Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 10:10:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694176
  • Total Topics: 118585
  • Online Today: 631
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Best 25mm or small 28mm Sherden?  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Best 25mm or small 28mm Sherden?
« on: September 12, 2023, 01:09:06 PM »
I'm thinking of painting up a small warband of Sherden, primarily to use as 'berserkers' in old-school D&D, but also potentially for historical or pseudo-historical skirmishes.

My D&D project is in 25mm: Minifigs pig-faced orcs, hobgoblins and gnolls; adventurers by Grenadier (esp. Julie Guthrie), Ral Partha, RAFM and very old Citadel. I'm basing humanoid figures on pennies/20mm rounds for maximum manoeuvrability in confined spaces, but I don't much mind if 'berserkers' are a bit bigger than ordinary humans. So smaller 28s would be OK, so long as they'd fit on 20mm rounds.

The 'berserkers' will be literally 'Sea Peoples', as they'll represent bands of seafaring adventurers from far away who have entered the megadungeon via a subterranean river and are fighting their way out (getting increasingly crazed in the process). The Sherden are perfect for the role, given their distinctive horned helmets and bronze gear. I want the players to think, "Oh no, not these guys again ..." whenever they're placed on the table. They won't be actual berserkers, just implacable, spooked and ferocious warriors who don't speak whatever the PCs speak. They won't surrender, but they might be brought onside if helped against a common enemy.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for the best 25mm or smallish 28mm Sherden? In the former category, I've come across Minfigs and Lamming (I don't mind going retro/primitive); in the latter, I've found North Star Kadesh and Wargames Foundry. But am I missing any other good Sherden or horn-helmeted Sea People options?

From what I can glean, Foundry might be slightly smaller than other 28mm ranges (certainly, the old Citadel/Foundry WotR figures are bang on with some of the 25mm stuff I'm using). But is that true of the Sherden?

Any pointers gratefully received!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Best 25mm or small 28mm Sherden?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 01:22:18 PM »
I would recommend the Lammings. They do come up occasionally on e-bay.
You might also take a look on e-bay at Hinchcliffe.   

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 01:35:51 PM »
I think the old Perry Wargames Foundry would be your best bet.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 01:42:41 PM »
Agreed. I bet they’re bigger than their even older WOTR though. Not a huge problem if you like your barbarians to be big units.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 02:26:45 PM »
The Perry/,Foundry would be my choice. More "small 28" than 25mm. Newline also have a range but not the best IMHO.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 09:29:30 PM »
Thanks, all!

I'll give due consideration to both the Lammings and Perry options; Lammings make some very retro rat-riding goblins, which I must have in the dungeon, so I might order a couple of their Sherden at the same time and see how they look. If I do opt for the Perry ones, which I probably will, the Lammings ones could become statues: I quite like the idea of having a section or level of the dungeon with a 'Bronze Age Middle East' feel, populated with weird spirits and creatures that the Sea People have brought with them (perhaps originally released or summoned to fight off the underworld's denizens).

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 07:25:19 AM »
Given you already have Minifigs, wouldn't they be the most surefire size match?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2023, 08:41:24 AM »
Given you already have Minifigs, wouldn't they be the most surefire size match?

It's a good point. So far, my main reasons for not getting the Minifigs one are that there's just one (though the Lammings one might match it well) and that I can't find a clear photo of it.

Also, I'm being a bit elastic on scale with human figures for this project, given the range of manufacturers from which I'm drawing PC miniatures. I'd actually started it off as a 1/72 project, on the basis that the smaller Minifigs and Grenadier monsters would work just fine (if I'd stuck with that, the Caesar Sherden would be perfect). But I realised that it was easier to use 25mm metals as adventurers because there's just more variety (especially for female characters) and I already have lots of Julie Guthrie and Ral Partha character figures, which otherwise would never get used.

Finally, the stats for 'berserkers' in old-school D&D make them quite formidable for early-level characters: berserkers get two attacks, for instance, which is a big deal, as is their refusal to surrender or flee. In that light, I suspect the Perry figures might look more the part - though I'd love to see a clear shot of a Minifigs Sherden.

Offline RSDean

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2023, 05:00:58 PM »

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2023, 10:34:14 PM »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2023, 11:58:30 PM »
Aha - thanks, both! That Ral Partha one put me onto another search term in "Shardana"; I'd previously been looking for "Sherden" and "Sea People".

Lots more food for thought! I'm increasingly inclined to go for Foundry, on the presumption that they'll (probably) be at the smaller end of 28mm and also because the Sherden-Sea-People-Peleset-Philistine-Goliath connection gives me a tenuous excuse for their being quite large!

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2023, 03:16:42 PM »
Newline also have a range

This was going to be my suggestion: I think they'd fit with your "small and old-school" look.
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2023, 01:35:43 AM »
Cutting Edge via Warlord is your best choice. I love the whole range.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2023, 05:35:44 AM »
Whilst I like most of the Cutting Edge range and have their Hittites the Sea Peoples look "weedy" to me. I'd go Foundry which at £14 for 8 figures are £3 per pack cheaper than Warlord.