Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:44:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694101
  • Total Topics: 118580
  • Online Today: 600
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: British museum exhibition!  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
British museum exhibition!
« on: March 12, 2024, 05:51:32 PM »
Just went to see the British Museum’s new exhibition (Legion: life in the Roman Army) and found it extremely informative- there were some real treasures there, including the only surviving scutum, a full set of Sassanid horse armour, and a whole collection of beautiful parade helms with sculpted faces.
Given the focus on ancient military history, I was wondering who else had seen the exhibition, and what your thoughts were :D

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: British museum exhibition!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 05:59:12 PM »
As a member of the British Museum I've been twice, and thought it excellent. As you said some items that I never thought I would see except in a book, and a good narrative into the bargain. I was very interested in the Roman Dice Tower which was apparently introduced to minimise the opportunity for cheating.

Recommended.

Offline Rickf

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 10:41:40 PM »
Off to London in May, not convinced it's worth over £40 for me and the wife to go and pay to see an exhibition in a free museum.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 03:28:40 PM by Rickf »

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 01:19:25 AM »
Off to London in May, not convinced it's worth over £40 for me and the wife to go and pay to see an exhibition in a free Muslim.

As an American who visited it, I cannot speak about this exhibit, but the museum itself is awesome.  It is certainly up there with the Smithsonian and the Deutsches Museum in Munich.  A testament to the British ability to loot the snot out of every place they've ever been.

We loved it, absolutely fascinating to see so much world history in one place.'
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 05:47:48 AM »
Ricki. I don't want to hijack this thread into arguments about paying for "Culture", or what the UK Government should spend its tax ££s on....although beefing up are rather thin armed forces would be a good start! However compared to other cultural experiences that last as long such as a show , football match or trip to a NT or English Heritage property, its roughly the same price or less. Paying for it is also a way of controlling the number of visitors albeit when I went it was still pretty crowded. If you like Romans I can also recommend visiting the Roman Mithraeum under the Bloomberg Building and the Amphitheatre under the Guildhall. Both of these are free but best to book!         

Offline Rickf

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 03:31:14 PM »
Cheers, I'll take a look at those. Agree about the funding of culture, it's just every trip to London is like hemorrhaging money, people charge a fortune for everything.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 06:34:27 PM »
Yep, London can be a pricey day out. Last week I visited the Roman Army exhibition plus HMS Belfast. As an IWM volunteer I got in free but I think a mate sure little change out of £100 for the two museums and his train fare.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 08:00:17 PM »
If something is not part of a museum or gallery's standing collection, then you expect to pay to visit that exhibition even if entry to the museum or gallery itself is usually free. Covers costs associated with the loan of items etc. That's pretty much true of anywhere you visit on the planet.

That said, my grandmother took me to see the Tutankhamun exhibition at the BM when I was a lad. In 1972 the entry was 50p. I doubt that adjusted for inflation 50p works out at anywhere near forty quid in today's money.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 08:31:48 PM »
Carlos, understood, and I'm not complaining. Some of the BM's special exhibitions have been a bit hit and miss....the Viking one was pretty poor IMHO....but the Assyrian one was superb as is is this one.   

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2024, 09:20:11 PM »
Another reason to miss London... should have taken the students there too...
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2024, 09:33:31 PM »
Kind of insane to think that of all the scuta used by centuries (and Centuries  lol) of legionaries, there's literally only one surviving example that we know of?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2024, 07:18:24 PM »
I’m just glad that we got any still around today, to be honest! 2000 years is a loooong time for stuff to get broken or melted down.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2024, 09:15:45 PM »
This is why when you die, you need to insist on having a portion of your miniatures collection buried with you. In 2000 years archaeologists and scholars will be fiercely debating the significance of these grave goods and what particular cult informed their worship and hence inclusion in the grave.

Offline Cholmondely Percival IV

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2024, 10:07:29 PM »
Surely the great god Geedubyoo will be worshipped by all, and any signs of his erstwhile rivals condemned as signs of heresy?

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2024, 04:12:13 PM »
Kind of insane to think that of all the scuta used by centuries (and Centuries  lol) of legionaries, there's literally only one surviving example that we know of?

Actually there are two. The Dura shield and the Fayum shield, the latter is a later republican oval scutum. Here lays the issue, to preserve scuta made largely of wood and glue you need specific conditions.

By the way I saw the British Museum web page on the exhibition it is awesome, the Dura Scutum and horse armor, and almost complete Segmentata from Kalkriese... how I miss having the British Museum just two minute walk from home...