Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 08:58:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Fine Day at Bickley Towers  (Read 3255 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
A Fine Day at Bickley Towers
« on: April 21, 2011, 10:28:55 PM »
A long time in the planning, I finally got to play on Dave's quality terrain.  Two games with the quartet of Dave, Phil, John and myself.

The morning was taken up with an AWI game, Jon had the British and Phil and I played the rebellious, but considerate, Americans.  We used Black Powder rules and I was pleased that they work just as well on a normal table with 16-20 man units.  To keep it fresh we had to roll for initiative every turn.

A surprise event was the appearance of Dave's Hessian Brigade in turn 5, however, due to some dire dice rolling, they were all dead or fled by the end of turn 6.

The result was a draw, but highly enjoyable.

After a pleasant lunch (thanks, Sue), Dave went and set up a Pulp game set in Howardville.

Four teams, 3 gangsters and 1 law, with the aim of capturing Professor Branestawm.  After a frantic game the results were: Jon, most of the police officers and Captain White killed, the Baldinis were nearly all killed with the Don, in an act of cowardice, hiding out, Don Bicclione lost all of his henchmen and, after another bout of dire dice rolling (familiar?), found himself alone in the middle of the street and, having been beaten up by two police officers, was cold-bloodedly filled full of lead while he lay on the floor, in a pool of blood, by yet another cowardly Baldini.

Oh, the winner, well modesty forbids ..........

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:16:25 PM by joroas »
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Re: A Fine Day at Bickley Towers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:30:58 PM »
Two beautiful looking games that looked a lot of fun!
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Online Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 10:56:14 PM »
Glad you enjoyed your visit, John! Despite my 'dire dice rolls' I enjoyed both the games myself.
David
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:49:56 PM by Yankeepedlar01 »
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 11:01:59 PM »
Happy days  :)

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 09:12:38 AM »
Great stuff, looks a good days wargaming was had by all. Like many others I am very envious, of your invite. Top stuff as always from Bickley Towers. Thanks for sharing.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Online Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 06:24:24 PM »

A slightly more flattering photo of the main protagonists ~ Front: "Fightin' Phil" Robinson, C-in-C of the American forces and Lord Walton of Stafford, aka Jon White, C-in-C of the British forces: Back Row ~ John Aston, Commanded the American left and yours truely who made a [very] brief and entirely ineffective appearance as the Hessian Brigade on the British Right flank.

John ponders the British course of action at the opening of the game, while...

...Phil and John consider how to proceed and possibly win the day.

The British centr holds firm and the Left flank makes progress against White's Courthouse and Rawnsley Farm.

While the Hessians, over whose performance we shall draw a veil, make an all too brief appearance on the British Right Flank...

Leaving Phil to ponder what might have been...
A drawn game, with the Britsh centre holding and the left flank finally driving the American rebels out of the courthouse, while the American left flank drove off the surprise Hessian assault in short order. Well done John! :'(

In the afternoon, as John said in his post, we played an Astounding Tales game based on my Pulp US layout.

The shot shows the culmination of the afternoon's action. Don Biclionne lies dead in the roadway, gunned down by his arch enemy Baldinni; meanwhile John, aka Wun Ung Lo, delivers the coup-de-grace to Captain White and the Boys in Blue and makes off with Professor Braynstawm ~ which was the object of the game really.

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 07:58:05 PM »
Really inspiring pictures.

I really must get more of those Old Glory buildings - 2 dosen't really do it!

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 03:06:37 AM »
Those OG buildings paint up nicely...
Maybe it's time to get the OG membership....
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Cultist #3

• Scientist
  • Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 07:53:24 PM »
where are the vehicles from?

I can never seem to find anything suitable for this genre.
Zombies you can outrun - the mistakes of your fellow Heroes you cannot.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 07:56:57 PM »
Car boot sales often have old Lledo or Matchbox cars, but they were made to fit the box, rather than a scale.  They look right, though.  Usually £1-£2..... 8)

Online Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 09:13:25 PM »
where are the vehicles from?

I can never seem to find anything suitable for this genre.

They are a mixture of LLedo, Days Gone By and Solido; all from local collectors/antiques markets and charity or junk shops. None cost me above £3.00, often they were just £1.00, so I have rather more than is decent really. In Canada & the USA, I'd recommend haunting eBay, they often crop up in auctions, but usually more pricey. Hope this helps.
David
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:25:37 PM by Yankeepedlar01 »