Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2024, 02:46:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694791
  • Total Topics: 118634
  • Online Today: 414
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1735191 times)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #7365 on: September 22, 2017, 10:53:16 PM »
The Humble Bundle is a cracking good deal - a ton of background and gaming ideas if you're into the Old World at all, not just roleplaying.  All for the cost of a cinema ticket and snacks.  It's worth the money they're asking ten times over - may be the best PDF deal I've EVER seen.  IIRC it's 27 books, and the quality is good.

You also get a 30% off voucher for the Cubicle 7 RPG store in the bundle - I picked up a couple of £25 books and the savings effectively paid for the Warhammer Fantasy deal.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7366 on: September 22, 2017, 11:30:15 PM »
That's the kicker too...Cubicle 7 is going the "new" Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, so if that coupon counts, it could be worth up to $20 by itself.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7367 on: September 23, 2017, 02:04:31 AM »
I don't really do RPG's myself (yet, maybe sometime in the future) and have all but stopped with Warhammer but it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. Even just for the fluff and stuff.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7368 on: September 23, 2017, 12:30:56 PM »
THey just put up some new hobbit bundles. Looks like they'd bundled laketown militia and soldiers into 12 man warbands rather than 3 man blsiters.
£40 a warband but I think that's a saving over buying the individual blisters.

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #7369 on: September 23, 2017, 02:51:35 PM »
The Humble Bundle is a cracking good deal - a ton of background and gaming ideas if you're into the Old World at all, not just roleplaying.  All for the cost of a cinema ticket and snacks.  It's worth the money they're asking ten times over - may be the best PDF deal I've EVER seen.  IIRC it's 27 books, and the quality is good.

You also get a 30% off voucher for the Cubicle 7 RPG store in the bundle - I picked up a couple of £25 books and the savings effectively paid for the Warhammer Fantasy deal.

Hur hur hur...just bought and downloaded the bundle. Some decent stuff and good art. I still like the 1st Ed. better, but ruleswise the 2nd was a big step forward and for that price I simply couldn't say no. And some of the stuff is surprisingly well written!

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #7370 on: September 23, 2017, 04:41:32 PM »
If anyone is interested in Warhammer fantasy Roleplay digital books, Humble Bundle has a good deal going now. $20 for a crap load. I think 22 books in total. This includes the 1st edition in digital format too.

Good for another 5 days or so.

or you can just pay $1 and get 4 of them (including the core book)
Getting twenty-six titles for $20 is a deal, but how is the quality and does it have one's name and order number watermarked on the product? I bought Stephen Danes' Bad War and supplements and has my full name and order number on each page. >:( I understand why it's done, but would've preferred either the # or # and 1st name...

Had Black Industries come out with Shades of Empire or The WFRP Companion early on, instead of thin titles like Old World Armoury, Bestiary or Sigmar's Heirs, I wouldn't have zoned out of 2nd Edition and then engaged in rush purchasing on hearing news of discontinuation - got the French versions of Tome of Corruption, Children of the Horned Rat and Night's Dark Masters, as it was cheaper than paying ~$100/book.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #7371 on: September 23, 2017, 06:33:25 PM »
Quality is good - the line is recent enough that they are not scans.  Most likely PDF exports of the original DTP files.

No watermarks.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #7372 on: September 23, 2017, 06:36:27 PM »
Quality is good - the line is recent enough that they are not scans.  Most likely PDF exports of the original DTP files.

No watermarks.
Thanks. Only the Career Compendium needed, but I'll fork ou the $20 for the English versions of the aforementioned titles, especially as I couldn't find any possible errata or Q&A for 'em.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #7373 on: September 23, 2017, 06:39:10 PM »
THey just put up some new hobbit bundles. Looks like they'd bundled laketown militia and soldiers into 12 man warbands rather than 3 man blsiters.
£40 a warband but I think that's a saving over buying the individual blisters.

Yeah, the blisters would be £60 for 12 figures, so a bit of a decent saving there.

Wish they'd do the same with the mattock- and crossbow-wielding Iron Hills dwarfs on Forgeworld ;)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7374 on: September 24, 2017, 06:48:04 PM »
Teasers for the guard codex up on warhammer community with some nifty looking conversions of some classic regiments.

Also this looks really interesting....

"Of course, if you’re starting a new Astra Militarum army, you’ll need somewhere to play them, and Moon Base Klaisus is perfect. Building your own boards is a fun and rewarding experience, but it’s not always practical for gamers who are limited by space or just want to set their games up quickly – the new Moon Base Klaisus set gives you everything you’ll need to get gaming in minutes on a great looking 6’x4′ board. Made up of modular card tiles – designed to be interchangeable to vary your battlefields – and featuring push-fit ruins, Moon Base Klaisus is great for gamers looking for an easy way to make sure they’ve got a cool-looking place to play, wherever they are. The ruins themselves are designed to fit in with both the Sector Mechanicus and Sector Imperialis terrain, meaning if you do decide to build a more bespoke gaming board you’ll be off to a head start.

Lovely thick card with push fit plastic ruins. A nice update to the frankly awful to store cities of death terrain. I can see these being brilliant for stores and game clubs.

Storing terrain was always a HUGE problem at work, We had racks dedicated to scenery and we tried to keep mats nice and flat or tiles stored neatly but having enough scenery for say 6 40k tables when you don't have alot of tear down stuff is a huge space commitment. Having a table that goes neatly back in the box is ace. (WE tried the tablescapes tiles but they cost a fortune and weighed a ton. The citadel tiles are okay but cumbersome.6x4 mats started to fray and got stained alot.the old GW grass mats were good but looked like they had mange after so many years of use.)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #7375 on: September 24, 2017, 11:06:05 PM »
Yeah, there's a huge "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" factor with terrain. Nicely done card tiles look are enough to create immersion on the tabletop, I reckon.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7376 on: September 24, 2017, 11:08:37 PM »
Those ruins look nice but if that's all that comes in one box... :/

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7377 on: September 24, 2017, 11:16:02 PM »
Those ruins look nice but if that's all that comes in one box... :/

WE don't know how much comes in the box or how much the box is yet.

Think of it this way, Let's say you just got into 40k with 8th edition. You didn't wanna get the full starter set because you didn't want to pay so much so you got one of the smaller ones. Well then you have a play mat and the cardboard scenery that came with that.

now it's a few months down the line, you like the game, you've got a few more models but your paper play mat and cardboard terrain isn't enough anymore.
You only just started in the hobby, you don't have the confidence or skills to build a full 6x4 ...

So you buy this.
You just started out so you don't need the full 6x4 straight away, so you do 4x4 with the plastic in the box.

Then you want to do 6x4, so you add in your cardboard scenery.

by the time you think "huh, I need more terrain" then you're already at the point where you'd be looking at building or buying your own terrain.

Also I have to say that having set up tables for 40k players for about 2 years , This seems to be the standard amount of terrain they like.I think it sucks , But I want nice narrative games with cool scenics and multi level gameplay. Most players seem to like sort of open fields with a little bit of LOS blocking.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #7378 on: September 25, 2017, 11:34:31 AM »

Also I have to say that having set up tables for 40k players for about 2 years , This seems to be the standard amount of terrain they like.I think it sucks , But I want nice narrative games with cool scenics and multi level gameplay. Most players seem to like sort of open fields with a little bit of LOS blocking.

Someone was bemoaning the lack of good tables in AoS on the Grand Alliance forums. Seems most players really don't care too much about terrain and find it just gets in the way. Rather sad and bizarrely enough that guy said when he put together detailed tables for a campaign he had people literally get angry with him over it and very few wanted to take part. A few scatter pieces in a box with some tiles is probably the best GW could expect to sell to some.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7379 on: September 25, 2017, 11:42:21 AM »
Someone was bemoaning the lack of good tables in AoS on the Grand Alliance forums. Seems most players really don't care too much about terrain and find it just gets in the way. Rather sad and bizarrely enough that guy said when he put together detailed tables for a campaign he had people literally get angry with him over it and very few wanted to take part. A few scatter pieces in a box with some tiles is probably the best GW could expect to sell to some.

It's silly really since the games are built to use terrain. AOS actually benefits greatly from a nice terrain dense table with lots of height and cover, But all those converts and latecomers from fantasy still want an open field with a church in the middle.

I think 40k in 7th was suffering from alot of people not wanting terrain because it got in the way of their fancy game ending god weapon combo, Very much a case of "I wanted to destroy my enemy with this forgeworld deathcock but the table gave them cover saves thats not fair balablahblah MUH TACTICS!!"

......Working in a store didn't make me jaded towards gamers ...no at all.....