Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 12:39:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695916
  • Total Topics: 118728
  • Online Today: 330
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: One-Hour Skirmish Wargames  (Read 2396 times)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
One-Hour Skirmish Wargames
« on: January 12, 2024, 01:34:47 PM »
After decades of wargaming , I have finally found a set of rules that does it. Not too simplistic, Not too complicated, just fast and fun!

I have no connection with the publisher but these rules are just awesome and the good news is that they are now releasing another set:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-hour-Ancient-Medieval-Skirmish-Wargames/dp/1036110249?fbclid=IwAR0hlR9HuMHCBI-FwthwtiCEMEW0qYksL4HrzOsdVLFwW9hruCgA1BA9zzU

I just hope that John Lambshead keep adding to this great concept, covering more periods, more army lists, more scenarios  :)

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: One-Hour Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 03:59:30 PM »
Interesting. Are the rules in a similar format to Neil Thomas's One Hour Wargames - a few sets of period rules and  a whole range of scenarios?

I recall reading a somewhat sniffy review of this one when it came out (can't remember where). So it's good to hear a different perspective. We've been greatly enjoying To The Strongest recently, so a card-based skirmish game is especially intriguing. I might sling some Amazon credits at this one.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 06:01:35 AM »
Interesting. Are the rules in a similar format to Neil Thomas's One Hour Wargames - a few sets of period rules and  a whole range of scenarios?

I recall reading a somewhat sniffy review of this one when it came out (can't remember where). So it's good to hear a different perspective. We've been greatly enjoying To The Strongest recently, so a card-based skirmish game is especially intriguing. I might sling some Amazon credits at this one.

I do not own the OHW rules but the reviews I have seen indicate that they are less sophisticated than OHSW which use the number of cards you can draw to facilitate marksmanship etc. Still no bookkeeping to speak of and no need to endless consult tables of modifiers. More focus on the tactical decisions rather that getting the last decimal right.The rules are still based on rationals regarding probabilities which the author discuss in the introduction.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 01:56:06 PM by traveller »

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 07:58:33 AM »
Thanks!

I picked it up on Kindle last night after scouring some reviews, all of which were far more positive than the one I recall reading at the time of publication.

Yes, the OHW rules are very simple; it's the scenarios that really make that book.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 05:59:58 PM »
I just have to have dice. To me, not a game without dice.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 12:18:19 PM »
I just have to have dice. To me, not a game without dice.

A friend of mine said the same recently. But I'm increasingly a convert to cards - faster, smoother and with more variables (royal cards, suite, etc., jokers, etc.). John Lambshead makes some good points in this regard in the OHSW book. Also, in a game with kids (from 5 to 15, in my experience ...), the time that can be wasted in gathering, shaking and imprecating over dice is considerable.

We played OHSW last night - the Retro Rockets scenario. We loved it - smooth, intuitive and great fun!

Next time we play (possibly tonight), I'll make a couple of 5" measuring sticks for straight-line moves; if one 'leapfrogs' in Song of Blades style with models on 25mm bases, that gives a 6" move more quickly than a measuring tape (which could still be used for moves that aren't in a straight line, though a measuring stick with inch increments marked would do the trick too).

I'm going to preorder the ancients/medieval book and try to get hold of the scenarios book too. I missed the last new print copy on Amazon, so may pick it up on Kindle once we've played through the scenarios in the OHSW book.

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 11:51:32 AM »
Interesting

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 02:19:05 PM »
We enjoy OHSW so much, we get a specific card deck for each period. Runes, Napoleonic, Wild West, WW2, German (Eagle) British (Union Jack). It's a tad anal, but seems to enhance the period 'feel'.

::)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 02:22:36 PM »
We enjoy OHSW so much, we get a specific card deck for each period. Runes, Napoleonic, Wild West, WW2, German (Eagle) British (Union Jack). It's a tad anal, but seems to enhance the period 'feel'.

::)

Offline pieface paul

• Assistant
  • International man of mystery
    • Pauls Wargames Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2024, 04:56:15 PM »
You can say that again!.

:D
Enough of this talking, let's get on.

Offline Cholmondely Percival IV

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2024, 05:08:00 PM »
He did.

Offline frd

• Bookworm
  • 15mm of madness
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2024, 01:37:55 AM »
I wonder what kind of additions this book will bring. The original One Hour Skirmish felt pretty "feature complete" to me, so I assume period detail.

Even that I'm not currently planning any ancient or medieval games, I'm going to pick it up either just as a way to support the author. To me OHSW stands next to Crossfire for a great example of streamlined wargame rules.

Normally I prefer rolling dice to drawing cards, but here the cards do a lot of heavy lifting to keep the game interesting. It's not just a replacement for dice rolls - it feels like there's a lot happening behind the scenes because you're using a single deck for everything in the game. Even if the author didn't plan for any of that, it still "balances" the outcomes over time letting you focus on tactics. Not to mention the system works well for solo games, so it makes me happy.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2024, 05:26:18 PM »
I ran a game with 10 players around Xmas time, found that OHSW worked well.  Everyone seemed to have a good time.  Changed a couple of minor things to accommodate the number of players and the theme.  The rules are very adaptable.
Highly recommended.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2024, 06:25:41 PM »
I bought these on Kindle down to the general enthusiasm for them. Is there a quick ref sheet anywhere, before I draft my own?

As to the new book - from the intro to the current book, I assumed the new book very much focuses on melee rather than shooting?

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2024, 07:42:30 PM »
I bought these on Kindle down to the general enthusiasm for them. Is there a quick ref sheet anywhere, before I draft my own?

As to the new book - from the intro to the current book, I assumed the new book very much focuses on melee rather than shooting?

There are lots of good stuff incl a QRS in the files section in the fb group