Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:46:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: hard science ruleset ?  (Read 5647 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
hard science ruleset ?
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:35:13 PM »
Hi,

I'm looking for a hard science near future (2020+) scifi ruleset, compatible with 10 or 15mm scale, from squad to company level ?

Is there anything like that available ?

thanks !

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Re: hard science ruleset ?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
I don't think you're going to find a game that's going to scale well form Squad up to company level. I'd advise finding specific rulesets for specific scopes of engagement.

These two work well at Platoon level, possibly a bit above.

Tomorrows War
Stargrunt II

I've also heard good things about Strike Legion, perhaps their "Platoon Leader" rules set would be worth looking into.

Lastly, there's Gruntz 15mm, which would be company level rules. Not totally sure, but I think it's a fairly flexible system that could be slanted toward Hard or Soft sci-fi.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 09:50:18 PM »
Also FUBAR excels at this, and it's free.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 12:24:22 AM »
thanks, I'll take a look. I'm not sure about the scale, I like squad games, but I would be happy to go to platoon level at least (or a bit bigger). I also prefer individual bases, so maybe platoon level should be the limit.

EDIT : I'm currently reading FUBAR rules and addons, I'm really impressed.

The system is very elegant and clever designed, the 1 page concept could allow me to fully translate the rules too, wich is a great feature. The rules are simple, I would probably be able to play games with my friends who are not miniature wargamers. It's simple, but not simplistic.

Another cool feature :  the rules covers a lot of universes and periods, and even if all share the same core system, each addon brings some specific flavour.

Last but not least, the activation method lends itself to solo gaming, with a few tweaks, to bring some unexpected.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 12:58:55 AM by sundayhero »

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 12:59:45 AM »
Also FUBAR excels at this, and it's free.

Agreed.  Fubar works well across genres and scales to anything.  It's my go-to ruleset. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline psychomo

• Assistant
    • Forest of Dean Gamers
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 09:01:18 AM »
I still play a lot of fast and dirty (http://www.freewebs.com/weaselfierce). I believe the v4 rules have options for HQ and playing larger scale games.

Checkout the online database of miniatures manufacturers at:
http://tabletop-gaming-directory.com/

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 04:32:51 PM »
thanks, I'll take a look on this new one.

Until yesterday, I have to admit that I was a bit snobbish with these free short/quick miniature rulesets, thinking that anything less than 60pages was too simplistic to be interesting !

Offline psychomo

• Assistant
    • Forest of Dean Gamers
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 06:01:18 PM »
I have played Fast and Dirty and FUBAR, I like both but tend to gravitate towards FAD as it still pretty simple but has lots of optional rules such as off hoard artillery, psychics, recovering wounded etc.

There are also traits and personalities you can add to units and a guide to creating your own troops and generating a points cost (if you are into that) or playing with randomised forces.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 06:24:40 PM »
I'm currently reading FAD, it's a "real big game" with no doubt. It could even probably be commercial.

It even has some solo rules in an addon, apparently ! Wich is a big feature for me.

I'll keep you informed once I will have readed it.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 06:35:40 AM »
I'm looking for a hard science near future (2020+) scifi ruleset, compatible with 10 or 15mm scale, from squad to company level ?
Defiance series (Vital Ground and Evolution of Arms) would works for that I think:
http://www.mj12games.com/defiance/

It's not extremely hard out of the box but if you leave out phase weapons and fields and maybe introduce the "realistic" mods found in the full VG rulebook (which sadly is not free) it becomes pretty gritty and near-futurish. It's compatible with 15mm (single miniature basing) and scales rather well from small skirmish to high platoon level at least, depending on what you use from its big toolbox (again only in the full rules, not free).

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 10:08:30 AM »
I too can confirm that FAD can easily cover hard science. It also has perhaps the best scenario creation rules and Fog of war system I have seen to date.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 10:52:15 AM »
For now my favorites are FUBAR and Tommorow's war.

FUBAR because it's simple but elegant, and easy to translate and mod.

Tommorow's war because it contains (regarding reviews I readed) rules for near future plausible warfare doctrines, with VTOL, fast roping strike forces, drones, evolved communication system (I believe they call it "GRID"). Last but not least, I already own a complete Force on Force dice set and I own Force on Force (even if I have to admit that I still didn't play it, and reading the book, I was a bit confused by the rules organisation in it).

Concerning game scale, as a (most of the time) solo gamer, I think that platoon or "reinforced" platoon would be the perfect size, especially since I prefer individual basing.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 11:00:02 AM »
I own Force on Force (even if I have to admit that I still didn't play it, and reading the book, I was a bit confused by the rules organisation in it).
Reading trough Tomorrow's war did the same for me, it never really got me and appeared overly complicated. I'm hoping to someday play it with a veteran player who can explain it.  lol

Part of the rules also didn't make sense to me. IIRC a laser squad support weapon improves the range of the entire squad. Something that does not really work for me.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »
Do you have any advises on a ruleset including these features :

rules for near future plausible warfare doctrines, with VTOL, fast roping strike forces, drones, evolved communication system

???

thanks

Online Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 11:40:35 AM »
Back from the dead, almost.