Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 10:04:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694529
  • Total Topics: 118614
  • Online Today: 576
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1733686 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5460 on: November 21, 2016, 08:14:05 PM »
Are you describing your own situation, or is it vicarious anger?

Bought it together with a friend, had the models painted by a very talented painter, played it quite a bit, contemplated selling our versions when the price kept climbing. I guess we should have done so, would have got us enough cash to buy another version, have it painted and still have cash left over. Ah well.

Honestly, I would have been ok if they made a new version of the game. Different models, different tiles, basically the same game but a "variant" edition, publish a pdf that can "only" be played if you have both heck they might have gotten my money a second time that way. Have their cake and eat it too.

Saying something is limited and then releasing it again a bit later, with virtually no changes is a shitty move. It is the kind of thing that made people lose trust in GW. I'm not bitter over this latest release, it's a good game, I've been enjoying it for years and am glad others can too. But as you can see it does touch on old sore spots for many of us.  ::)
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #5461 on: November 21, 2016, 10:43:40 PM »
Only ever bought the original version  ::)

Never heard of the first limited edition until I got back into this hobby.

No great interest in buying any of the limited, less limited, latest.. un-er-limited? Versions....

But the main issue I see is the same that got me to walk away 20 or more years ago, and what clearly continued after.

Its not about their behaviour and tactics re one product, Space Hulk Editions is just a good example - its the overall sustained acts - featuring many products. Over many Years.

If finally somehow they are doing things better - sure they can re-release, new release and un-OOP anything they want, fine by me, and maybe if the pricing is right I might even buy into some of it - hell bring back Warhammer under special games even - brand it Warhammer Period Battles or  Historical or something :D

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5462 on: November 22, 2016, 03:24:14 AM »
I bought the second "Limited edition" and have the original. So glad they now have stealer cults available too. I might need to source the old genestealer and deathwing supplements from the first edition to put the new minis to use.

Offline Leifr Eiríksson

• Assistant
« Reply #5463 on: November 22, 2016, 07:44:04 AM »
And Epic 30K would be cool... . :D

Adeptus Titanicus is coming out next year?  ;)
"In sorrow we must go, but not in despair.
Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world,
and beyond them is more than memory."

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5464 on: November 22, 2016, 07:59:34 AM »
Sigh, so glad I bought spacehulk when I had the chance ::).

Well GW, at least go all out this time: support it and get it some supplements. Other chapters, genestealer cults. That would make it interesting for those who already have it. I might even buy an expension even though I rarely play it. Just because I love adding to my boardgame selection...
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5465 on: November 22, 2016, 08:08:17 AM »
I wonder if that is why they are re-releasing it. Now that the cult's fluff is back in the 40k universe maybe they are going to cash in on the expansions? I'd be happy with that.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5466 on: November 22, 2016, 08:41:25 AM »
Fingers crossed tightly  :D

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #5467 on: November 22, 2016, 11:28:09 AM »

Would be nice but

In 8mm... assume that's GW "it looks better in our tests" standard scale creep and nothing to do with "6mm standard everyone else does"?

So expect it to be 18mm by 2018 if still supported, and  in "28mm" AOS style by 2019?

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5468 on: November 22, 2016, 02:52:05 PM »
Would be nice but

In 8mm... assume that's GW "it looks better in our tests" standard scale creep and nothing to do with "6mm standard everyone else does"?

So expect it to be 18mm by 2018 if still supported, and  in "28mm" AOS style by 2019?

Adeptus Titanicus is just big stompy titans so 6mm, 8mm, it's all the same really. It's only if infantry and vehicles are introduced that I can see people who have 6mm stuff maybe being turned off by the larger scale as those pieces would likely look a little odd next to their armies. A lot of people seem to think this is the return of Epic 40K but it may just be another stand alone boxed game, maybe a few expansions to keep it going but I'd be surprised if GW are going to go all out and start producing everything 40K in 8mm. Seems too big a commitment when this is the GW age of one stop shop boxed games.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #5469 on: November 22, 2016, 03:06:04 PM »
By the sounds of it, the Adeptus Titanicus models will be pretty big, but according to this info the boxed game won't have any models, so you could just use old epic models. I get the impression infantry isn't involved. And that it could get pretty bloody pricey!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #5470 on: November 22, 2016, 03:41:36 PM »

Adeptus Titanicus is just big stompy titans so 6mm, 8mm, it's all the same really. It's only if infantry and vehicles are introduced that I can see people who have 6mm stuff maybe being turned off by the larger scale as those pieces would likely look a little odd next to their armies. A lot of people seem to think this is the return of Epic 40K but it may just be another stand alone boxed game, maybe a few expansions to keep it going but I'd be surprised if GW are going to go all out and start producing everything 40K in 8mm. Seems too big a commitment when this is the GW age of one stop shop boxed games.

True. Guilty as charged as I have both Epic and A.T. in the cubboard.

It was big stompy robots back in the day to if you did not involve epic.

I will sit back, shut up and wait to see what happens - but if as they say its all to be FW resin models, I doubt I will be able to afford enough of them - would have to default to originals anyway.

seems a bit dissappointing having a box if there's no minis going in it ..

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5471 on: November 22, 2016, 06:59:06 PM »
By the sounds of it, the Adeptus Titanicus models will be pretty big, but according to this info the boxed game won't have any models, so you could just use old epic models. I get the impression infantry isn't involved. And that it could get pretty bloody pricey!
No models? Now that is a strange rumour. One I need to see to believe. Minis is GW's bread and butter.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5472 on: November 22, 2016, 08:37:34 PM »

seems a bit dissappointing having a box if there's no minis going in it ..

That's certainly an odd one and surely a tough sell.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5473 on: November 22, 2016, 09:05:11 PM »
I'm getting the feeling GW is trying to move further into the board game market. Their break with Fantasy Flight might have something to do with it. It would make sense. Sell AT as a "board game" with tokens and make the miniatures a options for the wargamers, double your target audience with the board gamers who don't do miniatures. This is total speculation on my part though.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5474 on: November 22, 2016, 10:39:13 PM »
I'm getting the feeling GW is trying to move further into the board game market. Their break with Fantasy Flight might have something to do with it. It would make sense. Sell AT as a "board game" with tokens and make the miniatures a options for the wargamers, double your target audience with the board gamers who don't do miniatures. This is total speculation on my part though.

I don't see AT as a boardgame, but then again Battletech is. The appeal of the recent boardgames is totally miniatures based and if it weren't for nice models at a reduced price would anyone have bothered with Betrayal or Deathwatch Overkill? It'll be interesting to see how they do end up packaging the game.