Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 02:08:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692100
  • Total Topics: 118441
  • Online Today: 655
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Back to Africa: Mirambo!  (Read 16958 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Back to Africa: Mirambo!
« on: April 23, 2010, 12:42:12 AM »

"We have beheld his Ruga Ruga, and they are many."  Mabruki

"The African Bonaparte." Henry Morton Stanley.

"We find him to be the dopest, flyest, O.G. pimp-hustler-gangster-player, hardcore M*** living today. To be honest I am totally and completely On. His. Dick." Queen Victoria.

Me again! This time we turn our attention to the lowly-born Nyamwezi trader-turned-warlord, Mirambo. Bought guns with his profits, gave them to orphaned teenage hooligans, who he then turned loose on all his neighbours, carving out an empire for himself in Tanganyika, to the horror of the established aristocracy.

Handy map of some of the warlords of the time. Mirambo's bit is slightly misleading, as he never actually captured Tabora from the Arabs; but that's the area where he did all his trouble-making, vying with the Arabs for control of the trade routes, and dominating the local tribes.

Anyway, enough pointing at the map with the end of my pipe, on with the pics...

Kicking things off with the command group. Mirambo (centre), flanked by one of his officers, his Brolly-bearer, drummer and two bodyguards (I might do more bodyguards later).

Mirambo: First Blood Part Two.

Decided to depict him in his "Arab robes and unruly Afro" period (like in the Osprey book), as it is a good look, and I think it suits him.

A loyal lieutenant. His officers and bodyguard wore a uniform of sorts. Red or red-and-white Arab robes, and a white or blue-and-white turban.

"A hardcore player from the streets: Rappin' bout hardcore topics over hardcore drum beats..."

Umbrella-bearer. Mirambo liked to fight in the front line with his men. His position on the battlefield would be marked by an umbrella held aloft which accompanied him. So I reckon we can justify using him as a standard-bearer in T&T games. This is my favourite figure of the bunch, I think. He's just totally ridiculous and makes me laugh whenever I look at him.

A young man who certainly knows what he wants and how to get it. Under-dressed compared with many of the Foundry Ruga Ruga, but he has the essential piece of kit, the ngazia: A strip of red cloth of symbolic significance, used to taunt the enemy: "This is your blood! This is your blood!"

When it comes to the massed horde of Ruga Ruga I'm going to divide them into two types. Mirambo preferred to use young teenage warriors when attacking. They would be recklessly brave to the point of stupidity (and death) in trying to catch his eye during a battle (for the tall poppies got more share of the loot). When defending he preferred older married men, men with something to defend who would stand their ground when things got desperate. So I'm going to try and reflect this in my army, giving them stats and bonuses appropriate to their type (though I haven't actually figured the details out yet).

For ease of identification on the tabletop they will be nicknamed "Youngbloods" and "Old Hands" and be represented by slightly different figure types. The former will be depicted using figures that are more "tribal" in appearance - they are new at the game and haven't acquired all the Arab bling yet. The Old Hands will be represented by figures decked out in flowing Arab robes and wearing turbans and headdresses, which they have gained through trading their plunder, or through direct plundering.

The Ruga Ruga will be backed up by a unit of more traditional Nyamwezi spearmen (Ruga Ruga in waiting, who haven't got guns yet), and a unit of Tuta allies/mercenaries.

First batch of Youngbloods:

Original Gangster.

That's it for now.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
Re: Back to Africa: Mirambo!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:01:24 AM »
[quote author=Plynkes

Me again! This time we turn our attention to the lowly-born Nyamwezi trader-turned-warlord, Mirambo. Bought guns with his profits, gave them to orphaned teenage hooligans, who he then turned loose on all his neighbours, carving out an empire for himself in Tanganyika, to the horror of the established aristocracy.
[/quote]

Sad to read that even 100 years ago or more warlords were arming kids in Africa. Mr Plynkes sir, excellent read and looking a very exciting project. I look forward to reading more, and even hopefully, some battle reports, your style is always entertaining and inspiring.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 01:54:18 AM »
Excellent stuff. I've got Africans on the painting que right now (behind WWI stuff). Your posts always inspire me to get them going.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 02:01:14 AM »
That's just great stuff!

way to go!
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:11:23 AM »
Wonderful article and great models !

I laughed hard at Queen Victoria's quote.  However, should'nt she use the Royal 'WE' in the second sentence as well. 

Please tell me where I can score the figure with the Betty over his shoulder.  PLEASE do not tell me it is a Plynkes conversion ! 

Also interested in the body of the Mirambo figure - who makes it? 

Dying to know.

Chick
"Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 05:21:40 AM »
You have some really nice looking figures there. Your painting and basing are both very nicely done. You must be very pleased to use these "works of art" on your gaming table. Thanks for sharing and well done sir!!
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 06:32:21 AM »
This is really outstanding - from research to execution. Fabulous skin tones and all. Hat off!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 07:21:34 AM »
Fab stuff, the skin tones are excellent. Brilliant research and hilarious summary!  :)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 07:37:37 AM »
Lovely stuff :-* :-*
As mentioned by the others the skins tones are great.
Have you converted alot of these figures or are they straight off the shelf?
If you have converted ones can you tell us which ones and what you have done to them?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 07:56:02 AM »
Plynkes, my dear, you've doneit again. Are all these minis Foundry? I do not recognize them?

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 08:02:42 AM »
Mirabilis ars ;D
compliments as usually a great stuff
Piero

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 08:11:58 AM »
Much niceness Mr P. :-*
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 08:25:34 AM »
Have to agree with the others, wonderful stuff. :-*
 I thnk my most favourite of your recent prolific postings.
Excellent conversions, love the Mirambo take two with umbrella and the captive girl pair. Delightful  ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 08:32:07 AM »
Have to agree with the others, wonderful stuff. :-*
 I thnk my most favourite of your recent prolific postings.
Excellent conversions, love the Mirambo take two with umbrella and the captive girl pair. Delightful  ;D

Aye, there's a dark streak in the theme which I like.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 08:42:14 AM »
Simply fabulous.   :)