Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 07:50:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10482
  • Latest: Veroo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694274
  • Total Topics: 118596
  • Online Today: 665
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Billchuck's 15mm fantasy  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
Billchuck's 15mm fantasy
« on: October 05, 2021, 03:47:58 PM »
With the third edition of Five Leagues from the Borderlands on its way, I thought it was a good time to start working on some fantasy minis.  I have a copy of the pre-layout rules (I lent a hand with development) and the green light from Ivan and Modiphius to post about it as I play through a campaign.  There’s a lot of work still to be done, so things can change between now and the game’s release. 

First up is my warband:

Warbands start with 6 people: 4 heroes and 2 followers.  In my warband I have:
Gabriel Hill, a human noble, hero, and the band’s leader and the Avatar.

Saba Anum, a Preen hero.

Uzgash, a Feral hero.

Eorthhed, a human mystic hero.

Lavan, a follower

Gorvin, a follower

Figures are all from Splintered Light, except the Preen which is my own sculpt.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 11:09:23 AM by Billchuck »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: Billchuck's 15mm fantasy
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 09:43:05 PM »
I like the Preen. Lovely little sculpt!

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 05:06:27 PM »
Definitely following this, as a fan of 5L and 15mm!

Are you allowed to say if the new 5L is adding in more races/magic? I do like the low-fantasy feel but a biiiiit more fantasy would be nice.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 01:31:36 PM »
I like the Preen. Lovely little sculpt!
Thanks!  He was a lot of fun to work on.  Your sculpting is a large part of what got me started.

I have some more sculpts going, but need to get some terrain finished first.

Definitely following this, as a fan of 5L and 15mm!

Are you allowed to say if the new 5L is adding in more races/magic? I do like the low-fantasy feel but a biiiiit more fantasy would be nice.
There are several races available for the player to use in the warband.  Magic users are included in the form of Mystics.  There are also various magical treasures to be found in the loot tables.

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 03:17:39 PM »
Sounds promising. The 5L rules so far do have some additional races and basic mystical magic but I'd like a little more... I suppose maybe one for expansions  lol

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 04:05:42 PM »
Sounds promising. The 5L rules so far do have some additional races and basic mystical magic but I'd like a little more... I suppose maybe one for expansions  lol
It’s definitely on the low magic end of things.  I don’t know what Ivan has lined up for the expansions.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
Re: Billchuck's 15mm fantasy: The Warband and the Region
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 11:07:33 AM »
The warband starts with four Heroes and two Followers.  There are tables that let you randomly select your heroes, but I chose them based on my figures.  Each hero gets rolls on several tables based on their background to determine initial skills, stat bonuses, and available equipment.  I won’t go into detail on the character creation rolls. 

After creating my warband, I need to make a map of the campaign region.  There is a set of tables to roll on (or pick from) to populate the map.

Villages
From the village tables, I learn the region has 5 villages:
* Evantun, a major trading post.
* Doerbryc, a minor manor.
* Montfeld, a tiny tribal camp.
* Lafstow, a tiny monastery.
* And Penceg, a minor farming community.

Threats
I chose three major threats, based on the miniatures I have:
* Bandits, in The Ruin Within.
* Ratmen, in The Gnawling Tribes.
* An invading army, in The Faceless Kingdom.
Each of these threats has a Camp shown on the map, and a Hideout that is hidden until I spend Adventure points to find it.
In addition, there is a Delve (ruined keep, mine, dungeon, or similar) and an Unknown Location that I place on the map.
It isn’t necessary to put all this on an actual map; you can use a simple list to keep track of the locations. But since that’s no fun, I took one of Dyson Logos’ maps and marked my locations on it, as you can see below.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 11:09:35 AM by Billchuck »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 03:08:51 PM »
Man, I do love a good map!

5 Leagues?

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 03:14:46 PM »
Man, I do love a good map!

5 Leagues?

Yes, I’m playing with a test copy of third edition.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
Re: Billchuck's 15mm fantasy (Campaign turn 1 & 2)
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 02:26:52 AM »
Wow, it's been a while since I posted here.  Sorry about that, life's been busy.  As they say, no plan survives contact with a 5 year old.

So, let's get into it.

Turn 1
On turn 1, my warband arrives in the region.  Because of this, there are no campaign actions and I go straight to travel.  I decide to travel to Evantun, and the travel roll tells me this trip is uneventful.  Because there was no battle I skip the post-battle events and roll on the News Travels table.  The townsfolk in Evantun are all talking about a monster that has been seen in the area; I add a hidden Monster Lair location to my list of hidden locations.

Turn 2
In Evantun, I roll on the town events table.  The law is cracking down here, and I won’t be able to use the Gambling action this turn.
I normally would pay 1D3 marks in upkeep.  Instead, I will Help the Town Guard as one of my actions this turn.
In addition I chose to Study.  I roll the Scouting skill, and assign it to Uzgash, who has no skills.
In the Trade phase, I roll a trade item, plus a second item because Evantun is a trading post.  A throwing knife and a religious icon are available, but I don’t buy anything.
I choose to explore the Unknown Location (B on the map).  As the party travels to the location, they see something interesting in the distance; I add another Unknown Location to the map.
When the party arrives, they discover a Tiny village.  I roll and find the village is a trading post, and I name it Acburn.
There is no battle. The party enters Acburn.  I roll News Travels: “My goodness, more strangers!  We haven’t had anyone come through here for years, and now we’ve had two groups in as many days!  The other folks said they are going up to Lafstow.” If I visit Lafstow within the next two turns, I can meet with the travelers.

At the end of turn 2, the map looks like this: