Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:18:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694101
  • Total Topics: 118580
  • Online Today: 600
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Play by Mail Wargames?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Play by Mail Wargames?
« on: May 06, 2024, 07:32:55 PM »
I have a question ... well, a couple of questions really ... for the collective here.

Background to this is I've been asked by a friend to sell her father's wargaming models, because he has Huntingdon's, which is a progressive disease that leaves him very tired and shaky and he hasn't the energy to attend gaming nights with his mates any more. It's a shame to get rid of all the old models, but he's moving house, doesn't want the clutter and wants to offload it all because he can barely hold the models any more anyway.

I was wondering if there are any simple wargames, I'm thinking of something like a big chess board really, where two players could each have a board, identically set up, and play turn by turn from their own homes with precisely measured moves, either online, by phone or even perhaps by mail. Then if they get tired or have to do something else, they can pause proceedings and then carry on later from the same point in the game.

The next question is, if there isn't, does the hive mind think it would be a worthwhile endeavour to try to make something like that? I've never done anything remotely like it before, but I feel it's a shame that age and infirmity can prevent someone from enjoying their games. In my head, Peter Dennis' paper models would be ideal, mounted on card bases. They look pretty, but would be easy to pick up and move for someone who has limited dexterity and a dropped base won't cause any harm.

It seems worthwhile from a caring perspective, but would it be popular?
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
Re: Play by Mail Wargames?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 08:50:36 PM »
Hi Cubs,

For rules there are these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Wargame-Bob-Cordery/dp/1326904582

Which fit the chessboard premise I think?

Good luck and you are being most thoughtful.

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 09:23:32 PM »
Certainly feasible,and applaudable.

I think if using the dice roller software on a VASSAL/Cyberboard pbem modules (which are not hard to make for something like this), then just about any set of rules with Igo/ugo turns can be done.  I have played DBA that way as well as big 18th century naval games on VASSAL or Cyberboard. IIRC there is still some online server for DBA but it has been years since i last visited it.

You can also use the online message server, ACTs, from Warhorse Sims for dice rolls and other message functions, and thus do away even with the vassal module.  I would think small skirmish games with minimal facing rules would be the easiest to handle.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 09:31:01 PM by Aethelflaeda was framed »
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline warwell

• Assistant
    • Warwell's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 10:07:40 PM »
My initial thought is the Command & Colors series.
https://www.commandsandcolors.net/

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 11:05:40 PM »
Rather than the full set of Portable Wargames rules, I would head to the early site at http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~warden/portable_wargame/ and you will see chess boards used with downloadable rules.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 01:48:19 AM »
There is the old game Feudal. It plays like chess. Not that many pieces.
I believe that would work.

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 07:25:10 AM »
I’ve played naval games by mail, with people taking navies of countries and their actions plotted on a ‘master map’ by an umpire, who also played out encounters and reported back results.
Don’t know if such still run in these electronic media days.Have you thought about map games in general?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2024, 07:34:34 AM »
All good ideas guys, thanks, I will investigate. One of the big issues is that like many of the older generation, he is computer illiterate (I barely get by myself) and anything computer-based is out. He likes his real stuff with real dice. I don't know if he would be able to handle even such cutting edge technology as email, but it gives options.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2024, 10:58:03 AM »
Well, the first thing that came to my mind was the Lionheart board game from the nineties. I bought it years ago to play with my little girl, as the rules are very simple, it has a playing board with squares, but it's still played with plastic miniatures representing a range of different units.

About 5 years ago, a complete box went as cheap as chips, so getting two would be easy (I assume; haven't checked current prices). Simply add numbers and letters to the sides of the board, and you can actually move units from E4 to C4 by mail, email, SMS or What's App. And dice rolling can be done with a dedicated app or blind trust.

It might be too simple for your purpose, but it does tick all of the boxes...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2024, 12:28:11 PM »
That looks cool. That's a possibility. I'm also reminded of other people who never really recovered from lockdown and who gave up going out a lot. This could be a great way to get the gaming fix on a table with actual miniatures and not leave the house.

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2024, 12:54:28 PM »
Looks the same miniatures as ‘Battlemasters’.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2024, 01:22:47 PM »
Looks the same miniatures as ‘Battlemasters’.

You'd say that, yeah. But I have both and the minis are actually different sculpts. They're obviously meant to be similar though...

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2024, 09:34:39 PM »
Might be worth a look at the Mike Lambo series of book games
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BCNRBWSK/?coliid=I3LTXDUYH76S4T&colid=6QRCXCN1FINR

These play on a grid, they are designed to be solo, and the maps and counters come in the book - but could easily be upgraded to play with figures.

Offline Khusru2

• Librarian
    • Travels with Khusru
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2024, 07:22:23 AM »
Playing over Zoom, where he only has to give orders/instructions may be more beneficial.
There is also that interactive gaming table, but it's more rpg style.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2024, 09:29:47 PM »
All good ideas guys, thanks, I will investigate. One of the big issues is that like many of the older generation, he is computer illiterate (I barely get by myself) and anything computer-based is out. He likes his real stuff with real dice. I don't know if he would be able to handle even such cutting edge technology as email, but it gives options.

Tablets are way easier than even a Chromebook - easy to set up and show how to read new mail and hit reply. Barclays have a great support group locally (they do not have a banking branch here but teach folk computer skills under their Digital Wings offering?!?) and the local library here organise education sessions for all ages. They really helped my mum to use an iPad for mail and browsing as she would not let me help her (I just got the how do I fix it calls :D ) Age U.K. can also help and have teamed up with Vodafone and Curry's to loan tablets out.