Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 05:37:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - 15mm Elf king and knights  (Read 35272 times)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - 15mm Elf king and knights
« Reply #270 on: April 30, 2024, 10:18:48 PM »
Amazing work, especially at 15mm!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #271 on: April 30, 2024, 11:28:04 PM »
Thanks!

As with most of my recent 15mm fantasy figures, the sculpts did most of the heavy lifting on the paint jobs. They’re very well sculpted and crisp casts, so washes and dry brushing helped produce a lot of what you’re seeing. Then some strategic highlights, such as on the skin areas.

Regarding the shields, I am pleased with how they turned out, but they’re not too hard to do. Getting the yellow circle at the top consistent was the biggest challenge. The white bits are like on my barbarians- consistent squiggles. There are lots of imperfections on the shields, but we tend not to notice them when the figures are in units.

Shooting them in front of the Hodgson backdrop helps, too!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #272 on: May 01, 2024, 09:20:54 AM »
Thanks folks, I’m glad you’re enjoying them!

DivisMal, it may be my fault that you overlooked the thread- I should have started the 15mm fantasy project as it’s own thread, rather than tacking it on to my general fantasy thread (which is mostly 28mm). Splitting them would have made the 15s more visible for folks who specialize in that scale. The benefits of hindsight…

It’s great to hear that you’re getting some inspiration from them now that you have found them!

Oh nevermind. I fully understand that sometimes a thread takes a life of its own and evolves beyond its original title; and it is always a great joy to discover some gems where you didn’t expect them!

What rules are you going to use for these?

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #273 on: May 01, 2024, 01:28:25 PM »
Those elves are outstanding!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #274 on: May 01, 2024, 02:37:09 PM »
Thanks for the compliments!

DivisMal, the main rules I intend to use are Fantastic Battles. The basing I am using is meant to be easy to use with other sets, though, so I may also use the collection for Hordes of the Things, Warmaster, or similar. I may also try some 28mm games like Kings of War and tweak the rules to use smaller bases.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #275 on: May 01, 2024, 04:00:45 PM »
Thanks for the compliments!

DivisMal, the main rules I intend to use are Fantastic Battles. The basing I am using is meant to be easy to use with other sets, though, so I may also use the collection for Hordes of the Things, Warmaster, or similar. I may also try some 28mm games like Kings of War and tweak the rules to use smaller bases.

I have those rules (Fantastic Battles), but something in them always makes me get desinterested while reading them. Can’t even say what exactly it is.
The idea is great. Aiming to play as many systems as possible with a chosen basing is the way to go.

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #276 on: May 02, 2024, 02:45:14 PM »
The elven cavalry is looking really nice. I'm a big fan of uniformity in armies, especially when painted so well.

The sculpting might be doing much of the heavy lifting, as you say, but the painting really makes them shine and really well done.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #277 on: May 02, 2024, 05:13:30 PM »
Thanks Luigi!

Uniformity is definitely a good thing in a lot of armies. I try to keep the colour palette limited even for fairly chaotic forces like my orcs earlier in the thread (reds and blacks for clothes and shields) and the barbarians (red, green and blue for shields and clothes).

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #278 on: May 02, 2024, 07:05:15 PM »
Oh goodness, those elf cavalry look fantastic. I love the shields and how they're uniformly themed, but not each identical as well, they really do look great together as well.

Strong work! Looking forward to more.
n.

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #279 on: May 02, 2024, 10:46:42 PM »
Those look indeed splendid. Impressive detailing at that small a scale! Also very nice colour scheme.