Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 03:40:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691836
  • Total Topics: 118423
  • Online Today: 684
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Yet another Path to Glory  (Read 6089 times)

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
Re: Yet another Path to Glory
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 12:40:37 AM »
Nice stunies....I like how the large bases make them look smaller.

Offline Chaos Wolf

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 03:02:05 PM »
Nice work on the dwarves! Where is the berserker from? He looks like he may be a heavily modded GW Slayer, but I'm not positive. Also the posted link to advanced Path to Glory rules isn't working, at least for me. Is it available anywhere else?

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 08:14:24 PM »
Nice work on the dwarves! Where is the berserker from? He looks like he may be a heavily modded GW Slayer, but I'm not positive. Also the posted link to advanced Path to Glory rules isn't working, at least for me. Is it available anywhere else?

He is a GW slayer... well was I guess lol

Offline Geckilian

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 01:52:52 AM »
Cheers guys! The 30mm bases do work nicely - the dwarves will look even smaller when my pair of Chaos Warriors are painted!

The beserker is definitely a slayer, just with the mohawk removed and a greataxe from a Chosen of Chaos. Sorry to hear the link doesn't work for you, works fine in firefox for me. I mirrored it on mediafire, hope this helps - http://www.mediafire.com/view/csfd8n5te5gkb3l/Advanced%20Path%20to%20Glory%20V1.pdf

With any luck the next couple of models will be done soon enough. My week off work ended so less time to paint but I did manage to pick up more black primer, so there's that at least. It'll either be a Chaos Champion or some Orcs next.

Offline Geckilian

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 11:55:08 PM »
Well it's been about 16 months and I've still not painted anything else in that Khorne warband!

On the plus side, I did roll up, convert and play a quartet of games with a Tzeentch one so there is that! Here's how the games went for my gentleman scholar of Tzeentch, Franzreich Himmel, and his merry band of book collectors.

Warband Generation
Wandered north from my previous home in the Empire. The experiments were a success - I summoned forth a pair of flamers, a pair of screamers and a disc which I bound to my will. That made travelling and staying warm significantly easier. I was accosted by a trio of goblins atop a rickety chariot as I flew and, being the gentle sort I am, let them join my merry band of daemons rather than getting turned to ash. They accepted, the little rogues! Stopping to rest on a cairn, an old man came up to introduce himself and to ensure I wasn't going to ransack his home. As I wasn't, and he also liked books on forbidden knowledge, he asked to come along and revealed he was a Necromancer. Capital!

Game 1
After a few more days trekking north we entered some rather dense forest. There was a clearing not too far in, which was quite handy, and in the middle was some kind of abandoned tower. It was full of books, a glorious find! Unfortunately it was already occupied by a rather pompous man and his not so merry men with a whole host of goblins and some rather seductive daemons. I sent forth my screamers and flamers as Jhorkon, my esteemed Necromancer, raised a veritable legion of the dead, only to suddenly be plucked in to the realm of chaos by a giant taloned hand! Bother. Regardless, those worshippers of the scented god were sent running with their tails between their legs and I got to peruse the tower! Or at least I did after waking up from being clubbed unconscious by what I believe was a Pleasureseeker... Eventually Jhorkon found his way back to us after a few hours - turns out he was thrown out again somewhere to the south. When he'd returned he had some wonderful chaos armour and the mark of Tzeentch upon his brow! You have to admire a man who works that fast to gain favour. I merely grew stronger.

Game 2
Construction of the Book Golem is almost complete! It should serve as a faithful bodyguard and mount to Jhorkon once finished. Rather annoyingly, those bothersome slaaneshi worshippers returned and tried to oust us from the tower, shouting something about how they'd left their stuff behind and would quite like it back. Such nonsense, we drove them off again with a resounding success! Jhorkon managed to drag forth a massive 39 skeletons from the earth during the engagement! I didn't even realise there were so many dead people around here. With no losses and a surfeit of books to peruse we stayed there for some days. Eventually a pair of shamanistic acolytes also following the great Raven God of Fate found their way to the tower and we welcomed them with open arms. I myself finally learned some more practical wizardry in a manner I could employ on the battlefield whilst my flamers crackled happily about how they'd gotten better at shooting with all the practice they'd had. Good for them I say.

Game 3
Those pesky degenerates just won't give up! Once more they assaulted this tower, postponing my reading once again. The utter ingrates. This time was slightly closer as Jhorkon didn't have quite the level of invocation as before, but we still gave them a good drubbing I'll say. This time the slaaneshi troops decided that retreat was the better plan, and so hastily about faced and marched away once some of their number had been beaten down. Good show! The Book Golem was finally completed afterwards, so now Jhorkon has some acolytes to act as trendy well-read meat shields as well as am ambulatory aid. I feel I must have pleased my God rather well as after that fight a mighty giant eagle swooped down and bowed low to me! It's no raven, but I'll accept any boon given to me. Now wherever I hover tendrils burst out of the ground, whispering secrets and warnings of magic to me, and my increased might has aided my screamers. Since they travel with me so often it seems they're now more resistant to harmful magic, a splendid blessing for us all!

Game 4
It was time to move on. After being pestered so much by those sparkly and perfumed annoyances, I felt I was ready to travel further north. It was good going for a few days, before I came across the new camp of those same annoyances! Well, it wouldn't do to just pass them by, so in went my loyal followers! This time those goblins and their little chariot finally put in some work, crashing in to the Pleasureseeker that had knocked me unconscious long ago and running over the whole thing! That greatly brightened my day, and the little blighters seemed to have a huge amount of fun doing so, bless them. My screamers are jumping from strength to strength, their little crenelations thickening and spouting more little turrets with which to pepper the foe when they fly overhead. My chain of victories over the pompous man's troops has bolstered my confidence to no end - I feel like Tzeentch's Will itself bolsters me now, giving me glimpses in to what may be and what might happen. All the better to plan around! Soon we should emerge from the forest and I look forward to seeing what challenges await us on the other side!

----------------------------------

Essentially, the warband went full rare rolls to start and I got a pretty good start - a Necromancer, Goblin Wolf Chariot, 2 Flamers and 2 Screamers. Not the biggest of warbands, but it certainly packed a punch. After 4 games I've amassed a whole 2 unarmed Marauders and miraculously a great eagle, though screamers would probably have been better. Ah well, I finally get a use for one of my great eagle models!

Here's the warband in all it's basecoated glory -

Doesn't look very exciting yet really. The champion Frenzreich is converted from the old wizard Freebooter miniature with a new head and hat from Heresy's Lich sitting on a sculpted cushion on a disc made from a Hasslefree ogre shield. The tendril is from Monsterpocalypse. The book golem, which counts as a barded nightmare for the necromancer, is from Black Cat Bases and was made taller with some thickened books from GW's flagellants, with extra sculpted pages. The giant eagle is a lovely one of 3 from Gamezone. Old flamers, epic Silver Towers of Tzeentch as Screamers and a pair of Realms of Chaos champions/sorcerors for the Necromancer and one of the acolytes. The other with the small book held aloft is a reaper miniature with a new head and hood, and a GW metal goblin wolf chariot with the slightly older metal chaos hounds rounds the current warband off.

I'm looking to try and source more Silver Towers of Tzeentch should I get more screamers as I love those little models. My warband is likely to stay at this general size for a while as I stockpile FP since I quite like the size and don't particularly want more large blocks of troops, especially considering I'm going to have to strip and paint up a whole bunch of metal skeletons for the necromancer anyway!

I'm also planning to make a small campaign map for the involved warbands currently - I'll likely use my khorne warband to help my other friend catch up to the number of games played as he's going infantry heavy with Nurgle. This makes 4 warbands overall, and I have 7 Mighty Empires tiles with another 2 in the post, so another 10 or so should do if I can find someone selling just a few. 19 tiles makes a nice disc with enough room to move around. With luck I'll get a model of the warband painted every few days!

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 09:09:41 PM »
Very nice stuff! I hope to see some painted tzeenthc goodness soon. I am about to convert a few of the sorts myself :)

I really enjoyed reading through the reports as well.

Offline airbornegrove26

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 06:54:42 PM »
Glad to see you back at it.  That is an interesting little saga so far!!!

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 04:15:04 AM »
Whoa, am impressed with the dwarfs. Really like the minimal, no nonsense look and great finish on the metals.