Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 07:38:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Domus Kits  (Read 2143 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Domus Kits
« on: May 30, 2016, 10:46:36 PM »
This might not be news but I stumbled across this site that offers some rather interesting terrain kits.

http://www.domuskits.com/

A whole range of scales, including some very odd ones but lots of 1/87 stuff as well as scales useful for 28mm gaming like 1/50 and 1/60.

They aren't cheap and I get the impression that they are real building kits in that they consist of ceramic bricks but some of these look very nice and there is some subject matter you don't commonly see in wargaming kits. Fr example:

http://domuskits.es/en/series/arquitecturapopular/catalogo.php?op=ser&id=5

and

http://domuskits.es/en/series/geography/catalogo.php?op=ser&id=14

The big hacienda and the 'Havana' house look great. It appears that there is a local stockist too. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has seen these in the flesh or built one.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
Re: Domus Kits
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 10:52:39 PM »
Ah just found a video build review. Plywood outlines/ formers and you clad with ceramic bricks. Interesting.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 10:21:58 AM »
"Con esta voz me estoy durmiendolol

I've seen these in the shops here and my thoughts are that they are attractive, if somewhat stylised, that is to say they give the impression of a building, but some of the features are exaggerated. The roof tiles seeming not proportionate to the overall scale being the most obvious anomaly to me. If you can live with that then providing the 50€-ish price tag is acceptable, you have a very attractive building.

They are kind of a luxury laser-cut building in essence. 

That being said the details like window frames and balustrades would be time-consuming to create yourself and still retain the 'baroque' and/or 'Spanish' styling. If they were available separately, then that would be really useful. Judging by the video though, some judicious filing of flash is still required.

I have to admit being tempted by a couple of them.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 08:38:41 PM »
"Con esta voz me estoy durmiendolol

Yes, I did get the impression that the narrator day job was doing voice overs for anti-depressant medications. To be fair though that seems the preferred style for such fare and at least it wasn't the 'the product comes in a cardboard box, I am now opening the box and you can see the parts are inside'. He did actually build it.

Roof tiles are something easily replaced with styrene tile sheets. Fifty euro is less than what you would pay for a 4 Ground kit and many of their competitors in Oz.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 10:22:36 PM »
Though it seems laborious, I found a few days back a tutorial about how to make bricks with air-drying clay. I saw a Facebook post where they made a tower using a Pringles can as a base and then gluing bricks like these onto it (with PVA glue). Once painted, the result was amazing.

Here's the tutorial: http://pietrasupietra.blogspot.com/2011/09/construccion-02-ladrillos-de-das.html (you can select the language of the page)

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 04:48:18 PM »
I guess they use artificial stone similar to thoses used by Aedes Ars (another kit manufacturer witha similar program). If I remember correctly at least one of them is also selling the bricks without a kit.
Far less active than I used to...

Offline Neotacha

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 03:24:21 PM »
I have one somewhere, partially (fully?) built and set aside.  Working with the little bricks is a bit fiddly and I'm rather too impatient -- I want results now!

I really should look for it and finish it up if it isn't done.  It's too big to game with, but still (IIRC) a pretty piece.