Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2024, 07:21:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695090
  • Total Topics: 118652
  • Online Today: 543
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Winter Of ‘79 ( updated 7 Feb Attack On The Cop Shop Game )  (Read 29212 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: Winter Of ‘79
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2023, 04:31:01 PM »
Did Tin Shed also sculpt the Internal Security range as well as the Cold War figures?

The reason I ask is that the internal security look less “stocky”?

Offline HESH

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2023, 05:49:54 PM »
No mate , the IS range was bought complete from Tiny Terrain Models .

They are lovely sculpts and a joy to paint. I’m in the  process of converting some into figures with turtle helmet and visor . My main axis of interest is Winter of ‘79 .

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2023, 07:09:21 PM »
No mate , the IS range was bought complete from Tiny Terrain Models .

They are lovely sculpts and a joy to paint. I’m in the  process of converting some into figures with turtle helmet and visor . My main axis of interest is Winter of ‘79 .

Perfect, thanks...in that case I'll be adding some to my own "After the Bomb" project...had some of the Mike Bravo figures that I used as TA/HSF and these look like they will fit in nicely with them.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2023, 09:59:25 PM »
So that's likely to be the full extent of that range then?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline HESH

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2023, 10:36:47 PM »
I think in this current climate it’ll be driven by sales.

Fingers crossed that they sell well.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2023, 10:43:27 PM »
Of course. What I meant was if it was a range purchased from the presumably (?) defunct Tiny Terrain rather than commissioned from scratch then it's less likely any more will be produced. Do we know who the sculptor was? The sculpts look vaguely familiar.

Offline HESH

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2023, 11:49:22 PM »
Roger that . The sculptor is known  to 1st Corps and is available to design more.

What do you think should be produced? I’d like a Greenfinch and a couple of RMP figures , possibly some Brits with riot shields and FRG?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2023, 03:03:01 AM »
Possibly terrorists with a wider range of weapons, AR-18s, M-1 Garands or M-1 carbines etc. Some early RUC/ generic coppers, sans body armour with No.4 Lee Enfields and either Walther PPs or Ruger pistols.

An Ordnance Corps EOD would be nice. Paras in the old Mk II helmet and Denisons even nicer.

While I doubt few, if any, would share my peculiar taste for annihilating the Irish Army circa 1969/70, some Gardai would be nice and if some spare heads in were produced, then reasonable proxies of the Irish Army along the border  for the late 1970s, early '80s could be made using the existing figures. They were essentially kitted out in British kit save for the boots and the odd Carl Gustav SMG carried by the section commander. Things easily sorted with a file, some paint and a spares box.

This is painful. I've finished my Berlin Infantry Brigade (well in so far as I originally planned, there's always room for more) and am well into the US Berlin Brigade but now I see myself drawn into the Winter of '74 with a very British coup staged by Mountbatten, Airey Neave and David Stirling. Any chance to shoot a miniature version of James Goldsmith has to be jumped at even as a poor substitute for shooting the actual late and unlamented shit bag.  :D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 03:12:30 AM by carlos marighela »

Offline HESH

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2023, 04:48:30 PM »
Few more Pigs …

Offline MartinD

• Bookworm
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2023, 05:57:47 PM »
Looking forward to these, but...

I'm from Northern ireland, grew up during the Troubles (born in 1970) and had some family members in the RUC. I feel I can make what might either be a minor criticism or put my foot in my mouth.

But these don't really scream RUC or English soldier to me apart from the uniform. They need a bit more character - ethnic character I suppose. The RUC I recall were quite heavy set, big guys, with the look of a Unionist politician crossed with a rich farmer. Or Presbyterian preacher. Not all, of course. But my Uncle was in the RUC and he was like that - these were big men, both physically and in their general demeanor. If we can get away with caricatures of certain ethnic characteristics in WW2 sets surely it wouldn't be so bad to have a few (Command figs maybe?) at least who fit that look. It's no different than putting a monocle on a German Officer head, surely.

In comparison, the British troops looked young, fresh-faced, and smaller in build.

Anyway, diversion...   

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2023, 09:11:54 PM »
I did run through the thread, but could not see where you got the Humber Pigs (flying or otherwise) from?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2023, 09:45:26 PM »
Butlers aside there are a couple of options in 1/56. Sloppy Jalopy and the Anyscale versions with the latter being almost half the price of the former and from the photos alone no worse in terms of detail.

https://sloppyjalopy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=68_79_82&product_id=82

https://www.anyscalemodels.com/shop/humber-pig-armoured-truck.html

No doubt someone on the planet has STL files for a bigger version.

Offline HESH

• Librarian
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2023, 11:05:29 PM »
Yep, mine are 3D printed and as with all my vehicles , these are 1/48 scale. I’ve added the Perspex windows that slid sideways to allow you to rest a weapon , FRG or just see more clearly as they mostly very worn and stained with every kind of liquid on the planet, including human ‘waste’.

Martin , I respect your take on the look of people. I carried out three tours during Op Banner . My memories aren’t fresh at 62 but as I was painting these it felt right . A lot of young faces popped back up from what is now a distant memory.

The lads that I served with were every shape and size as were the RUC that we supported . They all had one characteristic in common though  - a massive heart . Perhaps they were all giants or at least standing on the shoulders of giants or those who had gone before?

Offline HESH

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2023, 04:09:01 PM »
Like one or two here I am a great fan of using diecast. I also use 3D printed vehicles , both are great for vehicles not produced by any Wargames firm .

Offline HESH

• Librarian
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2023, 04:15:31 PM »
Nothing takes out barricades better than the Royal Engineers using plant equipment. Also good for crater filling and destroying unofficial roads.

This was a diecast bought off EBay for £3 . It’s a certain vintage to fit my project time frame. Repainted, meshed up front and side windows and Perspex added to rear windows with Royal Engineer decals and number plates fitted ( Butlers ) also Union flag added  ( free off Humbrol paint tins) . It was yellow - bought two , the other is for the ‘Bad Lads’ and the bucket will carry a large IED .