Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:03:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694070
  • Total Topics: 118578
  • Online Today: 528
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Game Craft barn/livery stable  (Read 2028 times)

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
Game Craft barn/livery stable
« on: January 22, 2012, 04:33:41 PM »
I finished up a Game Craft Livery Stable today.

I liked this building, but I had trouble with it.  Most of that is due to me and my processes vice Game Craft.   Note:  I left off the provided doors as I have on all my buildings and the figures in the pictures are Black Scorpion so bigger than others (and I did not paint the figures).

I knew the barn came without an interior but wanted one.  I purchased it before Game Craft offered optional floors.   I decided to go with a dirt floor and again used thin plywood as a base.

Issue 1:  The support beams that 'hold up' the overhang have very little surface area to attach them to the overhang.  That turned into an issue for me because the wood putty I used to cover the base caused slight warping of the base.  The supports stuck to the base and pulled off of the overhang.  I used some epoxy to rejoin them (and fill the gap that had been created).

Issue 2:  There is a door for a hay loft, but again, no provided interior.  I added some wood strips to act as support for a plywood 'floor'.  Yes, it should cover the whole building and should have stairs or a ladder.  I didn't need a full complete floor and thought stairs/ladders wouldn't be easy to make and would take up/clutter interior space useful for gaming.  Doing them right would have been beyond the level of effort I was willing to put in. 

Issue 3:  The roof is not really made to be taken on and off, it really relies on the walls of the building for stability.  Since I needed it removeable I ended up using wood putty on the join of the two pieces.  If you look carefully you'll notice I screwed up and glued the larger piece with the etched shingle patteren uside down.  Because I caght this late I decided to just leave it.  Yes, I'm that lazy.

Anyway, here are some pictures.  Feed sacks and hay bales are not glued in.  They are resin pieces I got from:  http://www.schombergscalemodels.com/index.php

and a few more pictures here:  http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/CptJake_Minis/Wild%20West/
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Re: Game Craft barn/livery stable
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:43:05 PM »
Nice!
Looks like a good place for a shoot out!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 06:45:05 PM »
You did a fine job on the building.
Don't be so hard on yourself.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Mississippi

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 10:48:28 PM »
With the minimal to work with you did a GREAT job. :o Looks good ;)
Never tell me the odds.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 01:11:01 PM »
Thanks for the complements guys.   It is a cool building, and I did need a barn.

My daughter want to know if she can take it up to her room to use to play with her toy horses.
 :?
Jake