Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 10:58:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10482
  • Latest: Veroo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694410
  • Total Topics: 118605
  • Online Today: 655
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Appeal of "Very" Civil War games  (Read 15767 times)

Offline paul c

• Bookworm
Re: Appeal of "Very" Civil War games
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 10:31:06 PM »
I'd be the last person, I hope, to have anything to do with VBCW, if it was pro-Mosley. It ain't, don't worry.
"For we went, changing our country more often than our shoes.
In the class war, despairing
When there was only injustice and no resistance." B. Brecht

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 10:39:29 PM »
I'd be the last person, I hope, to have anything to do with VBCW, if it was pro-Mosley. It ain't, don't worry.

Likewise. They also seem to be an unpopular faction to game with, folks tend to go for the 'Royalists'. That being said, every scenario needs its bad guys and let's face it, we wouldn't tar every WW2 gamer that fields an SS force as a Nazi.

I can't say I subscribe to the BUF being a major player either personally. While I can see a pseudo-fascist conservative government in power, the BUF were never, even at their peak, popular enough to gain the support sufficient for their role in VBCW. I'd also prefer to do what others have done and use the Musketeer figures for a 'Sealion' scenario too, with the 'Militia' figures as un-uniformed LDV and the BUF figures as collaborating auxiliaries (there would be some sell-outs after all if we're honest). I also have to admit that I'd prefer a Britain versus France scenario for the late '30s in any case.

If I want a setting for Vickers Medium tanks, there's the crisis over the Italian invasion of Ethiopia, to provide me with a vaguely likely prospect and then you get to field cool looking Italian Askari.

Yes, while writing the piece on Egypt I discovered that the Italians had managed to move ten divisions up to the Libyan/Egyptian Border just in case Britain reacted unfavourably to their invasion of Abyssinia. The British were oblivious to this.

By the by, motorcycles saw quite a lot of service in the UK in 1940. There was a least one entire battalion so equipped with the BEF.

There were in theory two, but one ended up without their motorcycles due to a mix-up. The BEF had withdrawn from the continent before they were re-united with them.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:43:03 PM by Jim Hale »

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 10:49:18 PM »
Its funny that a faction, like the SS, is in someway considered cool due to the pure evilness (no, I won't start a debate about the SS and bla bla), and of course, the black uniforms and tight boots.
However, noone wishes to play them as they might be taken for being a nazi. Can't really say that people get blamed for being communists when the choose to paint and collect a red force for the RCW.

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2010, 10:50:55 PM »
If I ever include any 'bad guys', it'll be Roderick Spode and his fantastic Black Shorts, not Mosley and his Black Shirts.  lol

I do like the miniatures for the BUF, though. Although that's like people admiring the Germans from WW2 and the Empire from Star Wars for their style. They're evil, but damn, they look snazzy.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2010, 11:19:35 PM »
For the record, I haven't and I'm not suggesting that fielding the BUF suggests their owner harbours fascist sympathies,.I think former ownership of a certain range of 28mm Elizabethan miniatures is the only reliable guide to that these days or so I'm told.  ;)

Yes, we are all fond of fielding baddies in our games and we all turn a blind eye to some of the horrors of our lead heroes historical prototypes. I must say I've yet to see any RCW enthusiast getting partiularly tumescent over the ragbag uniforms and mix and match kit of the average Bolshevik, quite unlike some gamers I have seen who get all misty eyed at the mention of runes, peadot smocks and Tiger tanks.

Matter of taste and for me Oswald, Unity Mitford & Co don't appeal. I remember passing a very pleasant afternoon  some years ago talking to an elderly lady who described beating up blackshirts in Cable Street and then to my great amusement she confessed to having danced with William Joyce on another occasion.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 06:41:15 AM »
If I ever include any 'bad guys', it'll be Roderick Spode and his fantastic Black Shorts,

Definitely!

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 08:21:50 AM »
We just did a game with American "Nationalists" (Fascists), against American Communists, with me fielding the communists.

As far as I am concerned, if this were a real war, every casualty would be a win for America.

The problem for gamers it is hard to get modivated to paint a force for  moderation.  The radicals are easier to see what they are fighting for, even if you don't agree politically.

In the ACW2 games the factions belong to one of 3 movements, the Communists, the Nationalists or the "Constitutionalists."  The later are moderates or otherwise simply oppose the estremist views of the other movements.    It is hard to come up with slogans for them, ,,,,

EXTREME MODERATION!!!

DEATH TO ZEALOTRY!!!

See what I mean.

Oh and happy Independance day to my fellow Americans.
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 08:29:33 AM »
the only thing that is keeping me from getting really big into  American Civil war 2 is waiting for the book. Once it is out I can get the other guys in my group interested.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2010, 09:13:21 AM »
In the ACW2 games the factions belong to one of 3 movements, the Communists, the Nationalists or the "Constitutionalists."  The later are moderates or otherwise simply oppose the estremist views of the other movements.    It is hard to come up with slogans for them, ,,,,

EXTREME MODERATION!!!

DEATH TO ZEALOTRY!!!

See what I mean.

How about; 'To Each His Own'  'Life, Liberty & Freedom'  'Democracy, Liberty & Progress' 'Fascism is not Patriotism' '1st Amendment'
 :)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2010, 10:16:54 AM »
You are missing ' I Hunt and I Vote' and 'I'm With Stupid'.  The other side is a bit trickier. Try painting 'This Machine Kills Fascists' on a 28mm guitar. ;)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2010, 10:26:19 AM »
How about; 'To Each His Own'  'Life, Liberty & Freedom'  'Democracy, Liberty & Progress' 'Fascism is not Patriotism' '1st Amendment'

Thanks, I was trying to think of slogans to put up, these will come in handy.

Offline eastern barbarian

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2010, 01:54:41 PM »
Just to come back to original subject for a moment- every game needs baddies as most of you observed, actually in our VBCW group few of us are militant anti-fascists and others are definitely of anti-fascists sympathies, however they still play BUF, simply because we see them fitting in that game perfectly. Just like playing SS or other German troops in WWII... Would BUF be playing minor role in that kind of alternative history? I am afraid they would be playing very big role, with lots of people joining them because they would be in power (never underestimate cowardice of people) and also lets be honest, fascism has tremendous growing potential and rises its ugly head very quickly.

I just love that game, even though I am not British.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2010, 09:21:10 PM »
Just to come back to original subject for a moment- every game needs baddies as most of you observed, actually in our VBCW group few of us are militant anti-fascists and others are definitely of anti-fascists sympathies, however they still play BUF, simply because we see them fitting in that game perfectly. Just like playing SS or other German troops in WWII... Would BUF be playing minor role in that kind of alternative history? I am afraid they would be playing very big role, with lots of people joining them because they would be in power (never underestimate cowardice of people) and also lets be honest, fascism has tremendous growing potential and rises its ugly head very quickly.

I just love that game, even though I am not British.
Right for a while it looked like all of Europe was going over to Fascism. It defiantly has its appeal. Lots of groups I have noticed were built on national or ethnic pride and that can be a powerful thing.
Also lets not forget They usually have the best uniforms :P

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2010, 09:50:21 PM »

"We shall sacrifice our lives at the Altar of Moderation!"

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2010, 09:59:26 PM »
LOL  lol