Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2024, 02:51:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694792
  • Total Topics: 118634
  • Online Today: 416
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1735193 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2715 on: January 24, 2015, 07:36:59 PM »
The marine is okay but that flying skull baby with dinnerware? WTF!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2716 on: January 24, 2015, 09:01:02 PM »
Cyberbaby they can/have probably copyright.

If they had tried a parrot the pirates would probably have sent a cease and desist order.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2717 on: January 25, 2015, 04:40:34 PM »
The marine is okay but that flying skull baby with dinnerware? WTF!

Yeah, but it's optional. Guess we'll able to buy those cheaply by the score from bits providers very soon  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #2718 on: January 25, 2015, 08:07:42 PM »
Yeah, but it's optional. Guess we'll able to buy those cheaply by the score from bits providers very soon  lol

If by cheaply you mean 3 quid....and yes, I bought one as a bit with some other stuff.
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2719 on: January 26, 2015, 08:58:58 AM »
Regarding the price of plastic miniatures, I think you're all missing the point. These are no longer "single figures", they're "multi-part plastic kits". As such, they clearly require plastic model kit prices.

These are still (a bit) cheaper than Tamiya and Dragon kits, so I don't see what everyone's complaining about. Unlike the Tamiya kits, these can be used in tournaments, so are clearly better value :D

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2720 on: January 26, 2015, 09:39:06 AM »
Regarding the price of plastic miniatures, I think you're all missing the point. These are no longer "single figures", they're "multi-part plastic kits". As such, they clearly require plastic model kit prices.

These are still (a bit) cheaper than Tamiya and Dragon kits, so I don't see what everyone's complaining about. Unlike the Tamiya kits, these can be used in tournaments, so are clearly better value :D

Shouldn't that be ' multi-part plastic single figure kits"?  ::)

As that seems the product direction = e.g. high quality boxed single figure sets.... I mean kits.

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #2721 on: January 26, 2015, 11:02:45 PM »

Call a spade a spade its A single figure ! don't try and dress it up, So that's why the price is so high you can use these OOber troopers in a tournament.. lol  good old GW ..

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #2722 on: January 27, 2015, 10:59:41 PM »

I'd agree with you except that the Perry and WGF multipart plastic kits cost about 1/3 as much (per figure) as GW.   
:D

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2723 on: January 28, 2015, 11:54:00 PM »
Just read Martin Onderdonck's article in WSS about how brilliant Warhammer is and what a facepalm. Fair enough if he likes Warhammer, but his article makes hagiography look like a hatchet job (his utter whitewashing of the fact that End Times and 9th ed are shaking up WHFB because sales are plummeting, for one thing) and all his points about why it's great were the points that made me - like him, a gamer starting with GW rather than Airfix models - loathe it. What's slightly more irritating is the assertion that WAB was the best thing to happen to historical gaming, and that a lot of historical games are based on Warhammer. Slight point about the way some historical games are marketed these days, but otherwise I only see War & Conquest and Clash Of Empires as 'Warhammer's children', and one of the reasons I got into historical gaming was to find games that were nothing like Warhammer. I wasn't disappointed.

I can read plenty of this kind of unmoderated gushing on Dakka or somewhere for free, but paying £4.25 (and contributing to Martin's cheque) to read it in WSS really rubs me the wrong way!

Offline Streetline

• Librarian
« Reply #2724 on: January 29, 2015, 07:36:11 AM »
I thought the article was better than that - I have to disagree with some of his points but it wasn't quite that bad.  Overall the issue was really good, first one I've been tempted to buy after a WHS scan in some time.

But why have an editorial saying why they don't cover fantasy or sci fi, and then have a two page ode to WFB?  Illustrated with 40K pictures?  It did strike me as a bit odd.
Exeter Legionary - 7th May 2022 - Exeter Matford Centre
Games, traders,  bigger bring and buy every year
http://legionaryshow.co.uk/

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2725 on: January 30, 2015, 10:27:11 PM »
I am not sold on the new look harlequins

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Solitaire

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Harlequin-Troupe-Troop?_requestid=12660655

Don't know, but there's something. Not right - too clownish or is it they remind me of french mimes?

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2726 on: January 30, 2015, 10:37:15 PM »
I think the new harlequins look fantastic!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2727 on: January 30, 2015, 11:52:22 PM »
The bottom middle one looks like he is prancing. Don't like the sculpted bases. Not bad sculpts (aside from poses)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2728 on: January 31, 2015, 12:11:19 AM »
I like em. Still a bit pricey though.

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #2729 on: January 31, 2015, 01:32:51 AM »
I thought they were suosed to look like French mimes. In the original background there was even a branch of the Troupe called mimes and a character called the Master Mime. He was in charge of espionage and would do things like sneak into enemy command bunker and leave a calling card. There were no mimes in the army lists or minis tho.

Also nice to see the return of the Solitaire, and some mention of sort of almost godlike powers. This was imlicit in the background in RT but did not really get reflected in the rules- he was basically like the high warlock but with a bit more equipment in game terms. Funny enough the write up on the new solitaire page mentions infiltrating bunkers, so it is kind of like they have conflated the old master mime and solitaire into one super solitaire character. That does make sense since the mimes danced the role of daemons, and the master mime that of te most importand daemon, but the solitaire danced the role of slanesh so the master mime was kind of redundant in that sense.

Also i think they are supposed to look like they are prancing, so that is probably deliberate. According to the red compendium, the troupers are dancers. The guy in the bottom middle is an Avatar. The Avatar or high avatar dances the part of the Laughing God, who is forever ducking and diving and evading Slaanesh.

The trooper on the right has a weapon that looks suspiciously like a neuro disruptor. I approve.

Looking through the red book some of the fluff was quite apalling, especially the imperial guard. But the harlequin stuff is quite nice. Although i am not a big fan of these sculpts compared to the previous ones, it is nice to see the eldar maintaining the link with that and also with the Jes Goodwin designs.

So in terms of all that it does all seem to make sense. 16 quid for the solitaire on the other hand does not make too much sense to me...

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:37:47 AM by weismonsters »