Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 11:29:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Venusian Crown Militia  (Read 5334 times)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Re: Venusian Crown Militia
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »
Remember to look out for wild west hunters/ACW snipers with buffalo guns - perfect for shooting dinos and big kroot (sorrry parrotmen) beasts.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 06:14:28 AM »
That's a good point. Brigade do a unit of ACW Sharpshooters with Steam Rifles, I'll take a look at those again. I have more than a few Darkest Africa Hunters, some of which I think have slouch hats rather than pith helmets. I'll have a look through but a couple of those may join the force as characters.

Kroot? There is no Kroot here, only Parrotmen  o_o
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 05:04:16 PM »
I found I had too many Foundry/Copplestone explorers etc for Darkest Africa exploration games, so what I did was formed them into a local defence force, along with a couple of spare Boers.

They don't have a formal uniform, but are dressed in brown or khaki jackets and trousers, with grey shirts and red bands around slouch hats [where applicable]. Any with pith helmets had a red flash on the side and NCO rank insignia and any jacket piping are also red. The OC has an obsolescent Zulu War era uniform.

They all have different weapons etc, but the whole look unit quite respectable if highly irregular - just what I imagined an ad hoc unit in a far flung corner of Empire should be. They are sort of a 19thC "Dad's Army". It also meant I have managed to justify some extravagant & probably wasteful spending  lol

This idea might work for your chaps. It would also mean you could use a number of different figures instead of relying on one source.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 04:47:40 PM »
What about 1st Corps Cape Wars/Kaffir wasr figures.

They are dressed for tropical climate, but are very early Victorian in appearance. They would be less easily identified as Boers or Sudan British when placed on the table.
They have some nice mounetd figures as well armed with shotguns.
http://www.1stcorps.co.uk/CWpg1.htm
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 12:30:27 AM »
Hi,
   Black Tree Design do Boers and they look good.

Great sounding plot, can't wait for the battle reports

Cheers

Fritzy

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 12:54:20 AM »
Those 1st Corps Cape Wars mounted guys are great! Gotta love units armed with shotguns  :-* Some of them do look a bit too early for my tastes but there are certainly some gems mixed in there, thanks!

I mentioned the BTD design Boers in an earlier post, are they as chunky as they look in this pic?
http://www.blacktreedesign.com/uk/product.php?productid=25233&cat=2510&page=1

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 01:08:53 AM »
I haven't seen them personally but have used the Brits from the Zulu war range. If you email them or give them a phone call they will send you a free figure from the range of your choice, just say you are looking to compare sizes of minis. I've found them really helpfull. The british are the same size as the Ironclad miniatures Moriaty and look good.
   Hope this helps.

Cheers

Fritzy