Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:39:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Spleen's Adventures in the New Leyland Colony  (Read 6987 times)

Offline Muddlingthrough

• Assistant
Re: Spleen's Adventures in the New Leyland Colony
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2024, 07:55:11 PM »

A weapon team takes aim with an IAVR
More to follow!

Be still my beating heart. Lizard camo in space. This thread is a huge inspiration. I've recently gotten back into tabletop wargaming and am now planning a project inspired by this. When are we gonna see dispatches?

Offline spleenrippa

• Assistant
    • Roboterkam
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2024, 12:47:55 AM »
Be still my beating heart. Lizard camo in space. This thread is a huge inspiration. I've recently gotten back into tabletop wargaming and am now planning a project inspired by this. When are we gonna see dispatches?

Thanks so much for the kind words!

My sincerest apologies to the community for not posting an update for so long. Work and life have been sort of ridiculous, and most days I haven't had the gumption to 3d model or paint, let alone pull out the light tent and get photos ready.

Still, I have managed a bit of hobbying. I'm stuck in Edmonton right now, but will be returning to the promised land (BC) at week's end. I've got a few things to show off then. Stay tuned!

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2024, 02:33:29 PM »
Loving everything in this thread, will be watching it with great interest!

I've seen a couple posts inquiring about model availability, and to be honest it's not something I've given much thought to. Free is fine, but it'd be nice to get a couple dollars for a model and cover the cost of a coffee on the way to work here and there. Down side is, I have no interest in after-sales support or making sure pre-supported STLs are idiot-proof. Thoughts? Is there a market for cheap "take them as they are" STLs?

Sticking them on Cults3d with whatever nominal charge you like is probably the easiest.

Offline spleenrippa

• Assistant
    • Roboterkam
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2024, 05:00:16 AM »
Following the New Leyland government's expulsion of Vesta Pact forces from the colony- and the refusal of the VP Spaceborne Assault Team to go- the two entered into a state of conflict.
With the SAT firmly entrenched in the Strathcona territory and possessing a marked superiority in terms of experience and materiel, NLSF commander Max Holden launched Operation Constant Spider- a series of hit-and-run attacks into the territory aimed at making life difficult for the unwelcome off-worlders.

I set up a small village for the purposes of showing off some of my terrain and taking a few photos. There was no actual game played, but I moved things around in order to tell a bit of a story.
You'll have to forgive my printers in the background  lol
Overview:

Sitting in the foothills of the Strathcona range, the small settlement of Bowen had been empty since the VP took hold of the area. The NLSF used this opportunity to lure in a detachment from the nearby garrison by energizing the village's radio tower.

From the south, an SAT dismount section moves via the road into the village

A second section moves in to search the southwestern building

The Not-BMD arrives and takes up an overwatch position

Security Forces spring the trap!

Another team appears on the hill at the base of the radio tower

From the northernmost roof, a trooper with an IAVR takes aim...

A direct hit! The Not-BMD erupts into a fireball

The NLSF aren't done yet. A forward observer calls in a round of incendiaries

The rounds land on the first VP section with devastating effect

The team on the hill watches the fireballs

The security force teams move to ensure the second VP section does not proceed north. Meanwhile, the FO gets back on the radio...

When it lands, the second barrage is just as effective as the first

Although they had left willingly, the residents of Bowen had probably hoped to have something to return to...

These thoughts don't cross the mind of the NLSF CO, who enjoys the view and an after-action cuppa from his perch on the hill
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 05:22:54 AM by spleenrippa »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2024, 05:52:52 AM »
That’s a great looking game! The best sort of hard sci-fi, in my opinion.

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2024, 07:53:39 AM »
Agreed! Looks like great fun :D

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2024, 12:03:13 PM »
Great 'not-game' eye candy; and agreed with Pattus - really good Hard Sci Fi inspiration
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline iDreamofMinis

• Bookworm
    • I Dream of Minis Blog
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2024, 01:32:51 PM »
Really awesome job all around!  I, too, love the Lightyear transports.  I've got a few of them myself waiting in the wings.

I also really enjoy the story telling with the photos.  Very inspiring.  I hope you keep the story rolling and keep posting. 

PAX

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2024, 11:55:42 PM »
Those are fantastic photos! Do you have a link or anything to how you built the lighted blast markers? I'm getting ready to make some myself!

I fully expected the caption to the coffee mug commander to be, "I love the smell of incendiaries in the morning..."  lol

Mike Demana

Offline spleenrippa

• Assistant
    • Roboterkam
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2024, 03:55:03 AM »
Those are fantastic photos! Do you have a link or anything to how you built the lighted blast markers? I'm getting ready to make some myself!

I fully expected the caption to the coffee mug commander to be, "I love the smell of incendiaries in the morning..."  lol

Mike Demana

The core of each blast marker is a dollar store LED tea light with the polyester fill from a cheap pillow hot glued around it. A quick dusting of black spray paint and you've got yourself a miniature explosion.

Offline spleenrippa

• Assistant
    • Roboterkam
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2024, 04:19:45 AM »

Deep within the bush stands an effigy of the patron saint of beleaguered soldiers, St Javelin

I wanted to try a bronze statue, so I found a mini of St Javelin on Thingiverse and resin printed it at ~50mm height. The plinth was a ten minute modelling job in Blender, printed in PLA on my FDM machine. I think I managed an okay stone + patinaed bronze look. It might need some moss growing in the corners. Hmm.  ::)

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2024, 08:13:07 AM »
You did better than “okay” mate! This looks great! What’s your stone recipe?

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2024, 09:07:31 PM »
Great looking game - it could be my tired brain, but I cannot see listed what ruleset(s) you are using, as it's definitely piqued my interest.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2024, 09:28:45 PM »
I agree -- that statue is awesome. Thanks for the recipe on the explosion markers.

Mike Demana

Offline spleenrippa

• Assistant
    • Roboterkam
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2024, 12:06:40 AM »
Great looking game - it could be my tired brain, but I cannot see listed what ruleset(s) you are using, as it's definitely piqued my interest.

No game played. I just wanted to take some photos, so I moved minis around a bit and made up the story as I was wrote the post  ;D

That being said, I have been working on a set of rules for platoon level combat. Once I have a draft ready, I'll make sure to put a link here so anyone interested can check it out.