Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 07:47:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Deadlands infantry  (Read 13877 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Deadlands infantry
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »
Alamo I expect, although Artizan does some nice ones so Mex-Am possibly?

Looking at uniforms etc, Maximillion period uniforms are rather dull. They look rather like ACW troops :(

May have to ignore that....
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 07:46:31 PM »
They had some nice unusual units which might appeal though :)

A battaion of Egyptians sent over to curry favour with France, Belgians and Hungarians to boot. Dont forget Zouaves and the FFL, Foudnry Mike Owen sculpts are rather nice. I used Deadlands a few years ago for gaming this and it worked well

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 10:45:39 PM »
Worth thinking about cheers, although call me old fashioned but I'd like lots of Mexicans in my Mexican army :)

Now obviously the Deadlands setting isn't historical (even ignoring the supernatural stuff) and Santa Anna is still alive and leading troops again in 1878, but the Mexican army details are somewhat confusing. The only detailed description of a unit I can find is a Cuirassiers force where it describes their uniform as

"They're clad in dark blue coats, red trousers with blue stripes down the side, and heavy brass helmets festooned with horse hair". (From an encounter description)

The only description of the infantry in the same book is that they have blue coats, however in another book it describes them as having showy uniforms. (loads of info in both of them you can tell).

Now to me, that describes Mex-Am war, as didn't the infantry wear white in the Max period (which this is) and had deliberately 'plain' uniforms? However, the only two pics I can find actually depicting Mexican troops are:

And another of an officer in a yellow/gold? uniform with Kepi, both of which say Max. What do you think?

Now obviously at the end of the day it doesn't matter too much but I'd like to go with what was intended to some extent.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 02:45:21 AM »
Ooh now just a thought perhaps look at some of the Perry Carlist War figures that would be the thing, Major Dundee is the film to watch in that instance :D

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 07:56:06 AM »
Ooh now just a thought perhaps look at some of the Perry Carlist War figures that would be the thing, Major Dundee is the film to watch in that instance :D

That's not a bad idea, the Isabelino figures would work rather well. I'll give Nick a chance first though as they're going to be started in January, they might be worth looking at :P

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 08:41:05 AM »

One thing I'm confused about (one of many things, but this one is relevant to this thread) is are the proposed Mexicans Alamo, Mex-Am War or Maximillian period?  There is a fair bit of difference between the first two and a lot with the third.

Obviously the Max period would be compatible with the ACW and after, but your current range - and you can't rest until it is finished - is more 1820-30s.

Please help my poor brain   :(

The Proposed Mexicans will be 1820's - 1830's specific to the Texas War of Independence/Alamo and Zorro esq California.

Dewbak is interested in these purely for the uniform design in a fantasy setting. They will not work for anything after 1840 historically.

During the Mex/American war the unifiorm changed with the Mexican army wearing stovepipe shakos as opposed to the bell top shako of the earlier period.

The uniforms of the Maximillian period then start to follow the FPW style French uniform with Kepi's replacing shakos and much surplus ACW American equipment.

White uniforms are usually ssociated with summer dress and seem to have been worn in all the periods.

The Artizan Mexicans are Alamo specific period.

Hope that helps.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 09:02:25 AM »
Dewbak is interested in these purely for the uniform design in a fantasy setting.

Fantasy! How dare you....... there's no zombies, demons, magic....... errrm...... There's no Orks or Elves!

During the Mex/American war the unifiorm changed with the Mexican army wearing stovepipe shakos as opposed to the bell top shako of the earlier period.

Just to blur that a little but I'm fairly sure stovepipe shako's were worn at the Alamo by some troops. Admittedly that's based on artwork etc rather than research but I'd hope they'd done some.

White uniforms are usually ssociated with summer dress and seem to have been worn in all the periods.

Yes, but during the Max period the blue tunics were reserved for 'dress uniform'. However now I've actually typed that it's probably what the Deadlands guys were thinking of when they were writing.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 09:05:44 AM »

Just to blur that a little but I'm fairly sure stovepipe shako's were worn at the Alamo by some troops. Admittedly that's based on artwork etc rather than research but I'd hope they'd done some.

Nope, not that I know of. I haven't come across one anywhere in my research. :?

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 09:09:49 AM »
Looking at things again with a quick search I think it may be that the Mexican bell shako is far less 'bell' than the french one that I always think of.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 09:36:45 AM »
The Proposed Mexicans will be 1820's - 1830's specific to the Texas War of Independence/Alamo and Zorro esq California.

Dewbak is interested in these purely for the uniform design in a fantasy setting. They will not work for anything after 1840 historically.

The uniforms of the Maximillian period then start to follow the FPW style French uniform with Kepi's replacing shakos and much surplus ACW American equipment.

The Artizan Mexicans are Alamo specific period.

Hope that helps.

That's what I thought  :)

The Artizan Mexican inf are also very nice figures ( I have a couple of packs already) and fit in well with yours.

After the ACW finished, the Mexican government bought lots of cheap surplus Union blue uniforms and issued them to the infantry. They wore these in conjunction with bits of the white uniform and odd items like sombreros etc. They were a very rag-tag bunch, much like they were in the massively expensive Alamo campaign.

The only detailed description of a unit I can find is a Cuirassiers force where it describes their uniform as

"They're clad in dark blue coats, red trousers with blue stripes down the side, and heavy brass helmets festooned with horse hair". (From an encounter description)

The only description of the infantry in the same book is that they have blue coats, however in another book it describes them as having showy uniforms. (loads of info in both of them you can tell).

In the Mex-Am war there was a cuirassier regiment - "The Tulancingo Cuirassiers" who did indeed wear a very showy uniform almost like the description you have. Brass helmet with black horse-hair, sky blue jacket with crimson facings, piped white with white epaulettes. Crimson overalls with sky blue stripe trimmed with black leather and a sky blue shabraque with white edging. Helmet and cuirass very "Napoleonic French" in appearance, but with a big Mexican crest on the chest.

I have a unit in my (very old) 15mm army and they looked very nice next to the equally gaudy "Hussars of the Supreme Powers"  :D

Considering you are doing non-historical - never fantasy of course ;) - you could easily be justified in having showier uniforms. The Mex-Am War uniforms were generally pretty splendid, especially the cavalry mentioned above and the red and green clad Marines etc.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 10:06:20 AM »
Helmet and cuirass very "Napoleonic French" in appearance, but with a big Mexican crest on the chest.

Yeah, I'm thinking Perry plastic heavy cav and dragoons are going to be useful.

Considering you are doing non-historical - never fantasy of course  - you could easily be justified in having showier uniforms. The Mex-Am War uniforms were generally pretty splendid, especially the cavalry mentioned above and the red and green clad Marines etc.

Non-historical, I like that :D
I think the showy uniforms are what people envisage when they think Mexican troops, or at least I do, so there!

Wasn't this thread about North and South models?  lol

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 10:11:34 AM »

Wasn't this thread about North and South models?  lol

Yes, but aren't they drab and boring in comparison.... Viva Mehhhhhico! :D

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 10:18:58 AM »
Now maybe it's because I'm more used to painting the exceedingly boring uniforms of the Great War, but I don't find Mexican uniforms from the 1860s dull at all...

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 10:21:16 AM »
Now maybe it's because I'm more used to painting the exceedingly boring uniforms of the Great War, but I don't find Mexican uniforms from the 1860s dull at all...

He was referring to the ACW north and south uniforms being dull in comparison. I can see though how easy it is to get confused with this thread... lol

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2009, 10:23:04 AM »

Looking at uniforms etc, Maximillion period uniforms are rather dull. They look rather like ACW troops :(

Are you sure? Am I really misunderstanding the above?