Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:43:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694510
  • Total Topics: 118611
  • Online Today: 570
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 474
Total: 478

Recent

Author Topic: Campaldino wargaming  (Read 12525 times)

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
Re: Campaldino wargaming
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2024, 04:14:12 PM »
One of the key “Hero” of Campaldino was Corso Donati, a modern Catilina. After the battle, at the end of century he was the leader of black guelph (for the Pope without compromises) against the white guelph under Vieri de Cerchi, which included also Dante (see above the post on S.Piero sixth cavalry).

Guelphs leaders didn’t trust him and relegated him in the reserve with his Pistoia troops (he was Pistoia podesta) with Lucca contigent. In Garibaldi club we have represented this with two Pistoia basis (cavalry and foot) and two Lucca ones, plus his command base with a Pistoia standard bearer.

Lucca cavalry has been represented by 3 guelph knights belonging to Guinigi, Obizzi, Paruta

Pistoia has this 3 guelph family knights: Montemagni, Cancellieri  and Bellastri

Corso Donati himself has been represented dismounted, probably looking at the battle development (WIP).

He was ordered to remain back and , if the battle was going to be lost, cover the army retreat.

But in the topic moment, when the engulfed Ghibelline cavalry was going to receive the support by their running infantry, he said “that they come to hang me in Pistoia“.

And riding in front of his Pistoia and Lucca knights he galloped into the fight, surprising the Ghibelline knights on their flank and dividing them from the incoming infantry.

The Ghibelline reserve leaded by Guido Novello saw his charge and, thinking that the day was lost , quit. Corso Donati, nicknamed the Great Baron, got the day, even if… with still WIP bases (pictures are taken during rules amendments tests!!!

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2024, 11:35:01 PM »
Gorgeous work!

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2024, 06:06:53 PM »
Red pavesari unit is ompleted, represented by 2 bases (as the white one):

Offline Marco

• Schoolboy
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2024, 02:56:25 PM »
May i ask you the dimensions of the bases and what ruleset you have chose to use with this models?
I'm finding difficulty to give a proper base to the pavisiers unit since they should go in groups of three (shield bearer, crossbowman and pikeman).
Btw keep the good work, this models are standing!

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2024, 06:19:04 PM »
That latest unit is gorgeous. I really love how you've done the quilted jackets.

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2024, 08:58:22 PM »
That latest unit is gorgeous. I really love how you've done the quilted jackets.
Thanks they were painted in my club by a very talented friend, Eddy.

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2024, 09:05:39 PM »
May i ask you the dimensions of the bases and what ruleset you have chose to use with this models?
I'm finding difficulty to give a proper base to the pavisiers unit since they should go in groups of three (shield bearer, crossbowman and pikeman).
Btw keep the good work, this models are standing!
Ruleset is amended copy of sword & spear, see details for homerules in previous posts.
Infantry is based 6x4 cm 5 figures, pavesari are 6x6 cm 8 or 9 figures
Cavalry is based 3 figures 6x8 cm

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2024, 11:37:07 PM »
As always I am genuinely stunned by the quality of your painting. Please keep up the good work, oh wise one lol

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2024, 05:27:59 PM »
In this post it is depicted the Florentine cavalry for Sestiere “Porta del Duomo” door of the cathedral.
We have chosen three knights belonging to important Florentine families: Adimari, Marignolli and Tosinghi.

Adimari was a powerful family, in 1267 they had 19 chiefs and for this battle 22 years later we choose Talano degli Adimari, altough at Campaldino he had a marginal role and was among those who "stettono fermi" (stood still).

As the pennon colour for this sestiere is the only one unknown, we have given him a yellow and blue pennon, with the colour of his shield.(WIP)
Marignolli has a shield made by Mirliton,he was from an important family of the country, who had a castle out of the wall, in Marignolle, which gave the name to the family.

Tosinghi was another powerful family, which had dead and wounded knights in Campaldino.
Among these we choose Bindo del Baschiera dei Tosinghi, a knight who lost an eye due to a crossbow in 1261 during Fucecchio siege and died at Campaldino.

Ironically Tosinghi and Ademari, allied at Campaldino,  were fierce enemies during the fight between white and red guelphs in the following century.

Choice of Bindo was driven also by his beautiful shield!

All this and much more only in Genoa wargames club Garibaldi  ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 05:30:09 PM by giorgio »

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2024, 06:47:40 PM »
I’m very late to see this, but they look incredible! The rampant lion heraldry is stunning :-*

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2024, 11:55:10 PM »
Georgia, your friend Eddy is a master artist! These minis are so fabulous and the work on the heraldry is unbelievable. Thank you for sharing them and the story of this battle   :-* :-*
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline Zopenco

• Assistant
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2024, 03:58:32 PM »
One of the key “Hero” of Campaldino was Corso Donati, a modern Catilina. After the battle, at the end of century he was the leader of black guelph (for the Pope without compromises) against the white guelph under Vieri de Cerchi, which included also Dante (see above the post on S.Piero sixth cavalry).

Guelphs leaders didn’t trust him and relegated him in the reserve with his Pistoia troops (he was Pistoia podesta) with Lucca contigent.

Corso Donati himself has been represented dismounted, probably looking at the battle development (WIP).

He was ordered to remain back and , if the battle was going to be lost, cover the army retreat.

But in the topic moment, when the engulfed Ghibelline cavalry was going to receive the support by their running infantry, he said “that they come to hang me in Pistoia“.

And riding in front of his Pistoia and Lucca knights he galloped into the fight, surprising the Ghibelline knights on their flank and dividing them from the incoming infantry.

The Ghibelline reserve leaded by Guido Novello saw his charge and, thinking that the day was lost , quit. Corso Donati, nicknamed the Great Baron, got the day, even if… with still WIP bases (pictures are taken during rules amendments tests!!!

My favourite Donati is Buoso, the talking corpse in Puccini's Gianni Schicchi. Do you know his relation to this one?

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2024, 08:18:37 AM »
In Gianni Schicchi the character, the died  rich one,  was Buoso Donati "the old". He was uncle of Simone, Corso's father. So he was Corso's great uncle.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2024, 04:39:03 PM »
Red pavesari unit is ompleted, represented by 2 bases (as the white one):

These are quite lovely Georgio  :-* :-* :-*

Can you give us a rundown of the manufacturers of the miniatures on display please?

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2024, 06:08:31 PM »
More than 90% Mirliton.  Perfect for historical conformity of  italian period armies.