Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 12:47:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10472
  • Latest: J_elves
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693433
  • Total Topics: 118539
  • Online Today: 672
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: RT Harlequin, Squat and Marines  (Read 9354 times)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: Rt era Harlequins
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 06:51:12 PM »
Good man! ;)

Eldar are another of my 'stash' projects, with loads of RT metal, and a stupid amount of metal jetbikes back in the day when GW did sales, bought a blister box of 10 for £10 and got one free!  :o (well it was 1989!). Harlequins were an especially guilty pleasure of mine.. pucker up marine! Time for a little kissy kissy!

:D
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 07:52:12 PM »
11 for £10! Back when you could afford a GW army!
I think the cover art for the Harlequin box set is a lot to blame.

Plus psychotic clowns are just really scary for a bizare reason.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 07:57:43 PM »
That was ONE BLISTER BOX.... so 20 jetbikes!  :o My best friend the other half of the deal. Sadly he was killed on a bike in '93, not sure where all his figures went I think his sister's little boy now has them. RT projects are very special to me as we used to spend hours squabbling and playing during that period, them's were the days soley missed.. :(.

Anyway.... thought anymore about flags and bunting? :D

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 10:27:02 PM »
Funnily enough, I was thinking about digging out my 'quins earlier and seeing what I could do with them. Selling off the rest of the Eldar, but the Jesters are a keepie.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 08:45:38 AM »
Flags and bunting will definately be a part of the finished model, probably in an excessive volume. I tried to fit a few to my Avatar (Troupe Leader), but couldn't work out how to without them looking daft and amateurish.
Found a video by a guy who's made a Harelquin army for one of the more recent editions of 40k, which is quite interesting, but seems to lack some of the essential fluff, but most centrally Solitares.

Duncan
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:01:25 PM by dijit »

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 12:01:02 PM »
Well I've now put the finishing touches to the Dreadnought, with mould lines filed down, 'head' repainted and checker pattern added and last but not least some streamers and bunting to give it a more 'organic' look.

And from the left:

And from the right:

Hope you like it.
Duncan

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 01:38:11 PM »
Absolutely splendid!

Have you tried highlighting the checkerboard pattern? I have seen it on som models in the past, and it can look fantastic when done well.

Are we going to see your troupe in the flesh at Horisont?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 03:27:21 PM »
I have highlighted the checker board pattern, but since you're asking it's obviously not enough!
Unfortunately I have to work the same weekend as Horizont, so I can't make it :(
Duncan

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 05:14:44 AM »
I have highlighted the checker board pattern, but since you're asking it's obviously not enough!
Unfortunately I have to work the same weekend as Horizont, so I can't make it :(
Duncan

Ah, sorry - when watching more closely, I can see the highlights in the upper left corners - the light in the photos just played tricks with my aging eyes  :)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 07:28:02 AM »
Don't worry constructive criticism is part of what makes LAF so good. I'm going to add some more highlights I think just to make it a little more obvious.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 08:02:19 AM »
Don't worry constructive criticism is part of what makes LAF so good. I'm going to add some more highlights I think just to make it a little more obvious.

Maybe just a slight accentuation towards the the corners will be necessary - subtlety is called for to not 'ruin the model'.

One question: Do you use wet-blending or 'just' layers of thinned paint to achieve the gradient (on the green leg, for instance)?  I'm particularly interested in the dark green, as I have a bunch of Firstborn in my collection, and now, after starting to play In the Emperor's Name, some of them might even be used often enough to justify a better paintjob  ;)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 08:22:31 AM »
I don't use wet blending as can't seem to get it to work properly, and if anyone knows of a good video tutorial on it I'd be very gratefull. I mainly use a series of thin colours (sometimes adding a little 'sfspændingsmiddel' to break up the surface tension, though it sometimes leaves a slight glossy sheen, so not  only a touch) and slightly increase the highlight colour through the layers. On the green I used GW's Orchide Shade, then highlighted with yellow, before adding a touch of white towards the end.
IIRC aren't the Firstborn the renegade Dark Angels? And they left before the Dark Angels changed the colours to green so should be in black?
Duncan

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 08:52:10 AM »
No, the Firstborn are the Dark Angels per se (first chapter of the First Founding) - the renegades are the Fallen, and they should be black, as (per the fluff I know) the DA changed their colour to green after the Horus Heresy. This change was decided quite late in GW history, though, as when I bought Space Hulk 1st Ed. they were still black (actually that was the reason why I chose them as my chapter - didn't know much about the 40K universe back then). Suddenly they turned green and replaced the Salamanders as one of the 4 most promoted chapters (I suspect that a member of the GW staff had a Salamanders army but wanted to play Dark Angels because of the Deathwing supplement for Space Hulk or something like that...).

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 08:55:49 AM »
Ah, ok thanks Niels. I still remember back to Rt days and get confused now with all the different versions. Then they had some proper marine chapters like the Flesh Tearers and Flesh Eaters and let's not mention the super cool chapter - The Rainbow Warriors  :D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 09:04:08 AM »
Ah, ok thanks Niels. I still remember back to Rt days and get confused now with all the different versions. Then they had some proper marine chapters like the Flesh Tearers and Flesh Eaters and let's not mention the super cool chapter - The Rainbow Warriors  :D

I have a soft-cover version of Rogue Trader. Still love to flip through it and read the odd rulle here and there. I think that ItEN does much to recreate that feeling of 'anything goes' from those days. Also the reason that I like NR a LOT - extreme freedom to build your small force with the minis you want, and the possibility to find just the right stats for your weapons of choice...  :)