Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 04:38:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692771
  • Total Topics: 118484
  • Online Today: 674
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: possible Makhnovists  (Read 2902 times)

Offline the-devils-sotnia

• Schoolboy
possible Makhnovists
« on: March 21, 2011, 07:57:26 AM »
I'm starting to build a Makhnovist army and have found the threads on the topic extremely helpful [as is the whole forum...an astonishingly wide and deep resource]. I was wondering how the Copplestone Czech Legion infantry would look painted as peasants: the tunic seems from the illustration to be able to pass for a peasant blouse/smock. Or am I wrong?

Offline Ataman

• Librarian
Re: possible Makhnovists
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 04:01:14 PM »
I'm starting to build a Makhnovist army and have found the threads on the topic extremely helpful [as is the whole forum...an astonishingly wide and deep resource]. I was wondering how the Copplestone Czech Legion infantry would look painted as peasants: the tunic seems from the illustration to be able to pass for a peasant blouse/smock. Or am I wrong?

I'm sure the Czech Legion figures could work. Painted in suitably shabby and mis-matched colours, they could definitely pass off as makhnovists.

However, I also recommend buying Copplestone's Russian Partisans and Ragged White Russians as well (just be sure to file off the shoulderboards for the Whites). Makhno's forces weren't exactly known for their high-quality uniforms, so having a mixed unit painted in a variety of greys and khakis would work best in my humble opinion.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 04:56:42 PM »
Here's a look at these pictures. They are made up of the Russian Revolution.
http://www.prokudin-gorsky.ru/database.php3?first=0
Here you can see the colors of the clothes of Russian peasants and other classes, as well as ideas for creating and painting terrane.
To create an army Makhnovists can use partizan Copplestone, sailors (they also had a lot of Makhno), Red Army, and even whites, but by removing the shoulder straps.
That conversion, which is making Russia wargamer - the detachment Makhno.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 05:08:08 PM by cuprum »

Offline the-devils-sotnia

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 08:31:03 PM »
Thanks for these very helpful suggestions. I've started with Copplestone partisans and sailors as you suggest and had a fun time painting the partisans today. I'll follow on with your recommendations.

Best wishes.