Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:26:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694139
  • Total Topics: 118582
  • Online Today: 639
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: [KICKSTARTER] ARNHEM HEROES PART 2. 4th May 2024 PG.15 It's Live!  (Read 35299 times)

Offline .:Gunslinger:.

• Scientist
Re: [KICKSTARTER] ARNHEM HEROES PART 2. 4th May 2024 PG.15 It's Live!
« Reply #225 on: May 08, 2024, 02:46:12 PM »
I would think so, the radio jeep is more expensive than the recon ones. But might be worth asking on KS as well so that they can update the text.

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #226 on: May 08, 2024, 03:36:08 PM »
Hi Ash

The Jeep trailer doesn't come with the Radio Jeep. It's an absolute beast.

All the best

Paul

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #227 on: May 08, 2024, 05:36:25 PM »
Hi Ash

The Jeep trailer doesn't come with the Radio Jeep. It's an absolute beast.

All the best

Paul

I just had another look and found it , I'd swear that wasn't there prior to my previous question..!
I hadn't realised it was the same size as the covered trailer (great looking figure as well), understandable that it's not coming with the jeep. Although as Gunslinger noted the Radio jeep is a different price point, does it have any bits not in the pictures?

Also whilst in query mode; are there any stowage bits with the recce jeeps (bonnet ammo boxes, jerry cans, tools for the front bumper), or would adding another RD14 Stowage pack from the first KS be the way forward?

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #228 on: May 09, 2024, 01:31:28 PM »
Hi Ash

The radio Jeep does come with a lot of extra equipment compared to the Recce Jeeps. I'll tey and dig out some pictures for you.

Paul

Offline Ingarsby73

• Bookworm
« Reply #229 on: May 10, 2024, 06:58:25 AM »
Personally I'd go 1/56. These guys are true 28mm to the eye, so 1/48 would be huge and 1/64 too small.

Thanks Cubs.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #230 on: May 10, 2024, 05:58:50 PM »
Just put in my pledge.   Between this KS and KS1, I'm set for another full platoon of British Paras... 8)
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #231 on: May 11, 2024, 12:20:15 PM »
Nice image of the radio trailer

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #232 on: May 14, 2024, 11:49:56 AM »
DUTCH RESISTANCE.

The Dutch resistance were much maligned during Market Garden primarily due to concerns by British intelligence who were concerned that they had been infiltrated by German spies.

However during the operation they proved very useful at providing intelligence during the operation as well as helping with communication. After the operation ended in Arnhem many members of airborne forces were able to evade capture. Dutch intelligence helped hide and move to safety many of these evaders.

In recent times research into the Dutch Resistance has shown them to have been probably one of the best organised resistance movements in Europe.

There is already one special figure but we felt we needed to add some more to the Kickstarter. Therefore please check the Kickstarter for these special figures. Hurry as we are fast approaching the end of Arnhem Heroes Kickstarter #2
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 12:15:30 PM by M Blakey »

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #233 on: May 14, 2024, 12:12:51 PM »

Brigadier Gerald Lathbury.

Commanded 1st Parachute Brigade.

Famously wounded in the leg and spine he was captured but passed himself off as a Lance Corporal and managed to escape.

Beautifully summed up in this quote from Dan Francis.

“He was a most interesting man endowed with much wisdom – no doubt due to the fact that in the painting of his life he had covered such a broad canvas. I like to think of the four and a half years he spent soldiering in West Africa before the war – of his days as Commander-in-Chief in Kenya…of his sense of the honour done to him on his appointment as Colonel of both the West India Regiment and later the Jamaica Regiment. Being a very human and discerning man I remember how much he enjoyed their good Jamaican cigars…I see on that canvas – his life in the Second World War…A parachute Brigade Commander in North Africa, Sicily and Arnhem, whilst, although, badly wounded he hobbled out of hospital and escaped. A fighting soldier and formidable parachute commander.”

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #234 on: May 14, 2024, 12:14:55 PM »
Lt Colonel Richard Lonsdale.

One of the famous commanders of the battle for Arnhem who strangely gets forgotton.

The C-47 Dakota in which Lonsdale was travelling was hit by German anti-aircraft fire, damaging it and also wounding Londsdale in his right hand; he was delayed in exiting the aircraft when the two men either side of him refused to jump, which meant they had to be unhooked before he and the rest of his stick could jump out of the aircraft. Upon landing, Lonsdale found that his wound was bleeding considerably, and his orderly had to bandage up his hand.

Lonsdale Force

In the early hours of the morning of 19 September, an attack was launched on a narrow front between the river and the railway line, in order to force a passage through to the bridge. However, in the face of strong enemy positions and armour, the attack faltered and the British routed. The remnants of the four battalions fell back in disarray to the main divisional positions at Oosterbeek. Here they were met by Lieutenant Colonel Sheriff Thompson, CO of the 1st Airlanding Light Regiment, who drove a little over half a mile forward of his own 75 Millimetre Howitzers positions at Oosterbeek Church, and ordered Major Robert Cain to gather the men into defensive units. Thompson asked Brigadier Pip Hicks, commanding the 1st Airlanding Brigade of the division, for more men and officers, and was sent Lonsdale and Major Simmons. While Simmons organised defences at the church, Thompson sent Lonsdale forward to take charge of the outlying force. This sector was officially designated Thompson Force in a divisional meeting the following day.

On 20 September, the Germans launched a series of increasingly heavy attacks against Lonsdale's men. Although in an isolated position they held their ground throughout the day and Lance Sergeant John Baskeyfield was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross (VC) for his actions on the main road into Oosterbeek. By the afternoon the mixed force was so weakened that Hicks gave Thompson permission to pull them back to the main divisional defence line at the church. German flamethrowers and tank fire had set fire to buildings and the surrounding woodland and the British withdrew under intense fire. Lonsdale ordered the men who had fallen back to gather and rest in the church, and it was here that he gave a speech to rouse his exhausted and dispirited men. Standing with a sling around his injured arm, a blood-stained bandage covering his three head wounds and a bandage on his leg, Lonsdale climbed into the pulpit:

You know as well as I do there are a lot of bloody Germans coming at us. Well, all we can do is to stay here and hang on in the hope that somebody catches us up. We must fight for our lives and stick together. We've fought the Germans before - in North Africa, Sicily, Italy. They weren't good enough for us then, and they're bloody well not good enough for us now. They're up against the finest soldiers in the world. An hour from now you will take up defensive positions north of the road outside. Make certain you dig in well and that your weapons and ammo are in good order. We are getting short of ammo, so when you shoot you shoot to kill. Good luck to you all.

Although many of the men were asleep, the speech put new strength and hope into the men who heard it. Lonsdale took command of the parachute battalions in the sector, while Thompson took charge of the artillery, South Staffords and Glider pilots. However, on 21 September Thompson was injured by mortar fire and Lonsdale took overall command of the sector, which was renamed Lonsdale Force. For several days they fought off determined German attacks in their sector, usually minor infantry encounters. On many mornings Royal Artillery units from XXX Corps, south of the river, laid barrages just forward of the force's positions to disrupt any enemy buildups, on one occasion accidentally shelling their own men. On the morning of Monday 25 September, Urquhart agreed to withdraw his division south of the river, but he would have to wait until nightfall.[36] It was on this day that the Germans made their most significant gains, breaking through the British perimeter at the northern end of Lonsdale Force's sector and sweeping south to the South Staffords positions. The German forces succeeded in overrunning several artillery positions before being forced back. The 1st Airborne withdrew that night, although Lonsdale force were amongst the last to fall back to the river after waiting for the units further north to fall back past them. Nevertheless, they were at the back of the queues to cross the river and many men were left behind.[38] Lonsdale saw as many men over as possible before he left. No boats were running by the time he came to leave and so he swam the river, a task made more difficult by his injuries.

For his conduct during the battle, Lonsdale was awarded a Bar to the DSO on 9 November 1944.

His citation read:

At Arnhem on the 20th September, this officer, although wounded in the hand and arm, was given command of the remnants of three Parachute Battalions who had withdrawn from the town. This detachment, about 400 strong, was allotted the task of holding part of the divisional perimeter.

Major Lonsdale so organised and inspired those under him that in spite of repeated attacks by enemy infantry, tanks and self-propelled guns, the positions taken up were subsequently held until the remains of the division withdrew over the River Lek. Throughout this period of six days the positions were continually mortared and shelled.

Major Lonsdale, although again wounded, organised several counter-attacks to regain ground temporarily lost and his personal example and supreme contempt of danger was an inspiration to all those with whom he came in contact.

In 1945 several hundred survivors from the battle had the opportunity to take part in the film Theirs is the Glory, recounting the events at Arnhem. Lonsdale portrayed himself in the film, and once again delivered his rousing speech in the church.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #235 on: May 14, 2024, 05:39:00 PM »
Hmm.  I may have to go back in and amend by pledge.  Thoe partisans look good, as does his Brigadier-ness....besides, how can you go wrong with a man who appreciates good cigars?

Offline .:Gunslinger:.

• Scientist
« Reply #236 on: May 14, 2024, 07:36:39 PM »
These are so incredibly good, especially the Dutch resistance...I held on until now, but I have to get those (and while we are at it some other things)!
Here's fingers crossed for one more set of Resistance, they have so much character and I have been waiting for years for some good WW2 Resistance  :-*

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #237 on: May 14, 2024, 08:38:30 PM »
These are so incredibly good, especially the Dutch resistance...I held on until now, but I have to get those (and while we are at it some other things)!
Here's fingers crossed for one more set of Resistance, they have so much character and I have been waiting for years for some good WW2 Resistance  :-*

I'm really hoping we see a second set of dutch resistance as these are just phenomenal.

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
« Reply #238 on: May 15, 2024, 07:21:36 AM »
Was also hoping for second set of resistance so fingers crossed

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #239 on: May 15, 2024, 07:41:09 AM »

"We've fought the Germans before - in North Africa, Sicily, Italy. They weren't good enough for us then, and they're bloody well not good enough for us now!"

:)

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"