Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:53:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10482
  • Latest: Veroo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694472
  • Total Topics: 118609
  • Online Today: 678
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1733261 times)

Online Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2310 on: November 29, 2014, 06:04:44 PM »
I think the reason is very clear. They dont want to sell minis. The computer game stuff is where the money is these days.

That ie profit from virtual not physical product, and generate revenue by simply selling their IP accordingly.

I suspect part of the model pricing also relates to the usual amount of GW cynicism sell while movie is hot, and dump/abandon the game as quickly as possible as the hype around the movies dies down.

In essence their own IP is about the only thing left that they can gain revenue from in the future.  Selling physical product is getting to hard with their business model now - the prices are going beyond what even die-hard fans are willing to pay in large enough numbers

Also just read about base size changes for power-armoured models (ie bigger) and that Smaug will be going on sale possible at about $500 US dollar point

http://www.beastsofwar.com/warhammer-40k/base-sizes-change-smaug-coming-games-workshop/

They are going with 32mm bases...

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #2311 on: November 29, 2014, 06:51:58 PM »
And if you are here in New Zealand the price is $379 or roughly £190  lol or the heroes of mirkwood for $757

Bargains galore from GW.  lol They must have heard that Black Tree are having another sale and decided to compete.

About the base sizes for space marines, I have long been thinking that they would look nicer on 30mm bases. I have some of the new style chaos marines on 30mm display bases. Was even thinking of putting my renegade marines from the 80s on the EM4 style 30mm bases.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #2312 on: November 29, 2014, 06:57:47 PM »
cheesebeards  lol thats a classic. I will use it forever.

;)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2313 on: November 29, 2014, 08:50:38 PM »
Also, if my uncle hits tits, he'd be my aunt.

Liking tits doesn't make you a lesbian...

And regarding the 32mm base "upgrade", people will just rebase (instead of buying new miniatures*) or someone will design coasters (that have a 3mm lip) to sit the miniatures on.

*I'm sure this is what GW thinks will happen.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2314 on: November 29, 2014, 10:31:19 PM »
Liking tits doesn't make you a lesbian...

A ridiculous spelling mistake on my part ... very poor work ... I'm so ashamed.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2315 on: November 30, 2014, 06:10:15 AM »
100-150 and depending on who you go with you could easily get 200. But just think of the paint you would have to buy for that. Better to buy from GW so you save money on paints. ;)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2316 on: November 30, 2014, 10:37:32 AM »
First reaction to the base change.  >:(
Then I realized I hadn't bought any GW model for the past 4-5 years or so.  :`
And this base change might WILL just mean we are going to see more third party 32 bases, I could use a few of those.  :D
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2317 on: November 30, 2014, 06:55:49 PM »
Also just read about base size changes for power-armoured models (ie bigger) and that Smaug will be going on sale possible at about $500 US dollar point

http://www.beastsofwar.com/warhammer-40k/base-sizes-change-smaug-coming-games-workshop/

They are going with 32mm bases...

To be honest the mention of Wild West Exodus in the comments makes me angrier. "We use 32mm bases 'cos that's what makes us speshul! We have tourneys an' evryfing!"

On 40K: I guess it'll make Apocalypse even less manoeuvrable.

And as long as they don't get Trish Carden to sculpt Smaug...

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #2318 on: November 30, 2014, 08:50:17 PM »
To be honest the mention of Wild West Exodus in the comments makes me angrier. "We use 32mm bases 'cos that's what makes us speshul! We have tourneys an' evryfing!"

On 40K: I guess it'll make Apocalypse even less manoeuvrable.

And as long as they don't get Trish Carden to sculpt Smaug...

I really think that the end times and big 40k campaigns coming will cause the game to downscale to a more inq28 style game, so they can charge more for each figure because you need less.
(i already base my marines on 32mm cus i use them as true scale ones for blisterhammer)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2319 on: November 30, 2014, 09:09:45 PM »
Aye, that's the '9th ed will be skirmish' rumour, right? Anyone heard anything more about that?

Personally, I'm interested to see just how it'll pan out, but since it's GW I have my pessimist hat on. I foresee something to take on the currently popular skirmish games (Infinity, Malifaux, Bushido et al) at their own game, but mishandled with GW's typical and misguided accountants-before-game-designers confidence. Like Mordheim meets Dreadfleet. Charging more for each figure (raising their skirmish-prices-for-mass-battles for an actual skirmish) would only be the start. A few dozen utterly random stages that invalidate any sneaky move you might plan and reduce the game to an exercise in "who gets closest to six on a die?", might show their face too.

But

We'll see.

(What's blisterhammer?)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #2320 on: November 30, 2014, 09:50:06 PM »
Aye, that's the '9th ed will be skirmish' rumour, right? Anyone heard anything more about that?

Personally, I'm interested to see just how it'll pan out, but since it's GW I have my pessimist hat on. I foresee something to take on the currently popular skirmish games (Infinity, Malifaux, Bushido et al) at their own game, but mishandled with GW's typical and misguided accountants-before-game-designers confidence. Like Mordheim meets Dreadfleet. Charging more for each figure (raising their skirmish-prices-for-mass-battles for an actual skirmish) would only be the start. A few dozen utterly random stages that invalidate any sneaky move you might plan and reduce the game to an exercise in "who gets closest to six on a die?", might show their face too.

But

We'll see.

(What's blisterhammer?)

Sort of like inq28, it's a way of playing with the core 40k rules as a skirmish system that me and y group play.named for the new plastic character blisters since the idea was that a couple of those and 2 or 3 troopers/spec weapons would be your force. i think i posted a really rough sketch out of the basic play sequence a while back but it has since developed into something actually playable.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #2321 on: December 01, 2014, 01:47:22 AM »
sorry for the double post, but i'm here to post this £500 hunk of resin.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2322 on: December 01, 2014, 06:19:09 AM »
£500, for the size it is meant to be that is probably accurate but I'd be interested in seeing it in scale to another mini. Oops just spotted bilbo. Definitely been scaled down but still large and menacing. I'll keep my £500. Can't wait to see how much it is for us southerners.  ::)

Online Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2323 on: December 01, 2014, 08:24:56 AM »
Ouch. bit more than $500 US then.

I will spend my xmas money somewhere else and leave the Smaug the Wyvern on the shop shelf.

Oh hang on, I was doing that anyway  :D

And that Bilbo looks integral to the base... is he 28mm scale or?

Need something we know the size of next to it...?

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #2324 on: December 01, 2014, 08:29:08 AM »
If it's Bilbo, wouldn't it be 15mm?
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman