Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 09:47:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693557
  • Total Topics: 118545
  • Online Today: 763
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Napoleonic 28mm Terrain  (Read 3594 times)

Offline PAULSPENCE

• Scientist
Napoleonic 28mm Terrain
« on: June 03, 2016, 10:45:53 AM »
Bonjour Chaps,

I am no good at making terrain and so was thinking of buying some for use with 28mm figures.

Specifically hills and rivers.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get some from or, better still, is there someone who wants to sell some second-hand?

I'm in France but visit the UK frequently.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
Re: Napoleonic 28mm Terrain
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 05:18:49 PM »
They are a bit "marmite" but take a look at the Kalistra web site. I personally love their system but others have very different views (it'd be boring if we were all the same?)
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:45:27 AM by rumacara »

Offline PAULSPENCE

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
Bonsoir,

Some good links there and one I'm going to follow-up in particular as there hills look just fine and affordable too.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 09:19:27 PM »
Hills are never good as a question because there are several types of hill. The biggest problem relates to size. If you want a hill that allows a single unit occupancy you are laughing, but most times hills are much bigger, sometimes they can be features that extend along a whole side of a battlefield.

In short, when it comes to hills the question is a matter of troop scale. Answer this question before you proceed and you will not go wrong. In essence, it is do I want a land mass or a pimple?

Sorry, because this might not help, but I introduce it as food for thought - don't waste money on pimples if you want proper hills.

I recently set up a battle set during the SYW, this is quite a small battle, but the hill size might be food for thought.

In this shot the two hills, except for the valley between, extend for almost the whole twelve feet of the Prussian deployment. Hills are big.

Offline gustav

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 02:05:40 PM »
so James what did you use - I am still testing and pondering on the "right" solution for under the cloth hills. 

Are you using foam layers or existing foam hills or something else ?

I am currently thinking of foam mats - made into hills using contours like the old schools hills but then possibly with a thin layer of foam / rubber on top then the cloth.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 04:37:19 PM »
Hi Gustav,

I used insulation board.

I did a blog post on this battlefield

http://olicanalad.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/lobositz-first-fix-for-derby.html

and one on the blue insulation board tiles and hill design

http://olicanalad.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/take-to-hills.html

Hope this is useful, Regards,

James

Offline gustav

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 01:20:33 PM »

ah ha very interesting method that - thank you very much indeed for the info and some inspiration. 

Now I will have to see if I can source some of that foam here.  The usual insulation foam we see you lot in UK use is not easily available in hardware stores here in Oz, well not that I can find.  Certainly not here in Queensland :)

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 06:19:35 PM »
If you can visit the UK and can transport stuff, then TSS could be an option; they do a set of slope edges which go round their standard tiles to allow you to make HUGE hills. They come flocked and ready to play for a few quid a section.

(Postage is a pain however because they're bulky. Hence collecting from a show is the win.)

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 02:52:21 AM »
Do you have Bunnings in Brissie? I heard from fellow gamers that they stocked large sheets of high density foam sheets recently. It may have been orange, pink or blue, not sure as I never sighted it.

ah ha very interesting method that - thank you very much indeed for the info and some inspiration. 

Now I will have to see if I can source some of that foam here.  The usual insulation foam we see you lot in UK use is not easily available in hardware stores here in Oz, well not that I can find.  Certainly not here in Queensland :)

Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline gustav

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 04:00:44 AM »
Well after this thread did some old google research and to my surprise found that it seems that Bunnings do indeed now sell some of this XPS Foam.
Also got a pm from Capt Darling on here about the same being discussed on Rum Corp Tavern thread.  Tip of the hat to you Sir!

So I managed to pick some up on Saturday.  Light orange - 1200 x 600mm x 30 mm from Knauth for about $15.

Will see how this goes (although will probably take me a few months to get organised :))

Offline PAULSPENCE

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 11:04:10 AM »
Bonjour Olicana,

What a helpful chap you are!

Absolutely agree that hills the size of escarpments are often needed, particularly, as I'm hoping to return to Wellington in the Peninsula battles this year.

I will study your videos again as I'm unsure how many or how to remove the "wrinkles" that may appear when you cover the hills with a cloth.

Cheers,

Paul