Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 10:03:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1731753 times)

Offline Mr Brown

• Scientist
    • Speartips and Spaceships
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2700 on: January 20, 2015, 09:44:49 PM »
I still don't see the big problem.

They made a switch to a new material and went into marketing overdrive to push it. They have since managed to get tooling into place for plastic and dropping said new material for all plastic production.

Would you prefer they keep the Finecast?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2701 on: January 21, 2015, 08:22:22 AM »
I think I see what Zem's saying as regards their launch nonsense. Enthusiastic marketing is one thing, but at some point it's just complete bullshit and, far from selling your product, it actually discredits your entire brand. We expect a certain amount of blather in advertising, but haven't consumers evolved a little past the PT Barnum style guff?

Confidence in GW took a very big hit with the F***cast fiasco and at no point have GW acknowledged the error or apologised to customers for their mistakes. A bit of honesty would no doubt have gone a long way.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2702 on: January 21, 2015, 08:52:22 AM »
I think I see what Zem's saying as regards their launch nonsense. Enthusiastic marketing is one thing, but at some point it's just complete bullshit and, far from selling your product, it actually discredits your entire brand. We expect a certain amount of blather in advertising, but haven't consumers evolved a little past the PT Barnum style guff?

Confidence in GW took a very big hit with the F***cast fiasco and at no point have GW acknowledged the error or apologised to customers for their mistakes. A bit of honesty would no doubt have gone a long way.

Nailed it.

Basically no-one really liked f-cast, and if its gone, then pretty much everybody is glad its OOP.

Now if I could actually afford to buy their plastic, or more accurately if their plastic was sensibly price, I could afford to buy new in greater quantities than none.

Which is sad, as they do make nice stuff, its just not nice enough at their pricing.

And because the pricing also creates more competition for the second hand stuff  ::)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #2703 on: January 21, 2015, 09:02:49 AM »
I think it's because they DO make nice stuff that people get worked up.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:35:28 AM by Momotaro »

Offline Streetline

• Librarian
« Reply #2704 on: January 21, 2015, 12:20:16 PM »
All the LOTR/Hobbit releases for the last two years have been "resin".  FCast by any other name, or FW quality material I don't know as the prices have put me off.  But they're certainly not only out putting new plastics - the resin lives.

JDE
Exeter Legionary - 7th May 2022 - Exeter Matford Centre
Games, traders,  bigger bring and buy every year
http://legionaryshow.co.uk/

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #2705 on: January 21, 2015, 01:43:02 PM »
Basically no-one really liked f-cast, and if its gone, then pretty much everybody is glad its OOP.

I actually liked pretty much every Finecast figure I bought. It wasn't an incredible number to be sure but I never ran into any of the quality control problems that people encountered. Even at the beginning of the process when they appeared to be sending out flawed figs for whatever reason.

At the store where I work most of the Finecast returns we have are primarily for broken weapons. The figs really don't ship well in the clamshell cases.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2706 on: January 21, 2015, 01:54:15 PM »
All the LOTR/Hobbit releases for the last two years have been "resin".  FCast by any other name, or FW quality material I don't know as the prices have put me off.  But they're certainly not only out putting new plastics - the resin lives.

JDE

There were plastic Hobbit releases. Plastic dwarfes, the Rivendell knights, the elf rangesr etc. I also remember a (surprisingly) plastic Legolas clampack as well.

My only finecast stuff is an uruk-hai command box. Well actually two, because the first one was so low quality, the shope gave me another one for free. The second one was not much better.

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline Streetline

• Librarian
« Reply #2707 on: January 21, 2015, 02:02:02 PM »
Maybe I should have said two films then, but I don't recall any plastics coming out for DoS and there certainly haven't been any for Bo5A.  The dwarves and knights were a while back now sadly.  I was putting some of the dwarves together last night oddly, nice figures.

JDE

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #2708 on: January 21, 2015, 02:08:26 PM »
Mirkwood rangers and palace guard, but they were probably tooled for the first film.  The switch to three movies was made quite late.

But yes, your point stands - no plastics for anything after the barrels scene, which was originally then end of the first film.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:49:00 PM by Momotaro »

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2709 on: January 23, 2015, 08:34:51 AM »
A free Horus Heresy computer game for those so inclined - iphone and android versions.

There's also a computer games sale and some other freebies - more here

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2710 on: January 24, 2015, 01:45:32 PM »
17 QUID FOR ONE MINIATURE????????
THEY REALLY ARE BARBARIC.
 "LETS PUT THE PRICES UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP AND UP THIS WON'T OFFEND ANYONE WILL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Necron-Overlord-2015
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline Cultist of Sooty

• Bookworm
« Reply #2711 on: January 24, 2015, 03:34:53 PM »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2712 on: January 24, 2015, 03:47:07 PM »
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Space-Marine-Librarian

How about 18 quid...?

Nice model (it's not even OTT like most other stuff we've seen the latter years), but far too expensive.

Is it just me, or haven't they bothered to dust off the model before photography?  :o
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2713 on: January 24, 2015, 04:07:15 PM »
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Space-Marine-Librarian

How about 18 quid...?

When the hell was this released?
How did I miss it?

Im out. Im out, just no. There are one or two pieces I still need but I will buy online at gifts for geeks and thats it. no more.

hahaha  lol

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #2714 on: January 24, 2015, 04:37:55 PM »
Im out. Im out, just no. There are one or two pieces I still need but I will buy online at gifts for geeks and thats it. no more.

hahaha  lol

That's how most of us feel. I'll definitely never buy anything direct from them anymore either.