Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 10:26:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692255
  • Total Topics: 118449
  • Online Today: 674
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord (Pro-gloria) plastic Landsknechte  (Read 79021 times)

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Scientist
Re: Warlord (Pro-gloria) plastic Landsknechte
« Reply #240 on: July 08, 2017, 10:44:29 AM »
Tis early days yet lads...

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #241 on: July 08, 2017, 11:26:22 AM »
I wouldn't be suprised to see advancing pike in metal as well as dopplesoldners(sp?) and other variants.

Actually, Warlord has already offered for a while a pack of advancing pikemen (with pikes at 45 degree angle) and a matching command set. And you can also get a regiment deal of 28 models combining three pikemen packs and a command pack.

There is also a pack of metal arquebusiers, though no halberdiers or zweihanders.

As for Warlord putting out another plastic kit, I would not hold my breath, unless this first one ends up selling extremely well.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #242 on: July 08, 2017, 11:37:49 AM »
There is an alarming trend for oversimplifyng plastic figure kits these days.

First Gripping Beast, then Fireforge and now Warlord as well.

I mean come one. Basically 50% of that sprue is rubbish, wtf? More casting channels weren't possible?

Lmfao.

Same with those Napoleon Brit cavalry sets. They could have easily made a hybrid kit, saving tooling time and material cost, while putting the same stuff in  just on sprue of the original size.

Did Renedra hire some new inexperienced staff or have those wargaming companies become popular enough to become evil?

Guess we have to clone the perrys eventually or start playing GW systems again. We live in interesting times, folks.

Cheers,

Jerekin

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe recent efforts by GW have spoiled me, But it just seems like so much of that sprue is empty!
It reminds me of a GW sprue from 15 years ago.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #243 on: July 08, 2017, 01:10:41 PM »
The Warlord release is much nicer than I expected. I will have to pick up a few boxes. They look very compatible with the Perry boxes.

As for Victrix, one needs to look at their full body of work, not the individual releases. Their lastest release of Hellenestic heavy cavalry can be used as early Greek, Alexandrian, or Successor HC with lance, spear, or javelins. The three figure sprue has 11 heads, and three each of two different shields (flat or rounded).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 01:23:16 PM by delbruck »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #244 on: July 08, 2017, 02:17:39 PM »
Actually, Warlord has already offered for a while a pack of advancing pikemen (with pikes at 45 degree angle) and a matching command set. And you can also get a regiment deal of 28 models combining three pikemen packs and a command pack.

There is also a pack of metal arquebusiers, though no halberdiers or zweihanders.

As for Warlord putting out another plastic kit, I would not hold my breath, unless this first one ends up selling extremely well.
Well look at that- so they do! :D

I agree on Warlord releasing another Landsknecht plastic kit- it strikes me as very unlikely.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #245 on: July 08, 2017, 02:37:40 PM »
It might be the photo but are those pikes a bit short?
Gamers prefer ahistorically and unrealistically scaled pikes...

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #246 on: July 08, 2017, 02:41:27 PM »

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe recent efforts by GW have spoiled me, But it just seems like so much of that sprue is empty!
It reminds me of a GW sprue from 15 years ago.

Recent efforts by GW have soured me, like the Empire infantry. Fewer figures on a sprue and a ton of shit bits, like powder monkeys...

The multi-part Empire infantry from ~1999 and the Perry Continental Mercenaries are the propre way to do 'em...

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #247 on: July 08, 2017, 02:48:49 PM »
As well as the existing metal advancing Landsknecht...

https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/landsknecht/products/landsknecht-pike-advancing

There are metal arquebusiers as well.

https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/landsknecht/products/landsknecht-arquebusiers

Though of course it would have been great to have more stuff in this plastic box, I think using it for just the bulk of a unit with weapons shouldered, and using the metal packs for the front ranks and arquebusiers would be pretty effective.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #248 on: July 08, 2017, 03:15:07 PM »

There's something off about these figures compared with the better metals...

IIRC, the same guy who did the plastic Empire State Troops worked on this and it shows: details like feathers and ahistoric clothing combinations. Daniel S had critiqued the 3-ups on TMP a few years ago, but those interested won't care, as these are plastic.  

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #249 on: July 08, 2017, 03:42:09 PM »
There's nothing wrong with these figures. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess
\"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.\"

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #250 on: July 08, 2017, 05:25:59 PM »
There's nothing wrong with these figures. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess
It's why I said: "as these are plastic."

Notice the fake feathers?  

Don't take my word on it: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=358853

Quote from: Daniel S
The design of the landsknecht clothes is frequently odd as well, a jumble of design styles from diffrent perods mixed in with some rather odd choices. For example the use of narrow undecorated sleeve on the Vams while the hose have extensive slashing and elaborate details. You simply do not find such combintions in the sources. Front opening Vams existed but are very much a minority in the source material, landsknechts and swiss both prefered the side closed design. And so on…
To be fair to Warlord, I see neither figures with an open doublet and the one a doublet that's split down the middle, so maybe they paid attention, but some of the hose looks too elaborate when compared with the some of the arms.

Excluding the feathers, the above shows what could be achieved when paying attention to period appropriate details, but the average gamer who spent $29 + shipping on a set isn't going care, so will assemble them using all the pike arms and bodies, resulting in a fantasy landsknecht, complete with one pistol packing guy. Pro Gloria's landsknehcts are suitable for the 1525 and later period, with some of their metals wearing pluderhosen, so a box covering a period ~1500-1530s, is like releasing multi-part German infantry suitable for WWI and II, since they're in stahlhelm.

I could use this set for kitbashing, so would appreciate someone putting up comparison pics with Perry Continental Mercenaries and possibly even Perry sculpted Empire infantry from the late 1990s...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:36:35 PM by Condottiere »

Offline bluechi

• Librarian
« Reply #251 on: July 08, 2017, 06:13:52 PM »
A normal warlord box....

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #252 on: July 08, 2017, 09:54:45 PM »
I really like them. I want a huge army of them. So for me they are well suited to bulk out the rank and file. If I only needed 20 it would have been nice with lots of options for hats, weapons and bags. But for 100+ customization is not as important to me.

INTERESTING!!!

Personally I was hoping for a bit more kitbashing with more different bodyposes.

Still I'm getting a box as well as some Perry mercs to see where it goes.

Erik

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #253 on: July 09, 2017, 10:28:55 AM »
Indeed I think they are brilliant and it's amusing that all the positive comments before have turned sour for no reason other that it being Standard Operating Procedure for the fickle audience of LAF.

But if they don't want them for the daft stupid reasons so far listed I'm more than happy to let the sour old goats buy me a box each

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Scientist
« Reply #254 on: July 09, 2017, 11:51:39 AM »
James I think some of the problem was that so much was promised by the original company and any landsknecht and renaissance figures are up against the cult of the Perry's.

Personally I find quite a lot of the Perry figures boring and wooden but that is just a personal view.