Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 01:13:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692398
  • Total Topics: 118457
  • Online Today: 597
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Journey into Fear - Doomhippie and Vikotnik Trippin' back to Homlet  (Read 15088 times)

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
Re: Journey into Fear - Doomhippie and Vikotnik Trippin' back to Homlet
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2013, 05:02:14 PM »
The greens do break things up and the building give us a good hint of what is to come. Adding some different hues of green and some tufts and maybe some buffalo grass will blend those together I reckon.

I'm a wee bit jealous of your weather as we've seen little sun this year. I hope your countrymen down South find some relief soon from the flooding.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2013, 05:26:35 PM »

While I was looking at it I remembered that Karsten and me originally had the weird idea of creating the same table twice: one for daytime adventuring and one more in blues and greys for nighttime encounters. However, as great as the idea sounded in the beginning there are some serious disadvantages to it. It would mean having to paint the exact same buildings and trees in "nighttime" colors. Not to mention all the miniatures.Plus it would mean we could only play nighttime adventures at one place and daytime adventures at the other place. So best let sleeping dogs lie.

Just turn the lights down low...  ;)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »
That table looks great great with the scenery on it.
It brings to mind the work you have done on your LotR set-ups.
 :-*

As for night effects, I did considering doing my Mordor Orc force in a similar way, but thought that they would not work when arrayed against the forces of Gondor on the same table.

^^^
This is a much better idea!
 :D

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2013, 10:54:20 PM »
Looking very good. I agree there needs to be some breaking up of the edges - but the size of the areas look good (a nice little village).

Regarding a night time table - has anyone here tried swapping their normal globes for blue coloured ones?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2013, 11:57:24 PM »
While I was looking at it I remembered that Karsten and me originally had the weird idea of creating the same table twice: one for daytime adventuring and one more in blues and greys for nighttime encounters. However, as great as the idea sounded in the beginning there are some serious disadvantages to it. It would mean having to paint the exact same buildings and trees in "nighttime" colors. Not to mention all the miniatures.Plus it would mean we could only play nighttime adventures at one place and daytime adventures at the other place. So best let sleeping dogs lie.
Buy some sunglasses with extra dark tint ;)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2013, 07:08:10 AM »
Ooo, very nice  8) (see, dark glasses, it's the way to go).

For the grasses, do what OLeary suggest but I would add to that by rubbing the edges of the grass borders so some of it comes off and therefore should blend with the earth  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2013, 03:21:52 PM »

Our eyeball spots are on a dimmer switch, which we wanted to use for atmosphere. Unfortunately, the atmosphere it created was one in which is was hard to tell a d20 from a d6.

The Greens are looking good! They turn the brown into the background right away. I think with the ideas of blending and a couple more greens, it will knock your socks off. It certainly looks fantastic with the buildings on it!

Jevenkah

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2013, 03:32:40 PM »
A couple of great looking boards, there, guys.

Practical lessons in board building - with humour - love it.

RMZ

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2013, 03:41:08 PM »
Our eyeball spots are on a dimmer switch, which we wanted to use for atmosphere. Unfortunately, the atmosphere it created was one in which is was hard to tell a d20 from a d6.

There's an app for that  ;)

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
This is relly good keep it coming.

And now for some RPG history to answer your question...

In the early 80th when I grew up, RPG where introduced to Sweden thanks to a game called: Drakar och demoner. It was just more or less a translation of Basic Roleplaying game. Eventually the company made their own world called Ereb Altor. It was a well thought of classic fantasy world. As all Classic fantasy world there had to be country ruled by an evil necromancer. In Ereb Altor the evil necromancer was named....Vicotnik.   :D

...and the wicked necromancer. I have tried to come up with a proper evil-sounding name for him but failed so far. Any ideas?

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2013, 06:31:24 PM »
Wonderful painted miniatures so far. The tables are a bit "ordinary" to me when I consider the  big "bohai" you did in the trailer for this thread. Nice pictures of you guys  and Lars showed his ..."legen...." wait for it"...dary" finger.

;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:34:05 PM by Driscoles »
, ,

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2013, 12:00:20 PM »
Wonderful painted miniatures so far. The tables are a bit "ordinary" to me when I consider the  big "bohai" you did in the trailer for this thread. Nice pictures of you guys  and Lars showed his ..."legen...." wait for it"...dary" finger.

;)

Well , the tables are only ordinary to your eyes, you uncoth barbarian...  lol

No, you're absolutely right. But then part of the project is to celebrate the sheer fun of just doing it. Since we both want to play an ongoing campaign the table had to be flexible enought to put up all kinds of scenarios. Of course a highly detailed table (actually lots of different ones) would be so much cooler. I completely agree.

It's a gaming table not a showpiece. It is a [bored voice] "nice compromise between Looks and playability" as a very clever Person once said. Or as Andi Kleiner, may he rest in peace, once said: "Hey I'm painting my toys here. I'm not doing art!"

Enough chit-chat, there are some Otherworld adventureres crying for some attention...
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Welf VIII.

• Librarian
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2013, 07:25:08 PM »
there are some Otherworld adventureres crying for some attention...

Yes, paint! Quick, quick!

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
So today I managed to finish basing and taking a photo. This is a henchman from the Otherworld indiegogo-not-kickstarter-campaign that supposedly is or was only available to those having taken part in it. Honestly, this is my favourite miniature so far. A would-be adventurer, who was not successful enough so he has to hire on as a mule. Poor guy. He Looks really tired and his carrying frame is just cluttered with all kinds of things his new bosses need. He looks really good and was a joy to paint. A wonderfully sculped miniature.

I'm working on two more henchmen/hirelings at the moment. Might be some days though till I'm finished.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2013, 01:39:06 PM »
EXCELLENT WORK on a fine looking mini! The brushwork is SPLENDID; & I love your choice of colors...the striped trousers, neckerchief, & his hair color break up the more subdued colors nicely.
With the Beast of Burden as an example of things to come, I, for one, am looking forward to your progress with the project.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 02:36:14 PM by DeafNala »
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx