Forum > Workbench

Using flow improver leaves a sticky surface?

<< < (2/2)

DS615:
If you're having a heat wave, you've likely got high humidity too.
Humidity does all sorts of weird stuff to paint, not the least of which is making it "dry" tacky.

Try putting the mini in the fridge to dry.  Odd, I know, but it has solved similar issues for me in the past.

Orctrader:

--- Quote from: ErikB on August 24, 2010, 10:12:28 PM ---When I use those GW washes it darkens everything. 
--- End quote ---

A wash will do that - but leave the recesses darker.  I wash, for example, metal work - both metallic paint and NMM.  With metallic paint I'll take it upto a very bright highlight then - once completely dry, apply the wash.  Though the "high points" are also darkened it was "overly" bright before.  With NMM I retouch any parts I want to "brighten."

--- Quote from: ErikB on August 24, 2010, 10:12:28 PM ---...even when mixed with water it leaves a ring of smudge when it dries.

--- End quote ---

It is the water that is making the "smudge."

--- Quote from: ErikB on August 24, 2010, 10:12:28 PM ---I'm amazed that you use several layers.  If I did that with brown or black it would simply be opaque.

--- End quote ---

I use washes occasionally, and sparingly.  I would not wash an entire figure - well, have not to date.  I would use on leather, for example where I want a wash to darken further.

--- Quote from: ErikB on August 24, 2010, 10:12:28 PM ---...I really liked those old inks.  I'm trying to recreate them.

--- End quote ---

I use Coat d' Arms ink washes.  And those I do dilute.  Use them for glazes too.

Hope that helps.   :)

ErikB:

--- Quote from: Orctrader on August 25, 2010, 06:35:35 PM ---It was "overly" bright before. 
--- End quote ---
I'm just starting to figure that out.  Thanks for reinforcing the idea.  I'll be mindful of that now.

--- Quote from: Orctrader on August 25, 2010, 06:35:35 PM ---It is the water that is making the "smudge."
--- End quote ---
That's why I'm trying the flow-improver to thin out washes instead.  Still working on getting the mixture right.

--- Quote from: Orctrader on August 25, 2010, 06:35:35 PM ---I use Coat d' Arms ink washes.  And those I do dilute.  Use them for glazes too.
--- End quote ---
Dilute with what?  Water?  I'll see if I can find that brand.

Thanks heaps.

Orctrader:

--- Quote from: ErikB on August 25, 2010, 06:59:54 PM ---Dilute with what?  Water?  I'll see if I can find that brand.

--- End quote ---

For the CDA ink washes, water is all I use - though I suppose it depends on the "quality" of tap water in any particular area.

I buy CDA paints HERE

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version