Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:45:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1730496 times)

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5190 on: July 28, 2016, 03:41:54 PM »
Maybe this is a scatter-gun approach to finding what works and what doesn't. You can't just turn back the clock, too much has changed in the hobby in so many ways, so perhaps there's a deliberate policy of giving nostalgia-inspired initiatives a go along with other ideas, in order to see what ones make money and what ones don't. After all, there are plenty of projects that get praise and cooing appreciation, both before and after release, but don't actually sell very well.

If GW can become a widely loved company again and still be financially successful, I'd be happy to see it. Would they get my money again? Well, why not. Anything's possible I suppose.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #5191 on: August 01, 2016, 07:30:13 AM »
...sign of GW finally listening to customer feedback.

Boy they must be getting desperate.   :o

On another note, GOG.com currently has the older Warhammer PC games on sale in case someone's interested.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5192 on: August 01, 2016, 07:42:08 AM »
I got Shadow of the Horned Rat off 'em, decided it was unplayable, and waited to see if they'd put Dark Omens up for sale. Have they done that yet?

No, they haven't. :(

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #5193 on: August 01, 2016, 08:24:18 AM »
If GW can become a widely loved company again and still be financially successful, I'd be happy to see it. Would they get my money again? Well, why not. Anything's possible I suppose.

They got £12.50 from me over the weekend. I took out a 3 month subscription on the relaunched White Dwarf - not because I necessarily believe it's gonna be good again, I suspect it will still be aimed at younger viewers - but because I am curious, I think £4 for a 156 page mag is potentially decent VFM, but mostly to secure the freebie on the first issue which by all accounts will be a Khorne figure that I happen to collect (but would never fork out £18 for). If the mag turns out to be rubbish after the third issue, well I have my freebies and enough paper to cover my painting area for a good few months.

There's also a good chance they will get some of my cash later in the year for a Start Collecting box, or maybe the upcoming Blood Bowl set (not necessarily Humans v Orcs, but almost certainly Dwarfs v Skaven, if that particular rumoured boxset materialises). If you pick and choose and are not dragged into the system, their intro boxes are among the best value around.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #5194 on: August 01, 2016, 09:39:11 AM »
They got £12.50 from me over the weekend. I took out a 3 month subscription on the relaunched White Dwarf - not because I necessarily believe it's gonna be good again, I suspect it will still be aimed at younger viewers - but because I am curious, I think £4 for a 156 page mag is potentially decent VFM, but mostly to secure the freebie on the first issue which by all accounts will be a Khorne figure that I happen to collect (but would never fork out £18 for). If the mag turns out to be rubbish after the third issue, well I have my freebies and enough paper to cover my painting area for a good few months.

There's also a good chance they will get some of my cash later in the year for a Start Collecting box, or maybe the upcoming Blood Bowl set (not necessarily Humans v Orcs, but almost certainly Dwarfs v Skaven, if that particular rumoured boxset materialises). If you pick and choose and are not dragged into the system, their intro boxes are among the best value around.

I'm still undecided about this. I had been thinking about risking the year's subscription, but I have drifted so far from GW that I think it would just be a waste of money.

Towards the end of the previous monthly WD the paint articles had become very basic and just seemed like teasers to get you to buy a digital book that explained things further. A lot of the remaining articles were about buying half a dozen very expensive kits and using a few bits from each of them to build a supamegabetta conversion. The battle reports had become an unreadable joke and their new photographer didn't really seem to know what he was doing.

I haven't bought any of the weekly issues, but the couple of WD Visions I've leafed through still seem to suffer from the same problems.

There's still a couple of weeks to decide. Despite the rant above, I may yet subscribe o_o

The three month sub sounds like a good idea, just as long as you remember to cancel the direct debit ;D

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5195 on: August 02, 2016, 12:44:36 AM »
The only reason I'd get a subscription is for the LOTR stuff and HOBBIT. But they are non existent from what I see in there  :?

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5196 on: August 02, 2016, 12:50:07 AM »
The only reason I'd get a subscription is for the LOTR stuff and HOBBIT. But they are non existent from what I see in there  :?

Aren't they coming back under Forgeworld? Or something like that?

I don't even keep track of GW anymore it's such a train wreck.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5197 on: August 02, 2016, 12:57:05 AM »
It certainly is Grant but over the last year or so it's virtually been shelved.... but lots of new releases and some OOP's are coming back! Hopefully a massive revival for the fans!  And I can get some figures back and not pay ebay prices... so far the re releases havent been exuberant and I've managed to finally get a few sets osgiliath ruins  :D

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #5198 on: August 04, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »
AoS General's Handbook has been released, so now we've got point values  :D.
Anyone bought it ( I plan to, to give AoS a last chance ) and what do you think about it? And yes, I know, a second book in order to really start playing is, ehm, somewhat dubious imho but that ship has sailed, so...
Leadhead

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #5199 on: August 04, 2016, 06:58:13 PM »
AoS General's Handbook has been released, so now we've got point values  :D.
Anyone bought it ( I plan to, to give AoS a last chance ) and what do you think about it? And yes, I know, a second book in order to really start playing is, ehm, somewhat dubious imho but that ship has sailed, so...

It has the rules at the back so really it's all you need to start playing.
The points system is a little odd, and i'm sure GW will have to clirfy the whole"100 pointws, min 30 max 60" unit size thing they've gone with, but it has caused alot of fresh interest in the game and from all accounts it seems a perfectly balanced little point system.

The scenarios are where it shine for me, with wondering monsters and random encounters really adding to the "play to have fun" Feel of the game.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #5200 on: August 04, 2016, 07:37:09 PM »
I got Shadow of the Horned Rat off 'em, decided it was unplayable, and waited to see if they'd put Dark Omens up for sale. Have they done that yet?

No, they haven't. :(

Yeah, Dark Omen is the one that's actually fun to play and can even be completed.
Shadow of the Horned Rat on the other hand is just a study in masochism and should be considered a crime against humanity.

There's also a good chance they will get some of my cash later in the year for a Start Collecting box...

Those boxes are actually pretty good in general, especially for playing ITEN like we do around here.
Was waiting for the Eldar box myself but when it finally surfaced... 'disappointing' would be the word I'd use though I guess the units contained are useful in actual 40k?

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #5201 on: August 04, 2016, 08:24:06 PM »
Heresy!

Shadow of the Horned Rat was brilliant. A brilliant brilliant game.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #5202 on: August 04, 2016, 08:28:10 PM »
Steam have mordheim up for freeplay for three days and %60 off purchase price at moment...

tempted....

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5203 on: August 04, 2016, 08:30:50 PM »
Steam have mordheim up for freeplay for three days and %60 off purchase price at moment...

tempted....

Played at a friend's a while ago and wasn't that impressed by it, but maybe I should give it another go...
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5204 on: August 04, 2016, 08:48:28 PM »
60% off you say. hmmm.