, running along the walls of buildings that face a quadrangle.

2. A place, especially a monastery or convent, devoted to religious seclusion.
Life in a monastery or convent.

I'm thinking much more in terms of 1. than 2.  So maybe a central church (I have a couple to choose from already - perhaps not perfect but workable for my purposes) with a covered walkway to either side leading to the monastery and the convent or maybe the living quarters fronted by the colonnade - a conjoined facility as it were (pun possibly intended!  :o). Though if there is a quadrangle the other sides would be devoted to the more bucolic elements of life - barns, stables, etc.

So, a little more like the "poorer (by comparison)" version with a tiny bit of the other image.  Perhaps a hybrid leaning towards rural, maybe something on the verge of 'growing up' into something more elaborate one day.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 05:16:02 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Dice Roller

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2024, 05:35:46 PM »
Yup, I know what a cloister is!
You'll notice the top picture has no cloister whilst it's quite obvious in the bottom picture.
In actual fact, the arches in a cloister were often glazed because it was the area where the monks would sit and write (using the natural light from the large windows). They seem open now because the glass has long since been removed. But originally they were more than simple passageways, they were work areas.

To be honest, since you are aiming this at Robin Hood games, I don't think you should feel too constrained by history. It very much feels like you are after the Hollywood idea of a medieval monastery (presumably the abode of a wealthy and corrupt abbot that Robin can steal from!) and you should embrace that and just go for it because it will provide you with the games that such characters merit.
Nowt wrong with that!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2024, 08:01:44 PM »
Hmm, never knew that about the glazing of the cloisters, curious tid bit of history.